Anyone know the story behind the demise of Sek'D converter..

Last response: in Home Audio
July 19, 2005 8:59:25 PM

greetings;

back in 1996 or so i ventured 'inside the box' when i bought my first
DAW. (although i still use my 'hybrid' out of the box path to mix most
projects). i bought Samplitude, the Sek'D 2496S ADDA converter and a Prodif
Pro PCI card from Sek'D. this combination has worked fantastically for me,
and i have been very pleased with the progress of Samplitude as a platform.
a few years ago, however, Sek'D split from Samplitude -- and now i just
found out that Sek'D is currently only offering 2 PCI cards, having
discontinued their ADDA boxes and other cards.
question is, does anyone know what's going on with this company? i'm
disappointed because their Prodif card has worked flawlessly for me for 9
years with 3 different computers. the ADDA box i have (the cheaper one of
the 2 they offered) has also worked flawlessly, and although it's not the
best sounding outboard ADDA, it's no slouch either (i'd put it in the range
of a Swissonic or Lucid converter).

i e-mailed Sek'D america and they said they discontinued their
converters because 'we didn't sell enough'. do any of you out there have any
experience with their converters? did they not sell enough because of
marketing issues, or because there were issues with their line? their top
end model went for over $4000 and boasted a dynamic range of 132 db -- has
anyone used this model?

i'm asking because i'm considering trading in my Prodif Pro for the
current Prodif 88 card (so i can add inputs and because it has drivers for
current OS's), and picking up their top of the line 2496DSP converter (which
i have found used for a very good price -- Sek'D says they can provide
service in Germany). am i an idiot for sticking with a company that is
continually shrinking, or are the 9 years of good service and reliability,
and a considerable 'bang for the buck' ratio worth the risk?

would appreciate any informed input --

thanks much,

norman northerly@sbcglobal.net
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:04:57 AM

Hi,

> a few years ago, however, Sek'D split from Samplitude

Sort of... Magix took over as distributor for the software products.
SEK'D germany went bankrupt in December 2001.

> question is, does anyone know what's going on with this company?

There isn't really any such company nowadays... Just a brand name, owned
by Plus24 Music (http://www.plus24.net/).

> i e-mailed Sek'D america and they said they discontinued their
> converters because 'we didn't sell enough'. do any of you out there have any
> experience with their converters? did they not sell enough because of
> marketing issues, or because there were issues with their line? their top
> end model went for over $4000 and boasted a dynamic range of 132 db -- has
> anyone used this model?

Not personally, but it is very good. It was made by a small company in
Germany for SEK'D, who later made a hi-end 8-channel converter, sold
under their own name (Kuhnle). Not sure if they still do, though...

> i'm asking because i'm considering trading in my Prodif Pro for the
> current Prodif 88 card (so i can add inputs and because it has drivers for
> current OS's),

There are XP drivers for the Prodif Plus:
http://drivers.marian.de/prodifplus/w2k/pdp-nt5-us-110....
The following statement is from Marian (http://marian.de/en/news), who
manufactured the card:

********
The development and the support for the SEK'D products:
Arc44, Arc88, Prodif 24, Prodif 96 Pro and Prodif PLUS has discontinued.
Marian developed the hardware and the drivers of this products, but
sales, support and distribution was the responsibility of SEK'D. SEK'D
Soft- und Hardware Vetriebs GmbH Germany closed down appr. 3 years ago
and SEK'D products are now distributed by the California based company
plus24 (www.plus24.net), who also ownes the SEK'D brand name.
Nevertheless, Marian continued the support and driver development in the
interest of the users for over one year even when no of this products
were sold.
Exclusively for Prodif 96 PRO and Prodif PLUS users Marian offers
special updates to much more modern products of our product range. You
save up tp app. 260,- € towards the normal purchase price! Please
contact mailto:sales@marian.de, if you are interested in such a product
update.
************

> and picking up their top of the line 2496DSP converter (which
> i have found used for a very good price -- Sek'D says they can provide
> service in Germany). am i an idiot for sticking with a company that is
> continually shrinking,

.... non-existent, practically. As an independent company, that is. It's
just a name.

> or are the 9 years of good service and reliability,
> and a considerable 'bang for the buck' ratio worth the risk?

If you get the converter at a good price, I see no reason not to buy it.

Daniel
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:37:57 AM

Daniel -- great info...thanks so much.

will contact Marian for driver update and probably pass on the trade-in plus
$450 that Plus24 offered me for a prodif 88 card (seeing as there are'nt
likely to be os updates for SEK'D stuff going into the future). will need
to find a replacement card in the near future though, but will take some
time to look around. if i can get the 2496DSP on the cheap i will probably
do that however.

too bad about SEK'D -- their products seemed to be quite good. must have
been a mismanagement issue of some kind.

thanks again, norman

!