dragon

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Hello everyone I have a question, I was looking to increase my RAM inexpensively if possible. I have a DELL computer 440bx motherbaord that was 350MHZ pent , which I upgraded to a 700MHZ processor, the board has a 100MHZ bus. I have 3X 128mb SDRAM currently. I would like to get over 512MB if possible and i have noticed they have 256mb 100MHZ SDRAM now, Can i use 256MB modules of SDRAM in my computer running WIN 98?
Thank you for any advice you can offer....

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Well I did some research on your motherboard, and the board supports 1 GB of memory. There is four slots so that is 256 MB of RAM per slot. So, you can put in 256 MB sticks if you want. But before you buy the RAM, check with the manual on your particular motherboard and make sure it supports 1 GB. It should be the same, but sometimes they are different. Good luck.

dragon

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
this is what i found on dell's website, for 440bx agp motherboard

3 Dimm sockets and says limit is 384mb, but is this before the 256 modules even came out maybe?, what is the source that says it is 1GB? Is this info outdated?
FROM DELL WEBSITE .....
Memory
Architecture ECC or non-ECC SDRAM modules (To support ECC, all installed DIMMs must be ECC-capable.)
DIMM sockets 3
DIMM capacities 32, 64, and 128 MB
Minimum RAM 64 MB (non-ECC)
Maximum RAM 384 MB
Frequency 100 MHz
Clock cycle 10 ns (supports 4 clocks only)
CAS latency 3
SPD revision 1.2
Buffering unbuffered
Voltage 3.3 V
Data bus width 8 bits
BIOS address F0000h
NOTE: Only 100-MHz DIMMs are supported. The system can include both ECC and non-ECC memory; however, to support ECC, all installed DIMMs must be ECC-capable. ECC DIMMs have 9 memory chips on the module and non-ECC DIMMs have 8 chips.

dragon

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Ok so if im running win 98 there is a 512MB ram cap? so if I put in one 256 SDRAM with two 128's i have already ill be at the 512MB, but can the board handle that much, it says in specs up to 384? or is this based on the prior 128mb per module max?

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
I stuck a 512MB 133 into a BH6, it only saw 256MB. The board is toast now and so is the memory and 4MB of add on memory to the G200 Matrox Millenium.

The capacitors look fine. Maybe one of the coils is bad. It comes up but u can't put a video card in that will do anything with windows. It still runs Linux with garbage graphics performance.

What went bad first, or what caused something to go bad?
Who knows I don't.

This board could take <b>double sided</b> 256MB memory, there were 3 slots and it said max 768MB.

Moral of the story is I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, spend $$$ for nothing or help them burn out your components.
-----------------------------------------------------------
<b>
1) You have plenty of memory for windows 98 with 384MB. Save your money for a future upgrade.
</b>
2) Lots of 440BX chipset boards can take <b>256MB double sided</b> memory. Stick in a single sided 128, 256, or 512 and your asking for to see half and asking to see trouble.

3)Windows 98 can use more than 512MB <b>but</b> anyone is likely to have trouble over this "limit". There are settings you have to change. I tried on the Mobo mentioned above but was never able to get a stable system above 640MB. Other people have claimed to go higher.

4)If you have a friend who is willing to possibly burn a double sided 256MB chip then you might try and burn it for him and possibly ruin your computer.

5)Other people may get on here and claim that you can put the 512MB on the board. I say why bother..windows 98 really doesn't need it, just make sure you have plenty of free swap space.

---------------------------------------------------------
I would err on the side of caution and keep my machine or sell it to someone else.

=================================================
Here is a somewhat similar discussion:
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=84032#84032" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=84032#84032</A>
===================================================
Does your Dell system have a name like Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX1 ?
Please supply it if it does. It will be easier to read the specifications:
eg.<A HREF="http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/ban_gx1/specs.htm" target="_new">http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/ban_gx1/specs.htm</A>
Notice this one says 768MB (256MB double sided allowed) and is intel 440BX chipset.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/04/03 07:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yes all of the 440 based boards had strict memory density limitations...if dell says that 3x 128 is the limmit...then it may very well be...

Go to the crucial.com memory selector to see what the largest dimm module they say your system can support is...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
The max is 512MB for Win98 unless you do some OS tweaking.

For the BX series of boards the densities were limited to 128MB single sided modules and 256MB with double sided modules.

The simplest solution is to buy two 256MB double sided PC133 or PC100 modules for that board. If you have two 128MB sticks put the new 256MB stick in DIMM 0 put the others in DIMM1 and DIMM2.

The best solution is the first way. This way the memory does not have any conflicts between brands which can happen some times.

Live near Toronto and like to game but you can't make it to Quakecon?
<A HREF="http://www.lanmash.com" target="_new"><b>LANMash2 is the same weekend 200+ gamers!</b></A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your board is capable of supporting up to 3 256MB DIMMs. It's an Intel SE440BX or SE440BX/2 with Dell BIOS and Dell Power. Intel's retail boards used the same parts/PCB, but a different set of power connections were used.

OK, I've heard the Dell's SE440BX/2 wasn't VRM 8.4 compliant. This would stink, because that's what's needed to support the lower voltage of Coppermine core processors. You can try a PIII 700 Slot 1 to find out of course.

If it's not compatable, it would be a power issue. One workaround I've found is to use a Socket 370 processor and an adjustable Slot adapter, and set the voltage to 1.80v. This is a reasonable value for the Coppermine core, which came specified at 1.65v-1.75v for that speed.

Perhaps a better alternative if you find the PIII 700 Slot 1 incompatable would be an Powerleap kit. These are expensive, but have an onboard VRM, are detected by the board as being 2.05v, and this eliminates the power issue.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Crashman on 08/05/03 08:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i have an se440bx-2 board and it supports the Cu-mine core...when you say they switched the power connectons...do you mean they are using diffrent regulators? If not then a se440bx-2 board will support a 1.65 volt Cu-mine processor...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Piii_MAN on 08/05/03 08:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
j00 are not listening.

2 things:

1.) Look at your ATX connector. Notice several solder points next to it, unused. The Dell power connector is offset to use those solder points. Also notice the missing 6-pin power header. Dell uses that too, to replace the missing voltages from moving the power connector. This has nothing to do with the VRM.

2.) The SE440BX had VRM 8.2. The SE440BX-2 had VRM 8.4. I heard a rumor that the Dell version of the SE440BX-2 used the older VRM 8.2 from the SE440BX. This is possible, since Dell custom ordered their boards from Intel.

I can't substantiate that rumor, I can't prove it untrue either. Lacking any other evidence, I can only say that if a PIII 700 Slot-1 doesn't work, he can still use a Powerleap adapter.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>