Status
Not open for further replies.

daween

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I am looking to upgrade from my Sager NP3790 and the Asus G1 seems like an amazing gaming laptop. I was looking at a Dell E1505 loaded up with similar specs as the G1. The Dell with coupon was ~1400 and the G1 is being listed at ~1800.

The review I read was here:

Asus G1 Review

I was wondering that even though the G1 hasn't been released, is it worth the extra money for the additional quality and potential longevity of the G1. The G1 definitely wins in the coolness factor.

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
The value factor of the G1 seems awesome, and cheaper than buying a similar Asus Laptop and upgrading to spec, plus you get a cool back pack and mouse. Is it better than the 1505?.. well you can't get a go7700 for starters.. the x1400 is not nearly as good. Looks wise.. the dell is..IMO ugly. The G1 looks more like a stealth jet fighter. 400 is a big gap if that's the real difference, but the Asus G1 will definitely get you chicks =P.. and it comes with a 2 year warranty, upgradable to 3yr global for 129 from what i hear.. but don't take my word for it. The only trick is getting your hands on one.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I wouldn't say amazing. ASUS builds a quality notebook. The issue I've had with them is that for whatever reason, they never put a real good video card or harddrive in their machines. It's the little things they do that make the machines "adequate" for the task, but never "great". That comes with a GeForce Go 7700. While adequate for most gaming needs, it's not exactly going to blow you away. Also, typically ASUS uses a soldered gpu solution, so you can't upgrade (the photo's in that review look like it's not upgradable too). 15" monitors also suck for gaming, but are great for portable.. Weird one is their G2 model with the 17" monitor uses a worse ATI x1700 graphics card... Also note they use a 5400rpm hard drive instead of a faster 7500rpm but you could upgrade that).

But the price of $1800 is a good deal, and Asus does a great job with the bundle (asus 3 yr warranty, nice mouse, carry bag, etc). What you'll end up with is a capable rig, but not a truely great gaming rig. To put it in perspective, my 4 month old notebooks scores 5600+/- on 3dMark06, while that soon to be released Asus G2 only did 2600 after overclocking...not even half as fast. But mine set me back an additional grand... Speed cost, so how fast do you want to go?

daween

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I wouldn't say amazing. ASUS builds a quality notebook. The issue I've had with them is that for whatever reason, they never put a real good video card or harddrive in their machines. It's the little things they do that make the machines "adequate" for the task, but never "great". That comes with a GeForce Go 7700. While adequate for most gaming needs, it's not exactly going to blow you away. Also, typically ASUS uses a soldered gpu solution, so you can't upgrade (the photo's in that review look like it's not upgradable too). 15" monitors also suck for gaming, but are great for portable.. Weird one is their G2 model with the 17" monitor uses a worse ATI x1700 graphics card... Also note they use a 5400rpm hard drive instead of a faster 7500rpm but you could upgrade that).

But the price of $1800 is a good deal, and Asus does a great job with the bundle (asus 3 yr warranty, nice mouse, carry bag, etc). What you'll end up with is a capable rig, but not a truely great gaming rig. To put it in perspective, my 4 month old notebooks scores 5600+/- on 3dMark06, while that soon to be released Asus G2 only did 2600 after overclocking...not even half as fast. But mine set me back an additional grand... Speed cost, so how fast do you want to go?

I mainly play WoW and my Sager NP3790 handles that just fine. I was just looking to maybe play some of the more recent games like Fear and Oblivion at half decent frame rates. I was also looking to get a better screen - the NP3790s isn't as bright as I would like.

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
You can do half decent with the G1 then..but not blazing. That would mean sacrificing battery life. The 7700 is capable and still allows you to use your laptop as a laptop..not a DTR. By estimations..it will achieve ~2.5 hours which is not bad.

asusman

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
The 7700 looks a bit faster. But its a smaller notebook.

These were designed to be used on the battery.

Not like other gaming "laptops" that need to be plugged in all the time.

Past this you mine a well get a desktop since you have to plug in.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Past this you mine a well get a desktop since you have to plug in.
Sure, I could get a couple desktops to replace my single laptop. My notebook with a 7950GTX goes to my home for gaming, the office for work, and the client's office for presentations. There's a difference between a desktop replacement notebook and a portable laptop.. The G1 is closer to a portable/value laptop than a desktop replacement gaming rig. Mines closer to a desktop gaming rig than a portable device... To each their own, but led lights and neon colors don't make a gaming rig. Two different types of builds... but mines a lot more flexible than a desktop as far as portable even if I do have to plug it in for anytime I think I might play longer than a couple hours, and I wonder how long the battery will last on that G1 playing? Is that extra hour worth the speed hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS