MN500

Can someone please help me???

I setup the MN 500 now for the third time. The first time
i had connection to the internet, then..nothing.
Installed again..connection..then, same problem,
uintstall, install again..connection and then no
connection a day later. What can i can do now?
I don't have a firewall anymore because it also gave
problems. I did everything what it said to do. Can
someone help me?

Nick.
12 answers Last reply
More about mn500

    First several questions so we can help you. The more you answer the
    better we can help you.

    1) Which version of the firmware are you running on your MN-500?

    2) Who is your ISP?

    3) What country are you in?

    4) Does your ISP require you to have AOL open to connect to the Internet?

    5) What kind of Internet connection do you have? (Examples cable, DSL,
    T1, Fixed wireless, satellite.)

    6) What is the brand & model of your broadband modem?

    7) What OS are you running on the computer you are configuring the
    router from?

    8) Are you required to use Winpoet or Enternet300 to connect?

    Please answer these questions and I can then help you. If you are not
    sure how to answer some of the questions, just ask & I'll try to help
    you as best I can.

    Nick wrote:

    > Can someone please help me???
    >
    > I setup the MN 500 now for the third time. The first time
    > i had connection to the internet, then..nothing.
    > Installed again..connection..then, same problem,
    > uintstall, install again..connection and then no
    > connection a day later. What can i can do now?
    > I don't have a firewall anymore because it also gave
    > problems. I did everything what it said to do. Can
    > someone help me?
    >
    > Nick.

    see answers under the questions.

    MN-500? I don't know, but not the latest. I never got
    updates for the Wireless-mn500 basestation.

    >2) Who is your ISP?
    My ISP, the basestation found it automatic. I have
    earthlink dsl.

    >3) What country are you in?
    >United States. Miami/FL
    >4) Does your ISP require you to have AOL open to connect
    to the Internet? No, Internet explorer. now for, i am
    connected with the base station.

    >5) What kind of Internet connection do you have?
    (Examples cable, DSL,
    >T1, Fixed wireless, satellite.) DSL, earthlink
    >
    >6) What is the brand & model of your broadband modem?
    >Speedstream, that's what i read.
    >7) What OS are you running on the computer you are
    configuring the
    >router from? i don't know. I have to be honest with you,
    i am not a computer wizzard. those technical stuff i
    don't know. I do everything what's tell me in the
    instructions.

    >8) Are you required to use Winpoet or Enternet300 to
    connect? Ethernet. I am using a Dell PC, Winpoet is for a
    stupid apple mac right?

    >Please answer these questions and I can then help you.
    If you are not
    >sure how to answer some of the questions, just ask &
    I'll try to help
    >you as best I can.

    Now It's connected. It's working fine, but I am affraid
    that tomorrow, i have the same problem again. Please, I
    hope you can help me, because i get tired of it.

    >Nick wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone please help me???
    >>
    >> I setup the MN 500 now for the third time. The first
    time
    >> i had connection to the internet, then..nothing.
    >> Installed again..connection..then, same problem,
    >> uintstall, install again..connection and then no
    >> connection a day later. What can i can do now?
    >> I don't have a firewall anymore because it also gave
    >> problems. I did everything what it said to do. Can
    >> someone help me?
    >>
    >> Nick.
    >>

    >.

    I updated the 2.0 version. is that the newest firmware?

    Date 10-03-2003. Can that be a problem? I hope not
    because there are not new updates availible.

    >>2) Who is your ISP?
    >My ISP, the basestation found it automatic. I have
    >earthlink dsl (mindspring.com)
    >>
    >>3) What country are you in?
    >>United States. Miami/FL
    >>4) Does your ISP require you to have AOL open to
    connect
    >to the Internet? No, Internet explorer, now for, i am
    >connected with the base station.
    >>
    >>5) What kind of Internet connection do you have?
    >(Examples cable, DSL,
    >>T1, Fixed wireless, satellite.) DSL, earthlink
    >>
    >>6) What is the brand & model of your broadband modem?
    >>Speedstream, that's what i read.
    >>7) What OS are you running on the computer you are
    >configuring the
    >>router from? i don't know. I have to be honest with
    you,
    >i am not a computer wizzard. those technical stuff i
    >don't know. I do everything what's tell me in the
    >instructions.
    >>
    >>8) Are you required to use Winpoet or Enternet300 to
    >connect? Ethernet. I am using a Dell PC, Winpoet is for
    >stupid apple mac right?
    >>
    >>Please answer these questions and I can then help you.
    >If you are not
    >>sure how to answer some of the questions, just ask &
    >I'll try to help
    >>you as best I can.
    >
    >Now It's connected. It's working fine, but I am affraid
    >that tomorrow, i have the same problem again. Please, I
    >hope you can help me, because i get tired of it.
    >>
    >>Nick wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can someone please help me???
    >>>
    >>> I setup the MN 500 now for the third time. The first
    >time
    >>> i had connection to the internet, then..nothing.
    >>> Installed again..connection..then, same problem,
    >>> uintstall, install again..connection and then no
    >>> connection a day later. What can i can do now?
    >>> I don't have a firewall anymore because it also gave
    >>> problems. I did everything what it said to do. Can
    >>> someone help me?
    >>>
    >>> Nick.
    >>>

    >>.
    >>
    >.

    That's the broadband network utility. the update that included that
    would also have updated your firmware.

    > I updated the 2.0 version. is that the newest firmware?

    Your firmware is up to date with the latest version.

    The operating system would be the version of Windows.

    Winpoet & Enternet300 are used for a PPPoE connection when you don't
    have a router or Windows XP (I don't know if they have a Macintosh
    version of that software).

    When it stops working is it on both wired & wireless or just the
    wireless connections?

    If it is both wired & wireless that is effected, when the Internet stops
    working browse to http://192.168.2.1 and view the basestation log. If
    the last entry is a PADT you will need to enabled the "Maximum idle
    time" feature by entering in a number (The amount of time is measured in
    seconds) and make sure the "Auto-reconnect" box is checked.

    If it's just the wireless computer(s), Which version of Windows are they
    running?

    The router is jacked to the dell and the wireless one is
    the mobile centrino labtop.

    Both computers are running on windows XP. Now the
    connection is excellent. The router is working and I can
    go online on both computers.

    make sure the "Auto-reconnect" box is checked.where can
    do that?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    For the "Maximum idle time" & "Auto-reconnect" I'm assuming you are on a
    PPPoE connection.

    Some DSL providers run both PPPoE & dynamic in different areas.

    I'm not 100% sure in your area which it is.

    In the Basestation management tool on the WAN page.

    The same page where the "Maximum idle time" feature is listed.

    On the wireless computer Uninstall the Broadband networking utility.

    And use Windows XP to configure the wireless connection.

    The Broadband networking utility has some issues like the one you just
    mentioned on Windows XP.

    Seeing as Windows XP is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support
    wireless networking you can use Windows instead.

    Also disable 802.1x authentication for the wireless connection as the
    MN-500 doesn't support it.

    Nick wrote:
    > The router is jacked to the dell and the wireless one is
    > the mobile centrino labtop.
    >
    > Both computers are running on windows XP. Now the
    > connection is excellent. The router is working and I can
    > go online on both computers.
    >
    > make sure the "Auto-reconnect" box is checked.where can
    > do that?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Yes, it run on PPPoE and the information what I had to
    specify under Poit-to-Point Protocol is correct.
    Auto-reconnect is also checked, and I have 0 seconds.
    That is next to the words Miximum idle time. Do i also
    have to change the seconds?

    This morning i log on again on my computer and I again no
    connection. I saved everything and now I did it again.
    what else can I do?

    Where can i see if 802.1x authentication is unchecked?

    thank you.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Maybe I am doing this wrong. When I turn of my computer I
    also turn off the router.

    Yes, it run on PPPoE and the information what I had to
    specify under Poit-to-Point Protocol is correct.
    Auto-reconnect is also checked, and I have 0 seconds.
    That is next to the words Miximum idle time. Do i also
    have to change the seconds?

    The name of the Local domain name (optional) is also
    correct. I can read the IP adress, that came automatic, I
    have no idea where i can check that, anyway, DHCP server
    is enabled, DHCP starting address and DHCP ending address
    is okay i guess, It's almost like the IP address but then
    the last numbers are different. one fore start and
    end.Lease time for assigned IP address is 2 hours. Do I
    have to change that?

    This morning i log on again on my computer and I again no
    connection. I saved everything and now I did it again.
    what else can I do?

    Where can i see if 802.1x authentication is unchecked?

    thank you.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Put in a number like 600 for the maximum idle time.

    Nick wrote:
    > Yes, it run on PPPoE and the information what I had to
    > specify under Poit-to-Point Protocol is correct.
    > Auto-reconnect is also checked, and I have 0 seconds.
    > That is next to the words Miximum idle time. Do i also
    > have to change the seconds?
    >
    > This morning i log on again on my computer and I again no
    > connection. I saved everything and now I did it again.
    > what else can I do?
    >
    > Where can i see if 802.1x authentication is unchecked?
    >
    > thank you.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Leave the router on 24/7.

    You go into the network connections. Properties of the wireless network
    connection. Authentication tab. Uncheck it. If you don't have the
    authentication tab go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & download
    all of the critical updates including SP1. Then disable 802.1x
    authentication.

    Nick wrote:

    > Yes, it run on PPPoE and the information what I had to
    > specify under Poit-to-Point Protocol is correct.
    > Auto-reconnect is also checked, and I have 0 seconds.
    > That is next to the words Miximum idle time. Do i also
    > have to change the seconds?
    >
    > This morning i log on again on my computer and I again no
    > connection. I saved everything and now I did it again.
    > what else can I do?
    >
    > Where can i see if 802.1x authentication is unchecked?
    >
    > thank you.

Routers Hardware Connection Microsoft Networking