Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Possible Adware?!

Last response: in Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:41:41 AM

Hi,

I don't remember downloading anything (and honestly I'm pretty computer savvy, so this is really odd), but all of a sudden I am receiving popups when I browse the internet.

My Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Firefox 13.0.1 + Adblocker

What I have done:
Ran Avast Full Scan
Ran Combofix
Ran Malwarebytes

None of these programs have detected anything, but I know that having popups come up all the time isn't normal (not to mention this hasn't ever happened before until recently). If anyone has a clue or suggestion, please let me know! Thank you!

More about : adware

a b 8 Security
a c 367 $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 1:44:52 PM

What type of pop-ups? Regular ads from sites? Or non-related to the site you are on?
Score
July 18, 2012 1:50:00 PM

Are they pop-ups when browsing sites like say....this one? I use google chrome and combat those popups with the Adblock add-on.

CJ
Score
Related resources
July 18, 2012 8:23:28 PM

They seem to popup whenever they want to, and never have anything to do with the website. Its those kind that have a window popup when you try to close asking if you "really want to close".
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:24:37 PM

Hi :) 

Virus....

All the best Brett :) 
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:32:24 PM

empty your tempory files

viruses like to hide in these, especially ones that you get from the internet

most people dont look in there

there is a free tool you can try which works well

dr webs cure it

here is a link

https://www.freedrweb.com/download+cureit+free/?lng=en
July 18, 2012 8:48:53 PM

Thanks, I went ahead and cleaned out all temporary files and anything of the like. I have also installed Dr. Web and I am doing a scan now.
Score
July 18, 2012 10:13:28 PM

I think cleaning out my temporary files fixed it, I haven't had it happen since. Not to mention Dr. Web said nothing was found. Thanks for your help!

Edit: Uh, spoke too soon. Still getting popups.
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 11:21:23 PM

Xmsteel said:
I think cleaning out my temporary files fixed it, I haven't had it happen since. Not to mention Dr. Web said nothing was found. Thanks for your help!

Edit: Uh, spoke too soon. Still getting popups.

Download MALWAREBYTES (its free) and update it then run a full scan in Safe Mode...

Score
July 19, 2012 3:29:05 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Download MALWAREBYTES (its free) and update it then run a full scan in Safe Mode...

Ran a full scan with this program, but it didn't find anything.
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 367 $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 2:03:22 PM

This could be coming from the sites. If you go to a large commercial site like www.msn.com, does this happen? The only time I have seen this stuff come up is when the site was infected or was made to install something on your computer.
Score
July 19, 2012 8:51:15 PM

Xmsteel said:
Hi,

I don't remember downloading anything (and honestly I'm pretty computer savvy, so this is really odd), but all of a sudden I am receiving popups when I browse the internet.

My Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Firefox 13.0.1 + Adblocker

What I have done:
Ran Avast Full Scan
Ran Combofix
Ran Malwarebytes

None of these programs have detected anything, but I know that having popups come up all the time isn't normal (not to mention this hasn't ever happened before until recently). If anyone has a clue or suggestion, please let me know! Thank you!

Does this only happen when you surf? If not, what does the ads say?

If it's only happening when you surf, I would suggest that you update to the latest release of Firefox (14) and grab the following add-ons: NoScript, Adblock Plus, and DNT+
Score
July 20, 2012 2:03:29 AM

Rahmia said:
Does this only happen when you surf? If not, what does the ads say?

If it's only happening when you surf, I would suggest that you update to the latest release of Firefox (14) and grab the following add-ons: NoScript, Adblock Plus, and DNT+

It is only when I surf. I have the latest firefox, and also have Adblock Plus installed. I went ahead and ran spybot and it detected 9 adware linked things in my registry, but said it took care of all of them. However, I am still getting popups.

Actually, I guess the correct term would be pop-unders.
Score
July 20, 2012 1:58:44 PM

I highly recommend installing NoScript add-on then. You'll have the benefit of being more secure by blocking all scripts from running unless you specifically say its ok, that should take care of them pesky pop-ups.

I run NoScript, AdBlock Plus, and DNT+ (Do Not Track +), between them three add-ons, I haven't seen any ads or pop-ups in several years since I had them installed, I only see what I want to see.
Score
July 20, 2012 4:09:38 PM

Rahmia said:
I highly recommend installing NoScript add-on then. You'll have the benefit of being more secure by blocking all scripts from running unless you specifically say its ok, that should take care of them pesky pop-ups.

I run NoScript, AdBlock Plus, and DNT+ (Do Not Track +), between them three add-ons, I haven't seen any ads or pop-ups in several years since I had them installed, I only see what I want to see.

I've installed DNT+ (which by the way seems to be an AWESOME add-on, thank you!), but will hold on NoScript until I see another popup or problem arise. (It honestly sounds like it would be more hassle than benefit; In my opinion).

Thanks again though, I'm loving DNT+.
Score
July 21, 2012 6:24:51 AM

Still getting the annoying popups/unders.

If I upload a hijackthis log, could someone tell what the problem is?
Score
July 24, 2012 12:15:28 PM

Install noScript and be done with it...you are spending more time trying to figure out the issue than you would clicking the noScript icon to allow the content...Once a page is deemed OK by you, noScript will always remember...

CJ
Score
July 24, 2012 9:30:37 PM

Cjsparky said:
Install noScript and be done with it...you are spending more time trying to figure out the issue than you would clicking the noScript icon to allow the content...Once a page is deemed OK by you, noScript will always remember...

CJ

If the problem is spyware/adware, then I'd prefer to get rid of them problem instead of covering it up. However nothing seems to help, so I might as well just go ahead and do that.
Score
July 25, 2012 1:21:01 PM

If you are only getting the popups/unders while surfing, it is more likely scripts on a page causing them.
Score
July 25, 2012 4:53:13 PM

Cjsparky said:
If you are only getting the popups/unders while surfing, it is more likely scripts on a page causing them.

Firefox keeps saying that there is an error why I try to download No Script. Is it compatible with 14.0.1?
Score
July 25, 2012 5:11:41 PM

Xmsteel said:
Firefox keeps saying that there is an error why I try to download No Script. Is it compatible with 14.0.1?

You downloading from here???

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript...

Works no issues for me. 14.0.1

If it will not install I would be suspicious of malware preventing it.

Score
July 25, 2012 5:29:58 PM

Cjsparky said:
You downloading from here???

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript...

Works no issues for me. 14.0.1

If it will not install I would be suspicious of malware preventing it.

Alright that worked, thanks. I was attempting to download it from the "Get Add-ons" tab.
Score
July 25, 2012 8:35:21 PM

Xmsteel said:
Alright that worked, thanks. I was attempting to download it from the "Get Add-ons" tab.

Did it correct the issue?
Score
July 25, 2012 9:06:00 PM

Cjsparky said:
Did it correct the issue?

I didn't seem to get ads while using it, but it seemed to block every website and was difficult to get it to allow (not to mention I don't want to allow whatever is causing the ads).
Score
July 26, 2012 12:43:07 PM

Yeah the first week or so surfing to your sites are a bit of a pain in allowing different scripts, but i believe it is site specific, and it remembers for the next time you surf to the site. It gets easier to use once you are used to it, and surfing will be seamless to your trusted sites in no time!
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 411 $ Windows 7
July 26, 2012 12:45:00 PM

Firefox with adblock and ghostery.
Score
July 26, 2012 12:45:08 PM

The only thing that frustrates me are the mouseover popups like here on Toms. Adblock corrected those for me on chrome.
Score
July 26, 2012 11:19:01 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Firefox with adblock and ghostery.

Have both, still getting the ads.
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 411 $ Windows 7
July 26, 2012 11:42:43 PM

Then you have malware!
Score
July 26, 2012 11:48:28 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Then you have malware!

And no matter what I do I can't get rid of it. Used combofix (which usually always works), Avast, malwarebytes, spybot, etc etc.
Score
July 27, 2012 12:19:08 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
http://www.surfright.nl/en

Scanned with both. Multiple problems found with Hitman, most of which were tracking cookies, but it also found Punkbuster (A anti-cheat device used in popular games) as a threat.

Anyhow, hopefully between those two programs it removed anything that might have been dangerous.
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 411 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2012 12:27:30 AM

Punkbuster usually just for online gaming.
Score
July 27, 2012 1:32:55 AM

Well, I still get popunders every so often, but now its just a blank page.
Score
July 28, 2012 7:22:56 AM

Good news:

I fully uninstalled firefox, as well as searched my computer for ANY file/program containing mozilla or firefox in the name. Once I did that, I fixed and registry errors/problems and cleaned up my PC with CCleaner. I rebooted, reinstalled firefox, and I haven't had a problem since.

Sure hope that fixed it!
Score
August 7, 2012 9:44:55 PM

Best answer selected by xmsteel.
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 411 $ Windows 7
August 7, 2012 10:16:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!