DarKAzNKiD

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
What PS in your opinion is better for a Dell 8200...a Zalman-apf400 or a pc power & cooling silencer-400? Money isnt a really big deal...I mostly wanna know if there is a difference because the Zalman is about 70-90 dollars.. while the pc power & cooling is 143 dollars. Thanks.

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
dell's parts are totally proprietory. if you want want a new one you are going to have to contact dell directly for a replacement.

svol

Champion
Dell uses their own mobo cable pin configuration so ion many cases (some of their PCs come with a normal ATX pin configuration) normal PSUs don't work without a pin adapter.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

DarKAzNKiD

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Well...I asked PC power and cooling why their PS were only compatible with Dell...and they claim that Dell stopped using propietary mobos 2 years ago...but some people been saying that they still use it and some are saying that they dont... so im not really sure who to trust...as for dell their techs said that you couldnt put any higher wattage PS in my cpu...but who the hell believes dell's techs?

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Svol,

Would one be able to tell the proprietary pin connection from a regular one. For example if the gentleman took it into a computer store, would they be able to tell him if it is propietary or not? Or perhaps if he compared it to a friends regular PSU?

----------------
P.S. You might have to get a really good PSU, if at all possible :frown: . I have heard (long ago and 2nd hand) that Dell PSU might require tighter tolerances on voltages and signal to work properly.

The loving are the daring!

svol

Champion
Yes definantly... atleast when the wires are coloured. IIRC Dell still uses the standard wire colours so comparing it with a 100% sure ATX PSU can give the information wanted.

As for the PSU quality... I never heard that before.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
I don't think there will be any problem installing a new psu in 8200 as this is fairly new model and not likely to have proprietary psu design or connectors on mobo

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
pc power and cooling make the best powersupplies out of any brand i have ever heard of...they recomend the Dell psu's specifically for dell...so it should work...

You are definitly getting the HIGHEST quality psu on the market...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile: