Jager336

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
1. Will having one RAM module with CL2.5 and one with CL2 screw anything up? I know it won't give me the full performance increase of CL2, but it's just until I can afford another module.
2.Basically I'm trying to make a "Compress" and "Uncompress" shell extension for directories and files. The directory part was no problem, but how would I do so with files? I can't seem to find a universal "File" entry in the registry, like that of "Folder" or "Directory". I tried using the "*.*" entry to do this but only ended up with something along the lines of "This file does not have a command registered with it" (vague memory). Can someone help me out with this? Also, would it be possible to, e.g., create one shell extension with something like "Compress/Uncompress" where it checks and sees if the directory/file is already compressed, and if so, uncompresses it, and vice-versa, or maybe just have the Compress option show up on uncompressed files/directories' context menu, and vice-versa? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

If you're curious I'm doing this because with files like zip and rar I have to open a different program, or use XP's built-in zip support, which basically treats it as a new directory, which I don't want.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
do you mean like using a wildcard...in that case it is supported...and you would use *.rar or *.zip

Youc can use both modules together...the timming of both will be cas 2.5 though but it should work...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

Jager336

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
1. Well, I'm not really talking about formats like zip and rar. XP has a commandline option called compact, which is what's used when using the cleanup wizard and you choose to compress files. I'm trying to get the "Compress/Uncompress" option on the context menu for ANY file, even the unknown extentions, but so far the only way I can see to do this would be to manually add the context menu command to every file type specified in the registry, by adding "compact" or somesuch and then command "cmd.exe /k compact /s:%1" under the Shell key of every type defined in the HKCR hive.

I know this isn't memory related, but I wanted to avoid making too many posts that could be avoided by asking both Qs in one.

2. So basically I wouldn't see any more performance increase with, say, 1x CL2.5 module 512MB and 1x CL2 module 512MB than I would with 2x CL2.5 modules 512MB (all other timings aside)?
A little more specific, before I had two modules, PNY, DDR333 512MB CL 2.5, one died just today, now I'm considering replacing the dead one with Kingston HyperX series 512MB DDR333 CL 2, but if I understood right, this wouldn't offer any performance increase over my before config with the "cheap" RAM, since I'm still using one PNY module?
Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but it's the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset, so Dual DDR is available, assuming I have modules that support it.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
*.*
If I understand correctly...

I don't feel that what you want to do is possible. Windows wants to associate a <b>unique action</b> to file extension. No wildcards in the extension (as far as I know).

You can run a program against a list of files, directory, list of directories, or any selection criteria (etc.) you wish to specify (you're the programmer). However, for the click mechanism to work (I guess for the way it is specified to work), to avoid possible confusion and overlap, windows wants unique associations.

You can have many extentions to one program (eg. winrar, or winzip) but you can't have many programs to one extension. If you have ever tried to install two install winrar and winzip you will see that there is overlap but <b>only one program</b> eventually will do the work for a click (or doubleclick) on that file.

In short, MS just defined it that way. Pretty much the same in Linux or CDE (Common Desktop Environment).

Anyway, maybe someone more knowledgeable, on how this works on a lower level, can find a way.

The loving are the daring!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yes you are exactly right...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool: