How to clone a hard disk to a new hard disk?

madcat1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003
I recently bought a new and much better hard drive and was wondering how to clone the one that is currently in my computer. It took me along time to set it up the way I want it and I would like to copy it to the new hard drive and use the new one as my primary. what utilities should I use and what steps should I follow in order to do this correctly? Also my old hard drive came with a windows xp recovery partition on it and I would like not to transfer it just the partition with the os and my current apps and info installed?

thanks for any help.

Chris Lowe
<A HREF="http://www.build-your-own-computers.com" target="_new">http://www.build-your-own-computers.com</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's amazing how many times I have repeated this, and nobody has listened. There's a FREE program you can download which does the job PERFECTLY. It's called MaxBlast Plus, at the Maxtor website. Simply run the extraction to floppy and use it. When it comes up to the main screen, choose the obvious options "yes I agree to the end user agreement, yes I've installed my new Maxtor drive", then pick "advanced". It will take you to a simplified GUI where you can choose the "Copy Entire Partition" command. And it will correct the partition size for you and everything else you need.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
... and it is amazing how many times pplz don't listen to the "Honorary Guru of THGC", ggg.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Normally I'd say use ghost if you have it, or MaxBlast Plus if you don't, but everyone else recommends Ghost already, so I'll just go with the FREE solution.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cold

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
ok what is this, this is the exact same post I made about a month ago. Its amazing how it was recycled.