Tags:
  • Security
  • Virus
  • Computers
  • Software
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 18, 2012 4:16:57 PM

How do I isolate or get rid of a virus that shuts the computer down before the virus protection software can get rid of it?

More about : virus shuts computer protection software rid

a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 4:25:47 PM

are you seeing pop ups or is your antivirus reporting a virus. let me know what the name of the prorgram that is poping up is called (ie antivirus 2012) or what name your antivirus is giving it and i will be able to give you step by step directions.

because ther are many types of virus there is no simple one tool answer.
(ie polymorphic, multipartite, phage....ect)
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2012 4:28:21 PM

Now I have little experience on viruses as I haven't had many. You could try and delete where the virus resides on the hard drive but it probably hides itself. You could try using system restore to restore it back to the time before you got the virus. It'll still be there but will be 'neutralised' and not work (worked with a virus I got that couldn't be deleted by the antivirus). If that fails try and back up what you can and wipe the drive. That's a bit heavy handed but it'll get rid of it
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 4:39:25 PM

Simply start the computer in safe mode, disable system restore and run the scan or remove the virus that way. Running in safe mode allows windows to run with the minimal system drivers needed which means the virus won't be able to start. Once you have cleaned your system you can restart in safe mode again to scan your files and once you are sure the virus is gone start the system normally and enable system restore again if you use it. If you run in to problems removing the virus itself post information on that virus in the chat so we can assist.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 6:27:30 PM

Hi :) 

If it wont even boot into safe mode (quite likely) then buy a Norton 2012 disc and boot from it.... it will update itself and then run a full scan...it will cure your problem....I fix viruses every day in my shops...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l

Best solution

July 18, 2012 7:20:01 PM

Restored to a previous date but problem persists. Tried it in Safe mode and it isolated and removed the "threat" but when I rebooted it was back again. No idea where to go from here.
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 7:27:26 PM

keri22421 said:
Restored to a previous date but problem persists. Tried it in Safe mode and it isolated and removed the "threat" but when I rebooted it was back again. No idea where to go from here.

I just told you.....

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 7:28:43 PM

keri22421 said:

if it isolated and removed the threat its either

A) It missed the virus
B) There's another file that allows the virus to be recreated
C) The shutdown is not caused by a virus
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 210 $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 7:33:30 PM

keri22421 said:

Can you tell use what this "threat" that got remove? It should have a name or something. And which virus protection software you are using?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 7:37:13 PM

1 Start in safe mode
2 Scan the system and remove threat
3 delete any files associated with the virus
4 delete any registry keys associated with the virus

You're going to have to look up online to find out what the files are called and where they are stored. As mentioned before you will need to do all of this in safe mode because doing it in Windows normal mode isn't going to work. I also mentioned before you need to disable system restore before you do any of this and if you for some reason decide to use system restore after you have done all this you will only end up placing the virus back on the system which completely defeats the purpose of removing the virus in the first place.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 7:53:21 PM

disabling system restore may not even help. neither will deleting all but last restore point if it's replicating from there. possible to delete all restore points ?

go into msconfig and stop all programs that need not run on start up/get program to scan boot sector too. ........ you can try online norton scan if they still have those. who knows ?

m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:09:05 PM

And if its Boot sector virus , none of those suggestions will work....

You could always listen to someone who fixes viruses every day like me...lol ...or not....

m
l
July 18, 2012 8:22:21 PM

I suggest putting the harddrive into another computer which has installed an updated Avira antivirus, then run an enhanced scan on that HDD. It appears to me that it's the best software to use on such cases.

If it's a laptop harddrive and you can't remove it, the only way is to run from a rescue CD as suggested, and scan/clean the harddrive.

In any case, don't even attempt safe mode or other in-the-system methods, because they don't work. They never work (unless the virus coder was a retard...)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:34:10 PM

(unless the virus coder was a retard...)[/quotemsg said:

reverse stuxnet........ LOL
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:34:32 PM

if its an xp pc

combofix fixed the same issue for stepdad a little while ago

run it in safemode

if it doesnt run in safemode then it might be in your program startup

go to run then

type msconfig

untick anything that looks fishy, had a couple viruses that have added themselfs to this list so they autoboot up on startup

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:48:35 PM

Listen to Brett! Or at least to his method, even if you prefer a different product (e.g. McAfee or Kaspersky). Viruses typically replace Windows system files, which is why starting in Safe Mode may not make Jack Squat of difference. Part of your process may include using SFC /SCANNOW, after booting with the antivirus CD, but that is also no guarantee.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:53:54 PM

Brett928S2 said:

If it wont even boot into safe mode (quite likely) then buy a Norton 2012 disc and boot from it.... it will update itself and then run a full scan...it will cure your problem....I fix viruses every day in my shops...

Why are you telling him to buy something without further investigation? yes its a virus but there are also free good programs that can get rid of the problem.

Avira rescue cd, kaspersky rescue cd, malwarebytes, running antivirus with a linux cd, there are loads more.

Not trying to bash you but you seem to jump the gun on 99% of your posts.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 8:57:34 PM

mouse24 said:
Why are you telling him to buy something without further investigation? yes its a virus but there are also free good programs that can get rid of the problem.

Avira rescue cd, kaspersky rescue cd, malwarebytes, running antivirus with a linux cd, there are loads more.

Not trying to bash you but you seem to jump the gun on 99% of your posts.

Jumping the gun ...maybe...OR knowing PRECISELY what I am doing.....you choose....

I wont argue, I fix the damn viruses...EVERY day.... and NORTON IS THE BEST ...and YES I have tried them all....

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 9:04:05 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Jumping the gun ...maybe...OR knowing PRECISELY what I am doing.....you choose....

I wont argue, I fix the damn viruses...EVERY day.... and NORTON IS THE BEST ...and YES I have tried them all....

Uhm, alright... But don't you think it would be more prudent to put 2 free bandages on a cut before resorting to buying a 50 dollar gauze pack?
m
l
July 18, 2012 9:13:14 PM

He probably works for Symantec.
If I read the rules correctly, advertising is not allowed here in these forums...

Quote: "Avira rescue cd, kaspersky rescue cd, malwarebytes, running antivirus with a linux cd, there are loads more." - That's the way to do it... not BUY stuff.

Good luck keri !
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 9:24:24 PM

Kaspersky Rescue CD = win.

And it's free. I saved my bacon last Christmas eve when I got hit with an AV trojan.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 9:31:35 PM

wavetrex said:
If I read the rules correctly, advertising is not allowed here in these forums...

Quote: "Avira rescue cd, kaspersky rescue cd, malwarebytes, running antivirus with a linux cd, there are loads more." - That's the way to do it... not BUY stuff.

Good luck keri !

No, I dont work for Symantec or anyone else, most people here on Toms know that I own some Computers companies in the UK....

Yes I sell Symantec products in my computer shops, but we also sell thousands of other things...

And I make it a point to NOT advertise ANY of my companies here.... as any Moderator will confirm if you ask them.....

And I do not like anyone , including you, impugning my integrity....

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 9:39:52 PM

wavetrex wrote :

I believe the forum rules also state to attack the *idea* not the person ;) . Kinda the pot calling the kettle black here aren't we?

Brett your advice is spot on, so is the advice of using free software.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 9:40:12 PM

Brett928S2 said:

No, I dont work for Symantec or anyone else, most people here on Toms know that I own some Computers companies in the UK....

Yes I sell Symantec products in my computer shops, but we also sell thousands of other things...

And I make it a point to NOT advertise ANY of my companies here.... as any Moderator will confirm if you ask them.....

And I do not like anyone , including you, impugning my integrity....

You sure do pull that "I manage pc shops so I know everything and my word is absolute" card a lot.

I could care less what you do for a job, it doesn't mean your choice of product is any better than my choice of product. You basically were advertising when you said "Norton IS THE BEST" when in fact its most likely a false statement with no factual evidence to back it up. It is simply an opinion, and one that would have cost this user 50 dollars over some cheaper alternative that would have worked just as well (free really).

I don't see why you are so opposed to giving people a free alternative.

Edit: in an attempt to make this a bit less rude, I try and think of myself in the customers shoes, I sure as heck wouldn't come back to this website if some guy told me to spend 50 bucks on a piece of software and it didn't help but then I go an try some free software a friend tells me to try and it works like a charm.
m
l
July 18, 2012 9:45:30 PM

Best solution: Boot in safe mode. Run various anti malware. Run malwarebytes, tdss killer, and possibly norton power eraser. MB scans for viruses, tdss killer will scan for rootkits, and norton power eraser will scan for both. This is a proven way of deleting almost any virus. I work as an administrator at an IT helpdesk and run into viruses every day.

Edit: you should never have to buy software in order to delete a virus and get your computer working properly. There is plenty of free software that works just as well, if not better.
m
l
July 18, 2012 9:49:53 PM

Uhhh... How do you know it's a virus sir?
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 9:53:29 PM

mouse24 said:
You sure do pull that "I manage pc shops so I know everything and my word is absolute" card a lot.

I could care less what you do for a job, it doesn't mean your choice of product is any better than my choice of product. You basically were advertising when you said "Norton IS THE BEST" when in fact its most likely a false statement with no factual evidence to back it up. It is simply an opinion, and one that would have cost this user 50 dollars over some cheaper alternative that would have worked just as well (free really).

I don't see why you are so opposed to giving people a free alternative.

Edit: in an attempt to make this a bit less rude, I try and think of myself in the customers shoes, I sure as heck wouldn't come back to this website if some guy told me to spend 50 bucks on a piece of software and it didn't help but then I go an try some free software a friend tells me to try and it works like a charm.

LAST POST in this thread as its not in the OPs interest for it to degenrate into an arguement....

I dont MANAGE anything by the way...I "own" the various Computer companies, it took me many years to build up my chain of shops etc, and as a matter of interest, I am also ancient :) 

The reason I and others have said to use Norton rather than the free options is that IN THIS CASE it will work better.....

IF the computer concerned could run reasonably in safe mode , I would have recommended MALWAREBYTES first , which is free....

When you fix viruses, certain programs are better at certain viruses or Trojans or spyware than others...

So thats me out of this thread....

Gone....

m
l
July 18, 2012 10:07:55 PM

I mean he didn't tell anyone how he knows it's a virus.. The OP could be a 90 year old grandfather that doesn't know anything about computers..

If my computer would be unable to boot into windows even in safe mode, I would check temperatures in the bios first and foremost, as unlike viruses, overheating can permanently damage my hardware.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 10:07:58 PM

if this were my thread and I was the one having problems I'd be pretty upset about all the bickering going on.
m
l
July 18, 2012 10:09:58 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I just feel an overwhelming need to correct this.

"MB scans for viruses"

Malwarebytes scans for and removes malware. It is not, nor ever has been, an antivirus program.

Other then that, I agree.

OP:

Try the free ways first. 99.9% of the time, they work. If they don't, just wipe and re-install. If it is bad enough to where you feel a need to pay something, then take it to a professional.

You know, you might wanna watch your tone and attitude, youngster.... Trashing advice from a wise industry member such as Brett isn't something you want to do on these forums... Shoot if it were me and i had a fast internet connection i'd just re-install windows completely and re-install all my programs if it was a option. If its not then do the steps listed from brett
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 10:13:53 PM

Brett928S2 said:

LAST POST in this thread as its not in the OPs interest for it to degenrate into an arguement....

I dont MANAGE anything by the way...I "own" the various Computer companies, it took me many years to build up my chain of shops etc, and as a matter of interest, I am also ancient :) 

The reason I and others have said to use Norton rather than the free options is that IN THIS CASE it will work better.....

IF the computer concerned could run reasonably in safe mode , I would have recommended MALWAREBYTES first , which is free....

When you fix viruses, certain programs are better at certain viruses or Trojans or spyware than others...

So thats me out of this thread....

Gone....

I am sorry, what? Really, all you are doing is spouting fanboyism. Putting malwarebytes aside what problems do you have with running say kaspersky's rescue cd? It scans for detections right from the CD in a linux distro. I don't see how norton is any better "IN THIS CASE" than any other "rescue cd" as thats basically what nortons cd is. You don't even know what virus it is so that whole entire argument of "my one program beats out your multiple free ones with multiple different detection methods and virus dictionaries" is very very moot.

As I said before, age and job have nothing to do with anything. there are people on this forum much younger than me that surpass my knowledge 10 fold.

All I want is PROOF that norton is better than the free ones and is worth the extra cost to the customer.

To the OP, sorry I got off a tangent. To Brett, if you wish to continue this conversation please PM me.
m
l
July 18, 2012 10:15:48 PM

Guys Guys, would you shut the front door with the arguments about which virus software is better. Your not helping the Original point of the thread. Just pick a damn software and tell him how to fix his problem so we don't have to waste his time.
m
l
July 18, 2012 10:16:42 PM

swifty_morgan said:
if this were my thread and I was the one having problems I'd be pretty upset about all the bickering going on.

My Point exactly
m
l
July 18, 2012 10:19:27 PM

Quote:
Sorry but, did you intend to quote me, or was that an accident? :??: 

I was just kinda giving you some friendly advice. I hate to see someone come in on a thread and use someone elses comments for a personal gain towards best answer.. Also brett has been on this thread for longer than you or ME so cut the guy some slack. He knows what hes doing. Hes always been a good support guy
m
l
July 18, 2012 10:19:38 PM

TRY CHECKDISK FOR YOUR HARDDISK.
IT'S WORK FOR YOU.
COZ YOUR SYSTEM NOT INFECTED BY THE VIRUS, IT'S A HARDDISK BAD SECTORS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 10:22:15 PM

Brett has passed along that in his experience, the Norton Rescue CD works well. His experience is lengthy enough that it is probably in your interests to at least pay attention.
Yes, a free solution might work, if it is some other bootable CD, but as those of us who have frequently had to deal with others' viruses (virii?) know, booting in "Safe" mode probably just guarantees that the virus will be able to hide itself and persist.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 10:26:22 PM

Onus said:
Brett has passed along that in his experience, the Norton Rescue CD works well. His experience is lengthy enough that it is probably in your interests to at least pay attention.
Yes, a free solution might work, if it is some other bootable CD, but as those of us who have frequently had to deal with others' viruses (virii?) know, booting in "Safe" mode probably just guarantees that the virus will be able to hide itself and persist.

I agree he has had more experience than I, it just irked me that he went straight into trying to "sell" someone something instead of going the cheaper route, y'know?

I think I'm just to conscious about people pocket books.

Brett I wasn't trying to offend you though I did get caught up in the heat of the moment, so if I did I'm sorry. Just trying to get a point across.
m
l
July 18, 2012 10:39:56 PM

WOW
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 10:42:57 PM

since this post is all about Brett and not the problem perhaps the admin can close this thread.
m
l
July 19, 2012 12:14:46 AM

Quote:
Agreed, though I would have liked an apology from Rockdpm since he/she keeps confusing me with mouse24, this thread is definitely done.

You know I only apologize where a apology is needed. So I say I am sorry for mixing you up with mouse24
m
l
July 19, 2012 12:24:18 AM

This thread will be closed. the original poster can repost it. if you are trying to help Please feel free to make a comment. But if your just gonna go in and argue again, DO NOT even comment. I don't want to deal with trying to help someone when two people completely hijack a thread because one prefers to clean a virus off one way over the other because its free. However I also didn't have anything against Brett mentioning his method even though some here claimed it was "Advertising". So this thread is to be deleted and the original poster can repost it and if you have a support comment feel free. If you don't, do not go in saying go buy this program or get this FREE program. Just simply say "Search for " Program name" and whatever is necessary do with it and then go with the next step... We are not PAID technicians or Tech Support people on Toms Hardware and are not paid in anyway. So therefore what ever method we see fit to fix the problem the easiest for the client (What i call them to be professional). If you want to grief with my message, go right ahead. But be warned I don't come here to argue so someone else can look bigger. We don't go by "Brownie Points" we go by experience points and even still doesn't determine the real experience we have here.. I have spoken
m
l
July 19, 2012 12:39:49 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I just feel an overwhelming need to correct this.

"MB scans for viruses"

Malwarebytes scans for and removes malware. It is not, nor ever has been, an antivirus program.

Other then that, I agree.

OP:

Try the free ways first. 99.9% of the time, they work. If they don't, just wipe and re-install. If it is bad enough to where you feel a need to pay something, then take it to a professional.

First of all a virus is a type of malware. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
If you feel the need to call me out on using wikipedia as a reference, then feel free to look it up on some other reputable site.

If you are going to have the balls to try and call somebody out in such a condescending manner, make sure you are right. If you are not entirely correct, you look like an ass, and if you are right, you still look like an ass. Be more polite or you will build up a bad rep on Tom's.

Second of all, malwarebytes is certainly an anti virus program. It says it right on their product page. http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/

If you feel otherwise, please respond in a polite fashion with reputable sources.
m
l
July 19, 2012 12:46:29 AM

roadkill922 said:
First of all a virus is a type of malware. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
If you feel the need to call me out on using wikipedia as a reference, then feel free to look it up on some other reputable site.

If you are going to have the balls to try and call somebody out in such a condescending manner, make sure you are right. If you are not entirely correct, you look like an ass, and if you are right, you still look like an ass. Be more polite or you will build up a bad rep on Tom's.

Second of all, malwarebytes is certainly an anti virus program. It says it right on their product page. http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/

If you feel otherwise, please respond in a polite fashion with reputable sources.

Thanks for quoting him
m
l
July 19, 2012 1:13:54 AM

doron said:
Uhhh... How do you know it's a virus sir?

You know this is a very good question. I doubt that it is hardware issue as the computer is able to make it to safe mode. Usually you would not be able to do this if it were a problem with the board, memory, or HDD. Keri could still run the diagnostics from the BIOS but I doubt that it would find anything. Given the symptoms, I would say it is most likely a common virus, or possibly a rootkit. It could also be a worm, however, this is very unlikely as worms are not that common these days unless you have no type of firewall up or AV up.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 1:31:38 AM

As long as it's not a Tyrolean were-walrus. Those tusks are nasty.
m
l
July 19, 2012 1:34:20 AM

wait, is that even a real virus name?
m
l
July 19, 2012 1:52:33 AM

^Welcome to the internet
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 2:18:27 AM

op if you have a laptop get emsisoft emergence kit. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/ you run it off a memstick so no need to boot windows and risk spreading the infection...
first turn off the pc properly at the wall for at least 30 seconds after the last led on the motherboard or pc goes out. this way you know there is no residual current feeding the ram so any virus hiding there will not reappear when the pc restarts... yes a virus can survive a soft reboot and continue where it left off.
boot into the boot menu by pressing f8 and select the mem stick as the boot device.
emsisoft should then load up and allow you to clean your pc quickly and free of charge.
1s done download avira antivir and malware bytes. both again are free and install them both and to be safe run a scan. depending on how big your system is it will take an hour or 3. 1s done you should run sfc /scannow to repair any damaged windows components.
then check your system/device manager for any corrupted drivers. 1s done you should be ready to start using windows again...

bitdefender is currently the best payed AV and avira is the best free you can use... this isnt just my opinion many independent anti virus testers also agree. google is your friend...
m
l
July 19, 2012 2:24:49 AM

I personally use Trend Micro. I and my family started out with Norton then when i got my own desktop i tried web root for a month or two and my computer had trend micro on it as a free ware. So i liked trend micros interface better and the scan options and i felt my computer was more secure after switching over. now every computer in the house is trend micro. Avast is what i heard is the best "free" but trend micro also has some free anti virus programs
m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!