Who Uses Samsung And Winbond Memory Chips?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Which major, quality memory module manufacturers use Samsung and/or Winbond chips on their memory sticks? I'm looking for 512MB sticks in matched pairs - for use with the Asus P4P800 mainboard (Intel 865PE Chipset). PC3200 or PC3500 - DDR400 or DDR433?
Thanks

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
off the top of my head...kingston corsair and twinmos are the manufactueres who use winbounds...there are probably many more...

About samsung...i really don't know..

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
what do you mean contracting out? Do you mean micron was making memory for samsung?

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Do you have a specific product # or spec for OCZ? I recall reading some negative quality posts about OCZ not that long ago. In the AnandTech review - an OCZ "beta" was used - I like modules that I can actually see and buy.

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b>

LonMax

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
Samsung is the worst memory on the planet. Why would you call it quality? The failure rate on Samsung chips is probably the highest in the industry. Almost Every memory chip I replaced in company computers in the last 10 years was Samsung memory. And it doesn't overclock either.

Now the funny thing about the question is that you can go right to ASUS's web page, and as soon as you click on this motherboard under products.... sha-blam! WOW! It has a memory matrix that answers all of the questions you asked!! Hot Damn! Can you believe that!

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Actually - that's contrary to what I've read from other users. Samsung has always rated high - but I can tell you know more than anyone else. As for the vendor list - it's imcomplete. I'm looking for user advice as to sticks that use those 2 chips - but thanks for your (sarcastic) reply. Have a nice day, stranger.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
According to a recent <A HREF="http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/ocz3700/4.shtml" target="_new">LostCircuits OCZ PC3700 EL DDR Gold Dual-Channel Memory Review</A>, despite what is claimed OCZ does not manufacture memory chips. For example, it was revealed in the review that the said memory module uses Samsung memory:
We have read it over and over, OCZ is using their own Enhanced Latency 4 ns memory chips. Truth is that OCZ does not manufacture memory chips, rather, the original markings are blasted off using a CO2 laser and the discreets are then laser-remarked to sport the OCZ label with the -40 (4 ns) rating. It takes a flashlight shining obliquely on the surface, though, to bring out the original markings: K4H280838E-TCB3 where

K4: <b>Samsung</b>
With respect to OCZ, i don't have enough information (mainly springdale compatibility information) to determine which PC3200 or PC3500 512MB memory module would be recommendable in this case. I'm also not 100 percent sure if these OCZ PC3200/PC3500 512MB memory modules use samsung or winbond.

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Sorry, bad terminology. Samsung was making chips for the Crucial label. Don't know what the problem was there, if Micron was laying off at the time or what, but I got a stick of PC2700 that had both Crucial and Samsung labels on it. After e-mailing Crucial back and forth a few times, they finally sent me an official statement that said, in a nutshell, that Crucial would buy chips from other manufacturers on occasion when demand outstripped their current supply and inventory.
-Brett

>what do you mean contracting out? Do you mean micron was making memory for samsung?<

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I've read several "shaddy" reviews of OCZ - knowing little else, I would shy away from them if possible.

As for Samsung, their chips (256 & 512MB) are the only full line I noticed that <A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-d/overview.htm" target="_new">Asus</A> "qualifies" to run with a single stick, 2 sticks DDR and 4 sticks in DDR. After looking at Samsungs site - seemed to me that they made chips for other vendors to build their modules with.

The previous poster who damned Samsung was the 1st negative I've read. Hell, he may be right - but I don't know.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
By searching the <A HREF="http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/" target="_new">Mushkin forum</A>, i've found that Mushkin Level 1 uses Winbond CH-5 and Level 2 uses Winbond BH-5.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Interesting - I've read that there are only 4 memory chip makers worldwide - so all these memory vendors are buying chips from the 4. This is one of the more confusing topics I tried to ferret out.
I mean every vendor claims the fastest and greatest and most stable, etc - but everybody can't be best. It's an interesting topic.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Yeah, this is quite interesting. Difficult to find out which memory module has what chips.

The Cheapest place I can find with a 512MB memory module with guaranteed winbond is <A HREF="http://memoryx.net/gn512pc3200.html" target="_new">MemoryX.net</A>.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I've heard decent things about Twinmos sticks - but mostly in European forums. Haven't seen too many posters chatting them up here at Tom's.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Did you notice if they can be had as "matched sets"?

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Only place I can find TwinMos with winbond is memoryx. And it appears they only have individual sticks.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
hmm...

winbound
micorn
samsung
hayundai(sp?)
hynx (sp?)
winbound
NEC (not possitive but i am pretty sure they make mem)

Those are what i can think of from the top of my head...definitly more than 4...but really not too many...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Check out Intel's list: <A HREF="http://developer.intel.com/technology/memory/ddr/valid/dimm_results.htm" target="_new">Link</A>

Didn't see NEC ...

You mentioned Winbond twice ...

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
So - given that list - any recommendation - (4x512) - 4 dimms of 512 according to <A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-d/overview.htm" target="_new">Asus qualified list</A>?

4 DIMM'S - 2 Gig possibility? (note the 3 columns ...)

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ooo...

I cannot beleive i forgot infineon...i am using infineon chips right now!

I would go for corsair or twin mos...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Corsair is validated for 2x512 (1 gig) - if I want 2 gigs, damn it - I want 2 gigs. It's a question - not a friggin debate ...