How do I know if dual channel is working?

skiZtch

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I've got 2x512 geil chips in slots 1 and 3 on my MSI K7N2-delta mobo (this is where the manual says to place the chips for dual channel)

My question-how do i know if my system is running in dual channel?
also: my memmory timings are 8.4.4 with CAS of 2.5. can i change those settings and how much? can i do CAS 2?

Skiztch

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Never see K7N2-Delta before, don't you get the memory info durng POST? A7N8X has indicator during POST stating it's running dual-channel or not. If not, download CPU-Z, the latest version is 1.19, which also tell you the memory channel.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Sometimes the BIOS detects the memory timings from the SPD as slower than they should be. You should find out which timings you memory is specified to run in, and use those. Some boards aren't able to run at very good timings, but I don't think it's the case here since those are pretty slow.

I had a much better usertitle but was caught trying to hack me a better one so I got my current title as a punishment

skiZtch

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
cpu-z works great, thanks. Except, not all the ram info shows up, such as frequency and FSB DRAM among other things. Also, all the "Dimm #_" modules information don't show anything. (if you goto the about tab and under tools his memory spd, none of the dimms have any info under them)

SkiZtch

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Well, CPU-Z shows memory channel and timing, the frequency should be equal to your CPU FSB, the FSB:DRAM should be 1:1. Even it doesn't tells you, this is the way you should run on nForce2 platform. About the DIMM module only shows as DDR-SDRAM without the manufacturer info, maybe CPU-Z is unable to read the DIMM info...

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>