FTP dosent work on MN-500 from an externa N/W

Last response: in Networking
June 8, 2004 2:11:23 PM

Hi,

I have a MN-500 product, I am trying to set up a FTP
server and i have placed my machine in the DMZ zone, I am
able to FTP on the internal Address. If i need to access
the box from an external network what setting do i need
to do on the base station, I did make changes to the port
forwarding to accomdate port 21. But still i am not able
to get to my box from the external N/W.

I have cable connection and the IP is DHCP but seems to
be the same IP for most of the time.

Any articles for setting up would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help
Belur
June 8, 2004 3:35:40 PM

Dear Belur,

What firewall are you using on the FTP server? ZoneAlarm
or WinXP ICS? If it is set to consider your MN-500 LAN
a "trusted" zone, then different rules apply when
accessing from the Internet, by default.

If you indeed have the FTP server in the DMZ, ALL your
ports are open without a firewall. "Port forwarding" is
meaningless in this situation as there is no "forwarding"
involved.

To access the serve external to the MN-500 LAN, you must
use the IP assigned by the ISP's DHCP. You must also
access through a PC which allows FTP traffic (i.e.,
unrestricted by its own firewall or router/firewall/proxy
from FTP traffic).

When you eventually get your FTP server working, get it
off the DMZ and into the NAT firewall of the MN-500;
assign it a static IP; use "permanent port forwarding"
for port 21. In fact, I might suggest diabling your
software firewalls and putting the FTP server behind the
MN-500 NAT NOW and trying it with port forwarding.

Good Luck

June 8, 2004 5:21:18 PM

Which version of the firmware are you running?

!