Sign in with
Your question

two soundcards, software or something else?

Last response: in Components
August 3, 2003 10:40:53 PM

Hi!

I am building a small-semiembedded multimedia home platform/server for myself. Server should be movie and music archive as well as apartments communication and lighting controller etc.

How do I divide my pc's sound system into different 'channels'? I want to, for example, listen music in one room and simultaneously watch a movie in another room. Do I need multiple soundcards and/or amplifiers and/or some kind of software to control those to solve that sound problem?

Ideas and suggestions accepted =)

More about : soundcards software

August 4, 2003 7:03:32 AM

Hm,
I have never heard of a sound card that does this. Two sound cards might work. Sounds like a configuartion nightmare though. Generally programs use the default S/C. You can't have more than one default S/C. If you could get a DVD player that allows you to choose which S/C it uses would work. I used to use my computer as a Multimedia center to some extent. I spent alot on wires and switch a switch box. But I was only going to one room. This could get hairy going to 2 or more rooms. You would be better off buying a good stereo. The good ones have the ability to send different signals to two different rooms at the same time. They also have lots of connections on the back. I have an integra stereo I like alot. Playing DVD's from you computer doesn't make sence any more as a good progressive scan DVD player is only $150. I would (and have) invest in a good stereo.
August 5, 2003 8:49:45 AM

Yep...

Stereos and a real DVD player would be easier solution for sure, but I really don't want to do that.
It is not question about money. Oh well.. maybe a little bit =). It is question about usability and convenience (if the system works as it should be).
I just want to get rid off those numerous remotes and hide all 'separate systems' like stereos, DVD players, amplifiers etc. into one box somewhere away from people's eyes.
!