ZaxCom .. computer alternative??

Yes the Zaxcom DV series is great! But the price just seems too much
for most work. The rental is about $300 day ... however a great laptop
should be able to record near equal quality with the proper digitizer

What is recommended? I would prefer a firewire external digitizer box
or mixer that can give at least 48mhz sampling .. maybe 96mhz. I would
say about a $2k unit would be about right ....

Any experences to share??

Thanks!!
Frz
2 answers Last reply
More about zaxcom computer alternative

    On Jul 18, 2005, frz-man <frasser@gmail.com> commented:

    > Yes the Zaxcom DV series is great! But the price just seems too much
    > for most work. The rental is about $300 day ... however a great laptop
    > should be able to record near equal quality with the proper digitizer...
    >------------------------------snip>------------------------------<

    The Zaxcom Deva's are arguably the best location sound recorders currently
    available, particularly for an all-in-one package that has very good-sounding
    mike preamps, can be run from batteries, and is small and self-contained to
    the point where you can sling it over your shoulder and record something
    while walking down the street.

    That having been said: two lower-priced alternatives I would consider are
    first, Gallery UK's METACORDER, which is special Mac software (plus a
    firewire-based mike preamp you supply) that can record multitrack location
    sound to a hard drive with timecode. You can get info on it here:

    http://www.gallery.co.uk/

    The problem with using recording software that's based on a laptop is that
    you can't exactly slap it over your shoulder and run with it. You have to
    use it on a cart or other sturdy table, which won't work for all situations.
    Under those conditions, though, a Mac laptop with Metacorder would would
    fine.

    Another good Deva alternative is the Sound Devices 7xx series, which is here:
    http://www.sounddevices.com/

    It's very small and lightweight, and is as close to an ideal DAT replacement
    that I've seen out there, except that it's somewhat pricey (up to $4000,
    depending on accessories).

    --MFW

    "frz-man" <frasser@gmail.com> wrote in news:1121702269.875700.321410
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > What is recommended? I would prefer a firewire external digitizer box
    > or mixer that can give at least 48mhz sampling .. maybe 96mhz

    It still won't sound as good as vinyl... ;)

Pro Audio Computers Audio Product