Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a Smartphone? Read This First!

Last response: in General Connectivity
December 5, 2006 3:11:01 PM

All the smarts you need to buy a phone with the power of a computer, not a computer masquerading as a phone.

More about : smartphone read

December 5, 2006 8:04:35 PM

Cingular's new 3G service is 400K to 700K downloads. You need to update your chart.
December 6, 2006 4:09:59 AM

THG:

You're providing a lot of good information. But this is all usless if the sales people at the phone service store have no idea what you are talking about.
"Can I use a cell phone as normal phone then connect to a modem?" Huh?
"Can I connect my wireless GPRS & GSM Internet connection to my PC via bluetooth and mapped serial port?" Huh?
"What is the name of the local access point?" Huh?
"Can I get the service without the free phone?" Huh?
"Can I use the cell phone camera as a web-cam when connected to the PC?" Huh?
"Your store only has 5 phones, can I just get a phone from the Nokia site that use the same bands as your service?" Huh?
"The keypad is too small for typing, can I find a bluetooth-Symban keyboard?" Huh?
"What Symbian browser works best at viewing full-size java-script web pages?" Huh?
"How can I connect the bluetooth GPS to my phone?" Huh?
"Can I download new ring-tones" Sure!

I don't have much luck in the U.S. or in Asia, but at least Asia has a LOT more phones and flexable service available. I hope Europe is better. (Please yell if I am wrong about something)
Related resources
December 7, 2006 12:20:48 AM

We service numerous clients that have a large spectrum of PDA phones from Black Berry products to the newer Motorola Q. One model that seems to be missed and should be place at the top of the heap when smart phones or PDA’s are discussed is the Samsung I730 with Windows Mobile 5.0. This phone is after being released last year, is still one of the fastest processors (520MHz Intel XScale) and 128 mb of ram to boot. With full pocket excel, word, and power point. One must give the I730 solid look when entertaining the purchase of a new smart phone of PDA in an enterprise market or for personal use.
December 7, 2006 4:13:36 AM

One glaring omission (to me at least!) are the Palm (or Access) OS smartphones - even if you have to import it yourself!

Then to compete with the Pearl/Q and i600 - Palm Treos! I've got a Treo 650 and I'm planning to get the 680 as soon as it's out here (South Africa)!

Now if Palm can just deliver a 320*480 screen Treo with a slide-out keyboard! Then I can get rid of my LifeDrive as well! And my wife would gladly swop her Moto V3X for a Treo flip-phone if it was available!
January 5, 2007 1:06:17 PM

So what operating system is the RAZR? And since when is Microsoft anything open source? Did you even research this? Holy crap, how do I apply for your job?
January 6, 2007 1:07:05 AM

I looked and I can not verify if the Razr is Symbian. (I also didn't but it yet)
It does have browser, so it must have at least some kind of Java.
January 6, 2007 3:04:56 AM

Look, I'm really not trying to flame anyone. Its just that I recently bought a notebook, something I'm not too smart on, and found one of the articles on notebooks quite useful.
As a result, I added "mobility guru" to my google rss feeds. Then I see an article on something I do know something about, and it has the look of someone who crunched out an essay with a deadline in mind. If you're really looking to get the "Skinny" on Smart- or any other mobile phones, try
www.mobileburn.com,
www.mobile-review.com,
www.bengalboy.com,
www.howardforums.com,

or a myriad of other sites available through google rss feeds.

And by the way, I have two v3i's, and no, the RAZR in any form, does not use symbian. Most modern cell phones use java (or in the case of mobile technology, J2ME), that definitely doesn't make them "smart". My SE w810 has what appear at a quick glance, more features than moto's e6, which runs on linux (smart). The w810 is capable of rendering 3d graphics, as well as many other "smart-type" features, but it still isn't "smart".

Well, whatever, I still have my day job...
January 6, 2007 3:23:06 AM

I like high-powered phones doing productive work far away from (everything)
You mention the SE w810.

Can you recommend a phone for:
browsing real web-pages with java-script and Java VM
GPS / maps
download software for IM, PDF Viewer, etc
4 band
WiFi & bluetooth
unlocked
import/export to office files.
good media player
a real USB cable and SD card
all the normal phone features

I was thinking of a PPC or Symbian phone. But can a Linux phone do all this ? (I don't know as much about Linux phones)

I thought of the HP hw6945, but I thought you might have a better idea.
Something more computer-like than the 6945 or smaller/slimmer (phone like) than the 6945 will be great.
I will also read the links you suggest,
Thanks!
January 6, 2007 5:48:04 PM

Quote:
I like high-powered phones doing productive work far away from (everything)
You mention the SE w810.

Can you recommend a phone for:
browsing real web-pages with java-script and Java VM
GPS / maps
download software for IM, PDF Viewer, etc
4 band
WiFi & bluetooth
unlocked
import/export to office files.
good media player
a real USB cable and SD card
all the normal phone features

I was thinking of a PPC or Symbian phone. But can a Linux phone do all this ? (I don't know as much about Linux phones)

I thought of the HP hw6945, but I thought you might have a better idea.
Something more computer-like than the 6945 or smaller/slimmer (phone like) than the 6945 will be great.
I will also read the links you suggest,
Thanks!

Don't get me wrong. There currently isn't a phone on the market that I would trade my W810 for; but I know it can't handle the office applications (although I do have some microsoft mini apps that I haven't tried).

You know, its funny to note that a triband phone was considered a "world phone" less than a year ago; now people say things like "if its not quadband, it won't work in the states".

So basically you want a "smart" SLVR with wif. who doesn't. The nokia n80 is supposed to get so hot during wifi conversations that it actually becomes painful to touch.

You might want to sit back and wait a quarter or two, and see if they work out the bugs. If wifi isn't such a big deal, then check out:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=2978&source=HOM...

windows mobile and its basically a SLVR. not too shabby.
!