What's a good everyday printer?

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I've been using a HP 722c for about seven years. It has been quite slow but very reliable - until now. It is dead, and I would like to replace it. I have a Canon i950 and an Alps MD5000p (thermal dye) for digital and graphic design work; so, I'm not looking for a high print quality replacement. I just need a fast, reliable, and cost effective everyday color printer. Most reviews I see focus on photo-quality printers. Any suggestions?

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

RichPLS

Champion
I have had good experience with HP printers. Quite a few around $100 should work for you.
Need to look at ink usage and cartridge costs on whichever model you pick.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I have found that the HP deskjets in the 800 or 900 series range are very fast and fairly cost effective. I don't think hp makes any of those anymore unfortunatly.
The most comparable new HP printer would have to be the deskjet 6122. It is a very nice general purpose printer but I don't know how much the ink is so I don't know if it is cost effective.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

darcotech

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004
Hi, Canon,and especialy new Pixma I4000 is THE BEST printer you can buy for everyday. In printing quality its better than HP and what is much more importants : ink costs , sometimes almost 3 times cheaper. So, definitely go for Canon. I went from HP 940c to Pixma 4000 and I am more than satisfied. And what they forgot to say in Tomshardware printer test is that you can print directly to CD/DVDs. Now that's huge.Try to go to somebody that already does have this one. And if you have money go for wireless version(4000IR) I mean ,the only bad point about this printer is that it doesnt have memory card slots, so if you can live without.
OK,here goes my 2 cents.

PS: I don work for Canon or associate in any way.

twofromjiangsu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
FYI - the U.S. versions of the Pixma printers do not offer CD/DVD printing. This feature is disabled. According to Canon, this is due to patent-related costs.

Beverly
Very satisfied Pixma 5000 owner