thrice103

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2003
Hey guys,

I just recently built a new computer, and I'm still using dial-up, so I had to jam an old 56k modem in it from another computer I have. While playing games, i.e. Counter-Strike, my ping is really low, around 200, and then it'll spike up to 450, 650, 1000, etc. With the computer I used before this, I never had lag spikes. My ping was around 400, but stayed right there. I thought it might be the old modem I put in the new computer, so I went out and bought the Creative Blaster V.92 PCI modem. I hooked it up, same problem, lag spikes. What confuses me is just a few days ago with the other computer I wasn't getting any spikes. I was wondering if anyone might know what the problem is, maybe I need to change some settings being I built the computer myself from scratch, or get a certain driver.

I also had another problem where I tried to move the modem to a different PCI slot because I thought that might fix the lag spikes. Each time I booted up my computer, windows stated that new hardware was found, the modem made a loading sound, and then the computer just restarted. This happened with every PCI slot besides the one I had it in originally, slot 5. I'm not sure why this occurred, possibly because it still thought the modem was suppost to be connected to PCI slot 5? that I'd have to uninstall the drivers and modem first before changing slots? I'm not sure. I hope somebody can help me with these problems.

Thanks

Hardware:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
1GB PC3700 DDR
Seagate Baracudda SATA 120GB Hardrive
Asus CD-RW 52x24x52
GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb
Creative Blaster v.92 PCI Modem
Antec TrueBlue 480w Power Supply
Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by thrice103 on 08/04/03 01:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Try comparing the My Computer->Control Panel->System->"Device Manager"->"Modem" settings for the modem on the old machine and the new machine (if the old one still defines the device).

Check the "Properties" of the modem
Check "Connection->Port Settings" and
------"Connection->Advanced Settings"

The loving are the daring!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
check the phone wire you used. testing over a couple days is not a very good test though. lag spikes are rarely the computers fault.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015