SATA RAID Queries

1. Can you use a single large HDD to mirror the contents of 2 (or more) smaller striped HDDs, or do you have to use the same number of drives in the mirror array as in the striped array?

If a single drive CAN be used to mirror several smaller striped drives, then...

2. Would it make sense to run 3 36GB WD Raptor 10k SATA drives in a RAID 0 config, and use a single 120GB 7200rpm SATA drive to mirror them? Since the SATA bus allows max 150MB/Sec, would it make sense to use THREE Raptors, or would the drives need more bandwidth than the controller offers?

I ask because I presently have 2 36GB Raptors in a RAID 0 config on my Promise FastTrak S150 TX4, and I would like to add a single drive for mirroring if possible. If this is possible, I was contemplating adding a third Raptor to the RAID 0 array.

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about sata raid queries
  1. i'm no raid expert, but a striping and mirroring combination is not possible with just three drives (sadly enough) on a hardware raid controller. you have a good idea in making a backup/mirror of a raid 0 configuration, though, due to their lack of any data protection. The fastest, most secure form of RAID you can run on the controller you have is raid 0+1. Which has almost the performance of your current raid 0 config, but has the protection of a raid 1 config. to utilize this, you need four drives though, which will be pricy with raptors.

Reading material: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=61149#61149
  2. 1. No, not possible.

2. Hmmm... I think running 3 drives in RAID 0 is possible, atleast my HPT370 RAID-controller suypport RAID 0 arrays of 2-4 HDs.

Anyway your 150 MB/s SATA bus is already limited to 133 MB/s by the PCI bus it is connected too.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:
  3. I think a 3 Raptor RAID would only be marginally faster, but that's just a guess. Plus that's too risky for me. And loud. And hot.

If I were you, I would just copy the files you want backed up to the 120GB and use it as a scratch disk. Or you could use one of the various disk utilities to back up the whole array periodically.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Mirror SATA Storage