Windows update error

blabay

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I keep getting the "NTVDM CPU has encountered and illegal instruction" every time windows update tries to run (wuauclt.exe) and updates won't install. This started after the new Windows UPdate Agent was installed around 6/14. All updates have failed since then, I just get the popup errors. I ran several scans with Malwarebytes, Spybot, AVG and nothing was found. I ran the Fixit tool from MS and it indicated that there was a problem with windows update agent and the problem was fixed, but it still doesn't work. I'd love to reinstall windows update agent, but windows won't let me. Even the \wuforce command won't force a reinstall. Does anyone have any ideas?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Sounds like you may have a rootkit, most rootkits disable updates try running tdsskiller.
Also after that uninstall avg restart your machine download Combofix and run it.
Then restart your machine and try updating and see if it works.

blabay

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
tdsskiller found nothing. I used the AVG removal tool to uninstall AVG. I ran Combofix, but it took so long I went to bed before it finished. The computer was shut down this morning, so I booted up and the problem is still there.

blabay

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
On the suggestion of someone on another forum, I did the following:

Resetting windows updates didn't help
Uninstalled all AV programs, used AVG cleaner, ran MSE, MSE found nothing
Ran SFC 3 times, it says it found corrupt files but could not fix them. I saved the CBS.log file and could post it if necessary.