Live Guitar Pickup Suggestions

Last response: in Home Audio
July 19, 2005 5:01:52 AM

I know that this has been discussed before but I would like to narrow the
focus a bit. When I record an acoustic group (gospel / bluegrass) in
concert, sometimes the acoustic guitar player will walk away from the mic
stand when he is not singing and I loose the guitar. I know that I could
nail his feet to the floor but I would prefer to install a temporary pickup
into his Martin. I would appreciate hearing your opinions of the best
sounding quick mount pickups if one even exists. Sound is very important to
me. Presently I use a KM184 which I like very much when he is standing in
place. I plan to do more of this in the future and can see that this will
be a reoccurring theme. To a lesser degree, similar suggestions for a
mandolin would also be helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts,

John Phillips
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:01:53 AM

John Phillips <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I know that this has been discussed before but I would like to narrow the
>focus a bit. When I record an acoustic group (gospel / bluegrass) in
>concert, sometimes the acoustic guitar player will walk away from the mic
>stand when he is not singing and I loose the guitar. I know that I could
>nail his feet to the floor but I would prefer to install a temporary pickup
>into his Martin. I would appreciate hearing your opinions of the best
>sounding quick mount pickups if one even exists. Sound is very important to
>me. Presently I use a KM184 which I like very much when he is standing in
>place. I plan to do more of this in the future and can see that this will
>be a reoccurring theme. To a lesser degree, similar suggestions for a
>mandolin would also be helpful.

Try a Countryman (or whatever your favorite lav mike is) on the guitar
rather than a pickup. You probably already have it in the kit, you don't
have to deal with instrument levels, it will work on any instrument
made, and it'll be easier to set up.

Gain before feedback won't be as good, but you don't care about that.
You just want the performer to be able to move around.
--scott

July 19, 2005 5:01:53 AM

check out the stuff from Fishman.
July 19, 2005 12:40:34 PM

The Countryman is an around the ear setup so how would you install it on a
guitar? It appears that it would somehow mount between the strap and the
body.

John

news:D bhm54$6h1$1@panix2.panix.com...
> John Phillips <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>I know that this has been discussed before but I would like to narrow the
>>focus a bit. When I record an acoustic group (gospel / bluegrass) in
>>concert, sometimes the acoustic guitar player will walk away from the mic
>>stand when he is not singing and I loose the guitar. I know that I could
>>nail his feet to the floor but I would prefer to install a temporary
>>pickup
>>into his Martin. I would appreciate hearing your opinions of the best
>>sounding quick mount pickups if one even exists. Sound is very important
>>me. Presently I use a KM184 which I like very much when he is standing in
>>place. I plan to do more of this in the future and can see that this will
>>be a reoccurring theme. To a lesser degree, similar suggestions for a
>>mandolin would also be helpful.
>
> Try a Countryman (or whatever your favorite lav mike is) on the guitar
> rather than a pickup. You probably already have it in the kit, you don't
> have to deal with instrument levels, it will work on any instrument
> made, and it'll be easier to set up.
>
> Gain before feedback won't be as good, but you don't care about that.
> You just want the performer to be able to move around.
> --scott

July 19, 2005 12:41:22 PM

John Phillips <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
>The Countryman is an around the ear setup so how would you install it on a
>guitar? It appears that it would somehow mount between the strap and the
>body.

Countryman does make a headset mike, but they also make lav mikes.
Any lavalier type you like will be fine.
--scott

July 19, 2005 1:32:19 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> John Phillips <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I know that this has been discussed before but I would like to narrow the
> >focus a bit. When I record an acoustic group (gospel / bluegrass) in
> >concert, sometimes the acoustic guitar player will walk away from the mic
> >stand when he is not singing and I loose the guitar. I know that I could
> >nail his feet to the floor but I would prefer to install a temporary pickup
> >into his Martin. I would appreciate hearing your opinions of the best
> >sounding quick mount pickups if one even exists. Sound is very important to
> >me. Presently I use a KM184 which I like very much when he is standing in
> >place. I plan to do more of this in the future and can see that this will
> >be a reoccurring theme. To a lesser degree, similar suggestions for a
> >mandolin would also be helpful.
>
> Try a Countryman (or whatever your favorite lav mike is) on the guitar
> rather than a pickup. You probably already have it in the kit, you don't
> have to deal with instrument levels, it will work on any instrument
> made, and it'll be easier to set up.
>
> Gain before feedback won't be as good, but you don't care about that.
> You just want the performer to be able to move around.
> --scott

I'm with Scott on this. In live TV, I've had to mic acoustics in a
hurry, and the lavalier is quick and sounds good. I've had such success
at using them in my TV job that I have started using them for live
gigs.

A hint or two: Clip it at the TOP if the sound hole, so that does not
become an obstacle for the player. And the proximity effect is quite
pronounced, so be prepared to roll off a lot of the bottom. You might
want to tape the thin cable to the back of the guitar to keep it taut,
and have the player either clip the preamp to his belt or slide it in a
pocket.

Hey Scott: Do you think Recording mag would be interested in an article
about doing audio for music on TV? I bet me, Lorin and a few others
could relate some good war stories!
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:20:37 PM

In article <4iYCe.11572$oj4.284863@twister.southeast.rr.com> jsp5646@hotmail.com writes:

> I know that this has been discussed before but I would like to narrow the
> focus a bit. When I record an acoustic group (gospel / bluegrass) in
> concert, sometimes the acoustic guitar player will walk away from the mic
> stand when he is not singing and I loose the guitar.

That's the way it's supposed to sound. Enjoy it. If you find the
contracst too radical, you're putting too much guitar into the mix.
Listen to both classic and modern bluegrass recordings and you'll find
this is almost always the case.

July 19, 2005 5:31:53 PM

On 7/19/05 8:41 AM, in article dbisdi$pia$1@panix2.panix.com, "Scott Dorsey"
<kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> John Phillips <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> The Countryman is an around the ear setup so how would you install it on a
>> guitar? It appears that it would somehow mount between the strap and the
>> body.
>
> Countryman does make a headset mike, but they also make lav mikes.
> Any lavalier type you like will be fine.
> --scott

It's an old method born of a specific moment's desperation, but it landed a
solid tool.
I still carry a couple 12" pieces of single-conductor 10 or 12 ga solid
vinyl/rubber insulated house wiring stock. This can be bent into a suitable
grip-to-the-edge-of-the-soundhole-and-curve-inside bendy thingie holding
(with appropriate application of gaffers tape) an omni lav floating INSIDE
the soundhole just under the strings (position to taste). The stiffness
holds the bend and grips well while the rubber/vinyl jacket doesn;t harm
finishes. The position is VERY instrument-avec-mic combo-sensitive. The old
dynamic SHURE Sm11 STILL is eyebrow-raising on a classical, yet oddly not so
happy in most steel-strings. A Countryman or Crown GLM will do well pretty
much anywhere (though the SM11 in a classical beats them... Go fig).
In a pinch, it gets you something way better than garbage and only takes a
couple minutes to rig.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:18:04 PM

Try www.schertler.com for pick ups and contact mics.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:00:42 PM

In article <1121790739.191563.49970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> blackburst@aol.com writes:

> Hey Scott: Do you think Recording mag would be interested in an article
> about doing audio for music on TV? I bet me, Lorin and a few others
> could relate some good war stories!

It can't hurt to ask. They've been pretty heavy on software for the
past couple of years, but every once in a while they manage to give a
dose of reality.

July 20, 2005 2:24:32 AM

Just to clarify, when he walked away it was 3 to 6 feet from the mic. There
was no guitar at the greater distances.

> In article <4iYCe.11572$oj4.284863@twister.southeast.rr.com>
> jsp5646@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> I know that this has been discussed before but I would like to narrow the
>> focus a bit. When I record an acoustic group (gospel / bluegrass) in
>> concert, sometimes the acoustic guitar player will walk away from the mic
>> stand when he is not singing and I loose the guitar.
>
> That's the way it's supposed to sound. Enjoy it. If you find the
> contracst too radical, you're putting too much guitar into the mix.
> Listen to both classic and modern bluegrass recordings and you'll find
> this is almost always the case.

July 20, 2005 2:30:31 AM

Please provide a few suggestions as I am not clear on the lav mic thing.
Can you provide an internet link for additional help?

John

<blackburst@aol.com> wrote in message

> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> John Phillips <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >I know that this has been discussed before but I would like to narrow
>> >the
>> >focus a bit. When I record an acoustic group (gospel / bluegrass) in
>> >concert, sometimes the acoustic guitar player will walk away from the
>> >mic
>> >stand when he is not singing and I loose the guitar. I know that I
>> >could
>> >nail his feet to the floor but I would prefer to install a temporary
>> >pickup
>> >into his Martin. I would appreciate hearing your opinions of the best
>> >sounding quick mount pickups if one even exists. Sound is very
>> >important to
>> >me. Presently I use a KM184 which I like very much when he is standing
>> >in
>> >place. I plan to do more of this in the future and can see that this
>> >will
>> >be a reoccurring theme. To a lesser degree, similar suggestions for a
>> >mandolin would also be helpful.
>>
>> Try a Countryman (or whatever your favorite lav mike is) on the guitar
>> rather than a pickup. You probably already have it in the kit, you don't
>> have to deal with instrument levels, it will work on any instrument
>> made, and it'll be easier to set up.
>>
>> Gain before feedback won't be as good, but you don't care about that.
>> You just want the performer to be able to move around.
>> --scott
>>
>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
>
> I'm with Scott on this. In live TV, I've had to mic acoustics in a
> hurry, and the lavalier is quick and sounds good. I've had such success
> at using them in my TV job that I have started using them for live
> gigs.
>
> A hint or two: Clip it at the TOP if the sound hole, so that does not
> become an obstacle for the player. And the proximity effect is quite
> pronounced, so be prepared to roll off a lot of the bottom. You might
> want to tape the thin cable to the back of the guitar to keep it taut,
> and have the player either clip the preamp to his belt or slide it in a
> pocket.
>
> Hey Scott: Do you think Recording mag would be interested in an article
> about doing audio for music on TV? I bet me, Lorin and a few others
> could relate some good war stories!

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:33:37 AM

Thanks, I found it on their site.

John

news:D bisdi$pia$1@panix2.panix.com...
> John Phillips <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>The Countryman is an around the ear setup so how would you install it on a
>>guitar? It appears that it would somehow mount between the strap and the
>>body.
>
> Countryman does make a headset mike, but they also make lav mikes.
> Any lavalier type you like will be fine.
> --scott

July 20, 2005 11:11:14 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1121790739.191563.49970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> blackburst@aol.com writes:
>
> > Do you think Recording mag would be interested in an article
> > about doing audio for music on TV? I bet me, Lorin and a few others
> > could relate some good war stories!
>
> It can't hurt to ask. They've been pretty heavy on software for the
> past couple of years, but every once in a while they manage to give a
> dose of reality.

Actually, Mike, you just hit on a point of my concern. I have a
collection of Recording mags going back many years, to the earliest
issues of "Home and Studio Recording". Always loved it. But in recent
years, there has been a major tilt toward computers and software. Now
this may be a business-savvy legit reaction to changes in the market.
But I personally miss the non-software stuff. Sure, I work with NLEs
and audio software in my TV job, but at home, I just love my 2
ADAT-XTs, Yamaha 01V, outboard efx by TC, Lexicon and others. I even
bought a Tascam 2488 with my last tax return (Don't tell my wife!!!) I
wish there were more in the mag for me!

Steve Tyler said something in the Making of Pump video about the
self-assured feeling of driving home with the cassette in his back
pocket. For me, there is nothing like having a multitrack TAPE to keep.
Today, I can go back and rework a 4-track from 1973, an 8-track from
1986, or a "16-track ADAT" from 1995. There's just something about that
hard copy...
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:24:38 AM

John Phillips wrote:
> Please provide a few suggestions as I am not clear on the lav mic thing.
> Can you provide an internet link for additional help?
>
> John

No, just my experience. I have used mostly Sony ECM-44 lavaliers. Just
clip it to the sound hole of the guitar: Sometimes on the top of the
hole, sometimes on the bottom of the hole, but near the end of the
fretboard. Roll a lot of the low frequencies off to overcome the
proximity effect (boominess).

It gives the guitar a close-miked sound with good rejection of other
sounds, and you can then processit with efx to give it a little space.

I discovered it by accident when a famous guest on a live TV program
suddenly decided to play a few tunes. Panic. I had all of a 2:30
commercial break to mic the guitar and patch in some quick compression
and efx. Everbody at the station was going "ooooh" and "aaaah" when we
listened to it afterward, including the artist and me! Pure dumb luck,
but some good discoveries are just that.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:13:31 PM

In article <A4fDe.16418$oj4.357828@twister.southeast.rr.com> jsp5646@hotmail.com writes:

> Just to clarify, when he walked away it was 3 to 6 feet from the mic. There
> was no guitar at the greater distances.

Love that showmanship! But if he was still playing, there was probalby
still enough guitar in the live mix, and that's what the recording
should sound like. Of course if he wasn't playing, he probalby won't
play either if you duct taped his feet to the floor or put a pickup on
his guitar.

July 20, 2005 5:30:41 PM

i'd say scrap the soundhole pickup. i've tried dean markley stuff (very
bad, 3 out of 10) and fishman rare earth (ok, say 5 out of 10). but the
expressions sytem in my taylor 414ce is way way better sounding then
either (say 8 or 9 out of 10). its the best sounding guitar and pickup
system for under 2 grand that i have heard.

if you have to use a soundhole pickup maybe try and and find something
that uses the same technology of the taylor systems.

honestly my taylor going directly into my mackie smr450 powered monitor
sounds great. way better then any of the other stuff i've heard for
under 2k.

only trouble is the expression system is noisy if not properly
grounded. a major mess up if you ask me on taylors part. apparently
they assume you will always be in some pro studio with that guitar. for
$1700 i don't expect it to buzz at live gigs with poor grounding. ha!
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:10:22 PM

John Phillips wrote:
> I would appreciate hearing your opinions of the best
> sounding quick mount pickups if one even exists. Sound is very important to
> me. Presently I use a KM184 which I like very much when he is standing in
> place. I plan to do more of this in the future and can see that this will
> be a reoccurring theme. To a lesser degree, similar suggestions for a
> mandolin would also be helpful.

I've literally used almost every acoustic guitar pickup system on the
market over the years. By far the best magnetic soundhole P/U is the
Sunrise, IMHO. It has to be run into one of the matching Sunrise
preamps for optimum performance. The S-TI tube pre is incredible, not
only for this magnetic pickup, but for many other applications as well.
It's specifically designed to develop the microphonic sound this
pickup has, as well as load the magnet output properly. The tube pre
is around $1200, the pickup is $200 or so.

If you're doing this type of show often, this is an excellent setup.
If you only need it occasionally and can't spend that much for that,
Sunrise has lower cost ($180-200 or so) solid state preamps that are
also well-matched to the pickup, but don't have the complete tone of
the tube pre.

Check Emmylou, Richard Thompson, Beck, Michael Hedges, Shawn Colvin,
David Wilcox, Keith Richards, Leo Kottke, etc. for references.

If you don't want a magnet in the soundhole, the Trance Audio Acoustic
Lens ($495) is the premier soundboard transducer system, again in my
experience. Although it's a stereo system designed for permanent
internal installation, it can also be used by temporarily mounting
both, or just one, of the SBTs on the outside with sticky tape.
Usually behind, and close to the bridge. Placement is key with these
types of pickups, so you'd need some experience ahead of time to know
what to expect from your performers instruments.

The Trance system is the successor to the famous FRAP, designed by
Arnie Lazarus in the '70s. Used by Neil Young, Michael Hedges, Jackson
Browne, Beck, etc. Jimmy Page had one taped to the outside of his
Martin on the Earls Court DVD released recently.

I've recorded both of those pickups many times. All acoustic guitar
pickups will need EQ and maybe a little FX delay, but these two are
particularly good sounding ones and can sound very natural in a mix.

Of course local instrument mics can be nice too, if you're only sending
the output to the recorder. If you're running wedges and a guitar
player gets loose with an open mic, better have your hands on the
wheel...

Steve
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:09:43 PM

In article <1121868674.674293.146800@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> blackburst@aol.com writes:

> Actually, Mike, you just hit on a point of my concern. I have a
> collection of Recording mags going back many years, to the earliest
> issues of "Home and Studio Recording". Always loved it. But in recent
> years, there has been a major tilt toward computers and software. Now
> this may be a business-savvy legit reaction to changes in the market.

It is. Most of the readers are now using DAWs and I suspect that a
good many of them have never used a hardware recorder at all other
than perhaps a cassette. I'll admit that makes a digital system look
pretty good.

July 21, 2005 3:02:22 AM

Thanks for the pointers.

> John Phillips wrote:
>> Please provide a few suggestions as I am not clear on the lav mic thing.
>> Can you provide an internet link for additional help?
>>
>> John
>
> No, just my experience. I have used mostly Sony ECM-44 lavaliers. Just
> clip it to the sound hole of the guitar: Sometimes on the top of the
> hole, sometimes on the bottom of the hole, but near the end of the
> fretboard. Roll a lot of the low frequencies off to overcome the
> proximity effect (boominess).
>
> It gives the guitar a close-miked sound with good rejection of other
> sounds, and you can then processit with efx to give it a little space.
>
> I discovered it by accident when a famous guest on a live TV program
> suddenly decided to play a few tunes. Panic. I had all of a 2:30
> commercial break to mic the guitar and patch in some quick compression
> and efx. Everbody at the station was going "ooooh" and "aaaah" when we
> listened to it afterward, including the artist and me! Pure dumb luck,
> but some good discoveries are just that.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:06:54 AM

Thanks Steve, this is exactly the type of information that I need.

John

"Steve Scott" <squeegybug@netspace1.com> wrote in message
> John Phillips wrote:
>> I would appreciate hearing your opinions of the best
>> sounding quick mount pickups if one even exists. Sound is very important
>> me. Presently I use a KM184 which I like very much when he is standing
>> in
>> place. I plan to do more of this in the future and can see that this
>> will
>> be a reoccurring theme. To a lesser degree, similar suggestions for a
>> mandolin would also be helpful.
>
> I've literally used almost every acoustic guitar pickup system on the
> market over the years. By far the best magnetic soundhole P/U is the
> Sunrise, IMHO. It has to be run into one of the matching Sunrise
> preamps for optimum performance. The S-TI tube pre is incredible, not
> only for this magnetic pickup, but for many other applications as well.
> It's specifically designed to develop the microphonic sound this
> pickup has, as well as load the magnet output properly. The tube pre
> is around $1200, the pickup is $200 or so.
>
> If you're doing this type of show often, this is an excellent setup.
> If you only need it occasionally and can't spend that much for that,
> Sunrise has lower cost ($180-200 or so) solid state preamps that are
> also well-matched to the pickup, but don't have the complete tone of
> the tube pre.
>
> Check Emmylou, Richard Thompson, Beck, Michael Hedges, Shawn Colvin,
> David Wilcox, Keith Richards, Leo Kottke, etc. for references.
>
> If you don't want a magnet in the soundhole, the Trance Audio Acoustic
> Lens ($495) is the premier soundboard transducer system, again in my
> experience. Although it's a stereo system designed for permanent
> internal installation, it can also be used by temporarily mounting
> both, or just one, of the SBTs on the outside with sticky tape.
> Usually behind, and close to the bridge. Placement is key with these
> types of pickups, so you'd need some experience ahead of time to know
> what to expect from your performers instruments.
>
> The Trance system is the successor to the famous FRAP, designed by
> Arnie Lazarus in the '70s. Used by Neil Young, Michael Hedges, Jackson
> Browne, Beck, etc. Jimmy Page had one taped to the outside of his
> Martin on the Earls Court DVD released recently.
>
> I've recorded both of those pickups many times. All acoustic guitar
> pickups will need EQ and maybe a little FX delay, but these two are
> particularly good sounding ones and can sound very natural in a mix.
>
> Of course local instrument mics can be nice too, if you're only sending
> the output to the recorder. If you're running wedges and a guitar
> player gets loose with an open mic, better have your hands on the
> wheel...
>
> Steve

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:27:18 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, all of you have been a big help.

John

"John Phillips" <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I know that this has been discussed before but I would like to narrow the
>focus a bit. When I record an acoustic group (gospel / bluegrass) in
>concert, sometimes the acoustic guitar player will walk away from the mic
>stand when he is not singing and I loose the guitar. I know that I could
>nail his feet to the floor but I would prefer to install a temporary pickup
>into his Martin. I would appreciate hearing your opinions of the best
>sounding quick mount pickups if one even exists. Sound is very important
>to me. Presently I use a KM184 which I like very much when he is standing
>in place. I plan to do more of this in the future and can see that this
>will be a reoccurring theme. To a lesser degree, similar suggestions for a
>mandolin would also be helpful.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts,
>
> John Phillips

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:16:33 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> In article <4iYCe.11572$oj4.284863@twister.sovtheast.rr.com> jsp5646@hotmail.com writes:
>

>>I know that this has been discvssed before bvt I wovld like to narrow the
>>focvs a bit. When I record an acovstic grovp (gospel / blvegrass) in
>>concert, sometimes the acovstic gvitar player will walk away from the mic
>>stand when he is not singing and I loose the gvitar.
>

> That's the way it's svpposed to sovnd. Enjoy it. If yov find the
> contracst too radical, yov're pvtting too mvch gvitar into the mix.
> Listen to both classic and modern blvegrass recordings and yov'll find
> this is almost always the case.

I know Alison Kravse & Union Station is not
blvegrass, bvt:

1) Have yov seen the PBS "Sovndstage" performance?
2) What did yov think?

I thovght that, for mvlti-mic, it sovnded very good.
They did close with a more-or-less single-mic
rendering of old gospel.

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

In article <BZ8Ee.13162$t43.6814@tornado.tampabay.rr.com> noway@jose.com writes:

> I know Alison Kravse & Union Station is not
> blvegrass, bvt:
>
> 1) Have yov seen the PBS "Sovndstage" performance?

No, bvt I saw them live at the Ryman Avditorivm once (short set, part
of a special show) and they sovnded fine. Bvt they practice their
shows, and that inclvdes practicing how they work microphones.

> They did close with a more-or-less single-mic
> rendering of old gospel.

Yeah, that's a show thing these days. Again, yov have to practice
doing it or it falls apart.

However, vntil the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
yov e-mail me and it bovnces, vse yovr secret decoder ring
and reach me here: dovble-m-eleven-dovble-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:32:37 PM

I did not see the performance. I will try and track one down as I am very
interested. Is this a CD or DVD or both?

John

!