Do you want to change your windows color scheme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
When i go into a game windows asks me "Do you want to change your color scheme to improve performance?" and every time i click NEVER ASK ME AGAIN to no avail. I have to alt tab out of game that hangs up to hit NEVER ASK ME AGAIN and it is driving me crazy. Anyone else experience this in Windows 7?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
It's asking you if you want to turn Aero off so you can free up some GPU processing. And if Windows is asking you that it's probably best you do so.

Easily done - right-click on your shortcut for the game and go to Properties. Int he compatibility mode tab you should have an option to "disable Aero" or something. Check that and OK the dialog.

Now every time the game runs it'll automatically turn off Aero, then turn it back on again when you're finished.

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
There is no option to disable aero in the compatibility. I cant find that. I have a Radion 5870 graphics card with a i7920 and i run BC2 max settings at 75 frames a second. Why does it think is needs to free up more GPU processing?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
With specs like that you shouldn't. I've only ever seen that Windows message pop up with very low-end graphics cards so I assumed that was the case with you.

Apparently it's not, so short of making sure your Radeon drivers are fully up-to-date and BC2 is also patched up-to-date I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Turns out that you have to set compatibility options on the EXE file itself, not a shortcut to it. It's "disable visual themes" you're after, and possibly "disable desktop composition" too.

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Well i will check that out, thanks for the help. When i looked before i went to the props on the exe itself. I will check that out when i get home from work. It did this when i had my GTX260 as well. I just switched to the 5870 so i removed anything nvidia manually and that still did not work. I am running the 10.2 drivers from ATI right now.

widden

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I've a similar problem, brand new install on a win7 with a 5870 card
I've 2 monitors though.

every friggen time I start a full-screen game this popup comes up, regardless that every time I tell it to go to hell and never bother me again.

Driving me nuts and I'd very much like to be able to disable it for good...any ideas?

Oh, running the 10.3 catalyst drivers

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I am running two monitor as well...now when i start bad company 2 my monitor goes black and says its wrong frequency and so i hit ctl alt del to bring up a different screen then escape out of it and it will then bring the game up at the right frequency to be displayed on the monitor. It is really wierd.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I almost threw my new i7 system off my desk and punches a whole in my lcd. Is there seriously not a fix? I have looked forum to forum and have tried looking for a fix myself, the only thing I heard might work is disabling UAC why would microsoft do something this stupid and make it seem so simple yet you can not remove it. I am frustrated as $!#%

legeantvert

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
You guys found a fix for that? I'm having the issue now, I'm running 2 monitors. I have 8gb of ram and radeaon HD 6950 2 GB, I can run Skyrim at ultra high without the message poping up but for some reason when I play Max Payne 3 the messages keeps popping

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

I wish there was a way to disable this message specifically, but short of running in a basic/classic theme, it's not possible. You'd think MS would have patched this by now...
http://superuser.com/a/314583

Status
Not open for further replies.