cheap portable wifi solution

July 18, 2004 4:12:26 PM

hi, im a student on a real tight budget looking for a portable wifi
solution such as a pda, im just wondering can anyone tell me of the
cheapest option available. i have been looking at cheap pdas on ebay
but they dont seem to have cf slot for a wifi adaptor. im just
wondering also how have other people got on looking for cheap wifi
solutions. i was hoping to use my p133 laptop but all wifi pcmcia
adaptors seem to require 32bit cardbus and mine is 16bit.

thanks for any advice

kaine
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 5:46:20 PM

Hi Kaine,

Don't think it is the cheapest, but the Palm Tungsten|C is an excellent PDA wireless solution. A client of mine picked up 15 of
them to work on their production floor. They have been very happy with the results.

I've not really gotten into using a Palm for Internet/E-mail. I use my HP Pavilion zd7010us laptop for all of my on-line work.
Again not cheap, but if you have a real need (mission critical) for WiFi then you might want to consider buying a new laptop.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly

kaine wrote:
> hi, im a student on a real tight budget looking for a portable wifi
> solution such as a pda, im just wondering can anyone tell me of the
> cheapest option available. i have been looking at cheap pdas on ebay
> but they dont seem to have cf slot for a wifi adaptor. im just
> wondering also how have other people got on looking for cheap wifi
> solutions. i was hoping to use my p133 laptop but all wifi pcmcia
> adaptors seem to require 32bit cardbus and mine is 16bit.
>
> thanks for any advice
>
> kaine
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 1:52:17 AM

Have you tried one of those pendrive/Wifi adapter combos that plug into
the USB?
July 19, 2004 3:08:50 AM

"kaine" <kainekainekaine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi, im a student on a real tight budget looking for a portable wifi
> solution such as a pda, im just wondering can anyone tell me of the
> cheapest option available. i have been looking at cheap pdas on ebay
> but they dont seem to have cf slot for a wifi adaptor. im just
> wondering also how have other people got on looking for cheap wifi
> solutions. i was hoping to use my p133 laptop but all wifi pcmcia
> adaptors seem to require 32bit cardbus and mine is 16bit.
>
> thanks for any advice
>
> kaine

How cheap?

One solution would be to buy an inexpensive Palm device on eBay and then
supplement it with an Endora "WiFi Wallet" (for lack of a better term). See
it at
http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/palmgear/vendor.asp...

While you are over at eBay, do a search for "TRG PRO". This was an
excellent PDA in its time, upgradable to PalmOS 3.5 with 8MB of RAM and a CF
slot. I see that they have sold on eBay recently for as little as $25.00,
though the two units currently available are already in the $135 range with
a few days yet to go...

Carmine Castiglia
http://www.infosystemspro.com
Home of Geo-Matic for the Palm and Decimal Equivalents, Drills & Tap Drills
for the Palm (and screws too!)
More to come!
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 3:55:52 AM

If you go the TRGpro route, you will need to get the WiFi drivers from the
Handera web site.

--
_____________
Thank a veteran

On 18 Jul 2004 12:12:26 -0700, kainekainekaine@hotmail.com (kaine) spewed forth
these words of wisdom:

>hi, im a student on a real tight budget looking for a portable wifi
>solution such as a pda, im just wondering can anyone tell me of the
>cheapest option available. i have been looking at cheap pdas on ebay
>but they dont seem to have cf slot for a wifi adaptor. im just
>wondering also how have other people got on looking for cheap wifi
>solutions. i was hoping to use my p133 laptop but all wifi pcmcia
>adaptors seem to require 32bit cardbus and mine is 16bit.
>
>thanks for any advice
>
>kaine

Used Palm Zire 71 with a SanDisk WiFi SD card. $250-300.

Galley
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 2:17:11 PM

Besides PDA options, small, used mini-notebooks such as the Libretto
100/110 with a free (or cheap <$10) Wifi Card will let you run all
Windows software and go portable in a 2lbs package for about $200-400.
Bigger screen lets you surf with ease vs. the PDAs.

http://www.silverace.com/libretto/
buy off www.ebay.com

If you sub. the T-Mobile Wireless Internet service ($29.99/month
unlimited) and use a cheap card (Merlin G100 GPRS PCMICA card <$80 on
www.ebay.com or $99 at TMobile.com), you can then go anywhere in the USA
where you have cell phone coverage and go online.
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 3:24:06 PM

I am trying out a Tungsten C>

Is there a way to keep the wifi alive when the screen shuts off? We want
it to let us know if email arrives, but when the screen shuts off the
wifi goes down as well.

Steve

kaine wrote:
> hi, im a student on a real tight budget looking for a portable wifi
> solution such as a pda, im just wondering can anyone tell me of the
> cheapest option available. i have been looking at cheap pdas on ebay
> but they dont seem to have cf slot for a wifi adaptor. im just
> wondering also how have other people got on looking for cheap wifi
> solutions. i was hoping to use my p133 laptop but all wifi pcmcia
> adaptors seem to require 32bit cardbus and mine is 16bit.
>
> thanks for any advice
>
> kaine
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 7:35:59 PM

Steve Humphrey <steve.humphrey@ece.queensu.ca> wrote in

> I am trying out a Tungsten C>
>
> Is there a way to keep the wifi alive when the screen shuts off? We want
> it to let us know if email arrives, but when the screen shuts off the
> wifi goes down as well.
>
> Steve

It comes with VersaMail which you can set up to check your email accounts
at defined intervals (regardless of screen state).

--
remove pam etc
Anonymous

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:52:17 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Antoni_Ten_Monr=F3s?=
<kuroshima@gempukku.com> wrote:

>Have you tried one of those pendrive/Wifi adapter combos that plug into
>the USB?

WRONG. No PDA has a USB controller; so even if you cabled them together,
they would not work.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:17:11 -0700, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:

>Besides PDA options, small, used mini-notebooks such as the Libretto
>100/110 with a free (or cheap <$10) Wifi Card will let you run all
>Windows software and go portable in a 2lbs package for about $200-400.
>Bigger screen lets you surf with ease vs. the PDAs.
>
>http://www.silverace.com/libretto/
>buy off www.ebay.com

Did the same with a Fujitsu Livebook 1100. 2.2 lbs, slow but great battery
life.

>If you sub. the T-Mobile Wireless Internet service ($29.99/month
>unlimited) and use a cheap card (Merlin G100 GPRS PCMICA card <$80 on
>www.ebay.com or $99 at TMobile.com), you can then go anywhere in the USA
>where you have cell phone coverage and go online.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.
July 20, 2004 1:42:48 AM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:53:19 +0000, yeltrabnhoj wrote:
> WRONG. No PDA has a USB controller; so even if you cabled them together,
> they would not work.

The Zaurus SL-6000 has USB host.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 2:20:01 AM

yeltrabnhoj@email.com wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:52:17 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Antoni_Ten_Monr=F3s?=
> <kuroshima@gempukku.com> wrote:
>

>>Have you tried one of those pendrive/Wifi adapter combos that plug into
>>the USB?
>

> WRONG. No PDA has a USB controller; so even if you cabled them together,
> they would not work.

No, not for the PDA, for the laptop! ir will be cheaper than a PDA,
given that the OP was complaining that he could not get PCMCIA cards
with wifi for his laptop due to the laptop's old hardware
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 5:53:02 AM

On 2004-07-19, Nemo <nemo@nowhere.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:53:19 +0000, yeltrabnhoj wrote:
>> WRONG. No PDA has a USB controller; so even if you cabled them together,
>> they would not work.
>
> The Zaurus SL-6000 has USB host.

It has built-in WiFi, too, so it wouldn't NEED USB for this
application, but it isn't available in stores or to individuals
anyway, according to reviews I've read.

Also, at $600 it probably isn't considered "cheap".
--
Carl Fink carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:53:02 +0000, Carl Fink wrote:
>> The Zaurus SL-6000 has USB host.
>
> It has built-in WiFi, too, so it wouldn't NEED USB for this
> application, but it isn't available in stores or to individuals
> anyway, according to reviews I've read.

It's available on Amazon.com to anyone.

> Also, at $600 it probably isn't considered "cheap".

Let's see: 640x480 screen, built in WiFi, USB host - ya, that's about $600
in the market place today. It may not be cheap, but it's a good value if
you need all that.
!