Sign in with
Your question

Formatting Problems

Last response: in Storage
August 2, 2003 5:01:13 AM

Ok, i tried formatting my harddrive using a win98 boot disk but the floppy drive does not work well at all. so i got it to boot on the floppy (barely) and formatted the drive. i then put in my winxp boot disk(s) and it just freezes on the 6th one and continues to do so every time i try it.
so then i decide to put the hard drive in another machine, boot it up with the winxp boot disk just fine and install windows xp. it loads up just fine on this machine.
then i put the hdd back in the original machine and i boot it up only to get a black screen. no beeps, nothing. it seems like the hdd isnt getting power but i know i connected it correctly. the motherboard and cdrom's are getting power but the floppy drive and the hdd dont.

any help here?

More about : formatting problems

August 2, 2003 7:05:07 AM

That doesn't sound like a hard drive problem to me, more like a power problem.

But wait, you said the machine worked up to disk 6 before, with that hard drive in, and now it won't work at all. That sounds more like a reversed IDE cable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 2, 2003 7:05:49 AM

BTW, if your IDE light on your case works, a reversed IDE cable will cause that light to stay on constantly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
August 2, 2003 8:23:46 AM

tried that, no luck :\
it seems like the hd is spinning but very very slightly. i put it back in my other machine and it works just fine. could this be a power supply problem or am i not connecting something right?
August 2, 2003 8:56:47 AM

oh my, could this be a bad mobo? when i turn it on, i just get a black screen, shouldnt the bios come up? shouldnt i see SOMETHING?
August 2, 2003 12:32:36 PM

Aren't there anti-"piracy" features built in to XP?
Like if you change too much hardware you have to reinstall?

I don't think you can just move XP but I'm not 100% sure you shouldn't get at least something showing up.

Swap diskette drives with the other machine!

The loving are the daring!
August 2, 2003 3:09:51 PM

No WinXP will still install or take you to an activation screen, but you can bypass that because you have 30days to activate it.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
August 2, 2003 3:16:37 PM

Make sure everything is properly installed and connected, right down to the proper M/B mounting studs only matching up with the holes on the M/B, sounds like a grounded out M/B from a stud that shouldn't be there, or something not properly connected, or a bad M/B.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
August 2, 2003 10:02:39 PM

Whenever I have the anti-piracy thing stop me, it says "loading Windows XP", then gives me an error, then reboots me. It's not like a black screen without POST would be.

!