Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia GTX 680 SLI crashes

Last response: in Windows 7
July 18, 2012 9:05:15 PM

I have a brand new Alienware R4 with dual GTX 680 SLI. my computer often crashes when either trying to load a game or, when trying to run the windows experience index test.

I read one post somewhere who said their problem was fixed when he/she reduced the windows color setting to 16bit. Well.. that worked for me last night but, this afternoon it has already crashed on me 2 twice. Once all on it's own, the second time when I tried to play Lord of the Rings Online.

I'm REALLY unhappy after spending this much money on a system.. please say that there is a solution or that NVIDIA has a fix comming SOON?!!?

Windows 7 64bit
July 18, 2012 9:20:49 PM

crmacdon said:
I have a brand new Alienware R4 with dual GTX 680 SLI. my computer often crashes when either trying to load a game or, when trying to run the windows experience index test.

I read one post somewhere who said their problem was fixed when he/she reduced the windows color setting to 16bit. Well.. that worked for me last night but, this afternoon it has already crashed on me 2 twice. Once all on it's own, the second time when I tried to play Lord of the Rings Online.

I'm REALLY unhappy after spending this much money on a system.. please say that there is a solution or that NVIDIA has a fix comming SOON?!!?

Windows 7 64bit

I really would not waist time here my friend, you payed alot of money and for that you expect nothing but the best, so dont even try and solve this your self, simply return ASAP, or get a Dell engineer to come out and sort the issue for you, after all it must still be under warranty.
m
l
July 18, 2012 9:27:59 PM

If it's a new system just contact Dell cutomser support for a warranty repair/replacement.

Unless you already got a virus(unlikely), it's definitely a bad system.
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2012 11:53:32 PM

A bit of an update..:

I turned off the SLI using NVIDIA Control Panel and BAM! No more crashes, no more issues. This leads me to believe that it is not a hardware issue, but instead a windows/NVIDIA driver issue. Also, I have had no issues running Ghost Recon Future Soldier in SLI mode so... that all said... I still pose the question to the folks out there:

What gives!?! Someone out there far smarter than I knows what's causing this Windows Experience Index and LOTR Online issue when the SLI is enabled.

m
l
December 3, 2012 6:08:59 PM

crmacdon said:
A bit of an update..:

I turned off the SLI using NVIDIA Control Panel and BAM! No more crashes, no more issues. This leads me to believe that it is not a hardware issue, but instead a windows/NVIDIA driver issue. Also, I have had no issues running Ghost Recon Future Soldier in SLI mode so... that all said... I still pose the question to the folks out there:

What gives!?! Someone out there far smarter than I knows what's causing this Windows Experience Index and LOTR Online issue when the SLI is enabled.

I feel your pain. when I have SLI on and I play a demanding game on the GPU's my screen locks up and I can tell my SLI just does because my frames do almost half what they were before the sudden halt for 5 seconds then resuming without crashing the game. which is nice. but I cant play planetside 2 at all unless i want to play at 15FPS. Stupid SLI. Never ever ever go SLI.
I had problems with mine from day one. SO many games DO NOT support SLI even though they say they do.
m
l
December 9, 2012 11:26:40 PM

I contacted DELL and, after a tad bit of a struggle, they swapped out the 680s for ATIs. The system works great with them. Only bad thing is, I was told that, as the ATIs were $200 cheaper, they would provide me with another 8gb of 2133mhz ram,, that was 4 months ago.. I've yet to receive the ram.
m
l
!