Recording A Rock Band With Linux??

Last response: in Home Audio
July 18, 2005 10:52:32 AM

Ottawa conference this week!!

http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2005/view_abstract.php?co...

Recording A Rock Band With Linux
Martin Schwenke (martin@meltin.net)

Linux now looks as though it may be mature enough to be used for
professional audio applications. There have been important improvements
in the Linux 2.6 kernel, such as preempt and a new scheduler. Open
Source multi-track audio recording software, such as Ardour, and the
JACK low-latency sound server, along with numerous plug-ins, is now
competing head-to-head with commercial software. The Taken are a
small-time, Canberra (Australia) based rock band. All members are
computing geeks and most make a living by working at IBM's Linux
Technology Center. The band's bass player is a trained audio engineer
and has worked with much of the recording equipment and software used
by professional studios around the world. Between now and OLS, The
Taken will record several songs using a combination of Linux and
suitable Open Source software, as well as ProTools running under
Windows XP. We will document the processes used with each set of tools
and compare various aspects of the two setups including hardware
support, reliability, performance, sound quality, usability and tool
availability. We're probably not promising a professional sound
engineering experience, rather some data and information for other
hobbyists. During the meeting we will play excepts from recordings and
demonstrate some of the Linux tools.

Authors: Kelly Daly, Keith Matthews, Martin Schwenke
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:49:35 PM

In article <1121694752.528320.14870@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> frasser@gmail.com writes:

> Ottawa conference this week!!
>
> Recording A Rock Band With Linux

You mean it takes a CONFERENCE to record a rock band with Linux? No
wonder it's so popular.

Record a band, meet your friends, party! party! party!

July 18, 2005 10:10:39 PM

frz-man wrote:

> Recording A Rock Band With Linux

> small-time, Canberra (Australia) based rock band. All members are
> computing geeks and most make a living by working at IBM's Linux
> Technology Center.

I think this says it all ...

rd
July 23, 2005 7:51:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

Karla Snodgress <karla_snodgress@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Well now we have a clear and concise reason why Linux is such a
>disaster for audio production.
>The GEEKS ARE RUNNING THE SHOW!!

I am not sure how or why Flatfish discovered rec.audio.pro, or why he
hates rec.audio.pro so much, but I sure wish this trolling would stop.
Guys, don't reply to the troll.
--scott

July 24, 2005 12:28:28 AM

on July 23 19:22:58 +0000 (UTC) Karla flatfish Snodgress wrote:

> Well ..

00. Posting through a one time yahoo account.
01. Posting through an open proxy
02. A Linux audio fixation.
03. Who could it be I wonder?

http://pureproxy.net/
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:25:14 AM

Karla Snodgress wrote:

> I have this picture of the band in the movie "Revenge Of The Nerds"
> playing with Poindexter on the violin!!

Linux 'bands' are solitary technoartists that live in lofts with twin
Romanian sisters who are models that wear size 2 hiphuggers.

--
Texeme Textcasting Technology
http://www.texeme.com

JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2005-07-23, Karla Snodgress <karla_snodgress@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Well now we have a clear and concise reason why Linux is such a
>> disaster for audio production.
>> The GEEKS ARE RUNNING THE SHOW!!
>
> You know, in the "good old days" the musicians would
> "hack" with audio equipment even more than geeks and engineers
> would and subsequently make it do things the engineeers thought
> were impossible or just plain perverse.

Like in the days of Les Paul - he built his own guitar then built his own
disc cutter and used it to make the worlds first multi-track recordings
(cut 1 disc, play along with it while cutting another, play along with this
while cutting a 3rd disc, etc up to as many as 12 tracks on some of his
recordings) in the days before studios even used tape machines.

Then there's the Beatles who made the Sgt Pepper album with just 4 track
tape machines - their hacking went to the level of recording tape loops and
having engineers scattered across several other studios in the building
(EMI's Abbey Road studios in london) keeping these tape loops running by
maintaining tape tension with 2 pencils - plus making custom effects loops
by randomly cutting up several fx recordings and splicing the tape back
together in a random order (some backwards).

Then there's Peter Frampton's tweaked effects pedals for breath control.

The Who's early synths weren't exactly standard either.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:07:24 PM

John Bailo <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote:

>> I have this picture of the band in the movie "Revenge Of The Nerds"
>> playing with Poindexter on the violin!!
>
>Linux 'bands' are solitary technoartists that live in lofts with twin
>Romanian sisters who are models that wear size 2 hiphuggers.

That doesn't sound bad at all. Sign me up for linux today!
--scott