Sign in with
Your question

Blank screen after windows loads?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 18, 2012 7:11:34 AM

I opened up my PC to move the front audio cable so that it wasn't sitting on the graphics card (was causing EM interference).

When I tried to reboot, my computer now gets to the windows loading screen, then stops outputting video - so the monitor goes blank and eventually turns off. Windows continues to load in the background as I can hear the startup sound play.

Any ideas if this is likely to be a hardware failure / software failure?

Computer Setup:
Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU
Gigabyte 670 GTX Factory OC GFX Card
4GB RAM (I think XMS2)
500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm HDD
Corsair 650W modular PSU
Linksys PCIE wireless card (can't remember model)

Things I have tried:
1) Booting into safe mode (works fine, can view the desktop etc.)
2) Booting into low resolution mode (doesn't work, same issue)
3) Booting into safe mode, un-installing the graphics card, booting into normal mode and reinstalling drivers for graphics card (doesn't work, same issue)
4) Trying a different PCI-E slot (doesn't work, same issue)
5) Trying a different output on the graphics card (doesn't work, same issue)
6) Hard CMOS reset (doesn't work, same issue)
7) Trying a different graphics card (even worse, didn't get any video out even at BIOS screen - can't guarantee card is working as I don't have a second machine to test with but it was working the last time I used it a couple of months ago. Second card was ATI rather than Nvidia so shouldn't be using same drivers).

Things I intend to try but haven't had time:
1) Plugging into a different monitor (heard some people mentioning it may be to do with the monitor drivers not reporting max screen settings properly, I could find any windows 7 x64 drivers for my monitor as its so old but I do have a TV I can test with)
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 7:47:58 AM

Sounds like some obscure software problem, driver related, but as refreshing the driver doesn't work I'd be tempted to re-install Windows....
m
l
July 18, 2012 8:45:30 AM

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Desperately trying to avoid it though because of the time waste and the fact I've used up all my installs for my licence so I've got to phone Microsoft and get it de-registered from the old comps I don't use any more = mega fun!

I'm glad you don't reckon its hardware related though, although most of the components are old (bar gfx card) I don't really have the cash for upgrade atm.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:51:26 AM

Windows can be repaired without re-installing and losing all, but I can't remember the steps... (Not the 'repair' facility from F8...)
m
l
July 18, 2012 9:39:02 AM

Cool, I'll give it ago after I've exhausted everything else. I can get out of safe mode by un-installing the GFX drivers - it then defaults to some Standard VGA Graphics driver (which works but cannot be above a VGA resolution).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 10:53:01 AM

boot the PC with a different card, and see what happens.
m
l
July 18, 2012 11:00:21 AM

frombehind said:
boot the PC with a different card, and see what happens.

In OP, already tried that.
m
l
July 18, 2012 11:43:57 AM

It could be one of 2 things your frequency may be too high for your monitor or you may have some damage to system files.

Try this Why is my screen black when I start Windows 7?

In computer right click C drive and select properties then pick tools tab and error checking tick off both boxes and say yes to scan on next boot restart your computer you may have to do this twice.
If this still does not work open a command prompt as administrator in safemode and type sfc /scannow
m
l
July 19, 2012 6:47:23 AM

Solved, apparently it is a problem with the piece of crap monitor I have. The computer was hardware/software/firmware was all fine otherwise. Shame I didn't find this before going through numerous other things, but if anyone else has the Viewsonic VX2025WM:

a) Throw it away and get a new monitor
b) Follow the instructions in this post, the DVI port can sometimes stop working randomly:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/185719-15-6600-view...
m
l
!