POD- "send/return" monitoring

Last response: in Home Audio
July 20, 2005 12:17:39 PM

Hi all-
I am confused as to how to achieve the following:

1- Record a direct, unprocessed guitar track while monitoring the
"effect" of the POD. Confused on how to make all the connections and
then monitor only the POD-processed signal, etc.

2- Later (i.e. at mix time), take the direct gtr track out of Sonar and
"re-amp" it through the POD, printing the POD-processing of my choice
to a new Sonar track.

Here's my set up:
M-Audio FW 410 (2 analog ins, 8 analog outs) into Sonar-based DAW

(FYI- to potentially confuse things, I also have a Roland 1880 that I
have going S/PDIF to input of FW-410, so I can use it as a 'mixer' as
well)

Any help (as always) is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
__________________
LSM
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:55:53 PM

lmiller1220@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all-
> I am confused as to how to achieve the following:
>
> 1- Record a direct, unprocessed guitar track while monitoring the
> "effect" of the POD. Confused on how to make all the connections and
> then monitor only the POD-processed signal, etc.

1.Recording your guitar directly to your sequencer on an audio track.
2.Send your effect from the pod to an aux track (monitor effect here).
3.Buss your direct guitar audio track to the aux.
4.Mix.

This will allow you to mix as much effect as you want and your not
committed.

> 2- Later (i.e. at mix time), take the direct gtr track out of Sonar and
> "re-amp" it through the POD, printing the POD-processing of my choice
> to a new Sonar track.

This will allow you to mix as much effect as you want and your not
committed. You shouldn't have to re-amp or re-record. Changeing the
effect will on the Pod will change the effect on the aux track.

> Here's my set up:
> M-Audio FW 410 (2 analog ins, 8 analog outs) into Sonar-based DAW
>
> (FYI- to potentially confuse things, I also have a Roland 1880 that I
> have going S/PDIF to input of FW-410, so I can use it as a 'mixer' as
> well)
>

> Any help (as always) is greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
I hope this helps, I haven't used Sonar before, I am assuming that it
can do everything I listed.
> __________________
> LSM
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:44:24 PM

Thanks! I think I get the gist of it, but if you'll humor me and make
sure I understand the physical connections side of what you describe,
that would be great! My notes/questions are in parenthesese after each
step you listed.

1.Record your guitar directly to your sequencer on an audio track.
(Got that part AOK- no brainer, even for me!)

2.Send your effect from the pod to an aux track (monitor effect here).
3.Buss your direct guitar audio track to the aux.

(These steps are where I am still unsure about the physical
connections. If I understand you correctly, I would plug physical
Output from POD into Input of M-Audio FW410 and route that input to an
M-Audio Aux track? Do I then take the direct guitar track software
output from Sonar back into the M-Audio and route to a physical output
and plug into the POD input? Am I overcomplicating this?)

4.Mix.

Thanks again- sorry if I am not getting it yet! :-)
LM

mbuelow001@yahoo.com wrote:
> lmiller1220@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all-
> > I am confused as to how to achieve the following:
> >
> > 1- Record a direct, unprocessed guitar track while monitoring the
> > "effect" of the POD. Confused on how to make all the connections and
> > then monitor only the POD-processed signal, etc.
>
> 1.Recording your guitar directly to your sequencer on an audio track.
> 2.Send your effect from the pod to an aux track (monitor effect here).
> 3.Buss your direct guitar audio track to the aux.
> 4.Mix.
>
> This will allow you to mix as much effect as you want and your not
> committed.
> >
> > 2- Later (i.e. at mix time), take the direct gtr track out of Sonar and
> > "re-amp" it through the POD, printing the POD-processing of my choice
> > to a new Sonar track.
>
> This will allow you to mix as much effect as you want and your not
> committed. You shouldn't have to re-amp or re-record. Changeing the
> effect will on the Pod will change the effect on the aux track.
> >
> > Here's my set up:
> > M-Audio FW 410 (2 analog ins, 8 analog outs) into Sonar-based DAW
> >
> > (FYI- to potentially confuse things, I also have a Roland 1880 that I
> > have going S/PDIF to input of FW-410, so I can use it as a 'mixer' as
> > well)
> >

> > Any help (as always) is greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks!
> I hope this helps, I haven't used Sonar before, I am assuming that it
> can do everything I listed.
> > __________________
> > LSM
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:42:55 PM

lmiller1220@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks! I think I get the gist of it, but if you'll humor me and make
> sure I understand the physical connections side of what you describe,
> that would be great! My notes/questions are in parenthesese after each
> step you listed.
>
> 1.Record your guitar directly to your sequencer on an audio track.
> (Got that part AOK- no brainer, even for me!)
>
> 2.Send your effect from the pod to an aux track (monitor effect here).
> 3.Buss your direct guitar audio track to the aux.
>
> (These steps are where I am still unsure about the physical
> connections. If I understand you correctly, I would plug physical
> Output from POD into Input of M-Audio FW410 and route that input to an
> M-Audio Aux track? Do I then take the direct guitar track software
> output from Sonar back into the M-Audio and route to a physical output
> and plug into the POD input? No, that will cause a loop and your speakers will get mad and scream at you.

Sounds like your close, here's the step by step:

1. Setup an audio track for the guitar, (go direct from your guitar to
the FW410 and put on record mode so you can hear it.)
2. The output of your Pod goes to an input of the FW410.
3. Assign that input to be an aux track.
4. Assign the output of your dry guitar track to go to the input of the
aux track. (not a physical connection, digitally assign in sequecer.)
5. You should be good to go here.

> 4.Mix.

To help your mix you will want the output of the Pod as hot as you can
get it before it distorts the input of your sequencer. Then use the
aux fader as a dry/wet mix. The higher the aux fader the more "effect"
you'll have and visa versa.

Boy I hope this helps you, I've been out of the game for a while now
and I'm just getting my feet wet again. Let me know if this works for
you.

> Thanks again- sorry if I am not getting it yet! :-)

No problem, good luck to you.
> LM
>
> mbuelow001@yahoo.com wrote:
> > lmiller1220@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hi all-
> > > I am confused as to how to achieve the following:
> > >
> > > 1- Record a direct, unprocessed guitar track while monitoring the
> > > "effect" of the POD. Confused on how to make all the connections and
> > > then monitor only the POD-processed signal, etc.
> >
> > 1.Recording your guitar directly to your sequencer on an audio track.
> > 2.Send your effect from the pod to an aux track (monitor effect here).
> > 3.Buss your direct guitar audio track to the aux.
> > 4.Mix.
> >
> > This will allow you to mix as much effect as you want and your not
> > committed.
> > >
> > > 2- Later (i.e. at mix time), take the direct gtr track out of Sonar and
> > > "re-amp" it through the POD, printing the POD-processing of my choice
> > > to a new Sonar track.
> >
> > This will allow you to mix as much effect as you want and your not
> > committed. You shouldn't have to re-amp or re-record. Changeing the
> > effect will on the Pod will change the effect on the aux track.
> > >
> > > Here's my set up:
> > > M-Audio FW 410 (2 analog ins, 8 analog outs) into Sonar-based DAW
> > >
> > > (FYI- to potentially confuse things, I also have a Roland 1880 that I
> > > have going S/PDIF to input of FW-410, so I can use it as a 'mixer' as
> > > well)
> > >

> > > Any help (as always) is greatly appreciated!
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > I hope this helps, I haven't used Sonar before, I am assuming that it
> > can do everything I listed.
> > > __________________
> > > LSM
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:11:21 PM

Thanks for the additional info- I will try this tonight, but my brain
cannot get around the fact that nothing ever physically plugs into the
input of the POD-- how does it know there is signal to process? Maybe
I am overthinking this bad boy! I'll holler back tomorrow morning once
I give your steps a try. Thanks so much again for your time and help!

mbuelow001@yahoo.com wrote:
> lmiller1220@gmail.com wrote:
> > Thanks! I think I get the gist of it, but if you'll humor me and make
> > sure I understand the physical connections side of what you describe,
> > that would be great! My notes/questions are in parenthesese after each
> > step you listed.
> >
> > 1.Record your guitar directly to your sequencer on an audio track.
> > (Got that part AOK- no brainer, even for me!)
> >
> > 2.Send your effect from the pod to an aux track (monitor effect here).
> > 3.Buss your direct guitar audio track to the aux.
> >
> > (These steps are where I am still unsure about the physical
> > connections. If I understand you correctly, I would plug physical
> > Output from POD into Input of M-Audio FW410 and route that input to an
> > M-Audio Aux track? Do I then take the direct guitar track software
> > output from Sonar back into the M-Audio and route to a physical output
> > and plug into the POD input? No, that will cause a loop and your speakers will get mad and scream at you.
>
> Sounds like your close, here's the step by step:
>
> 1. Setup an audio track for the guitar, (go direct from your guitar to
> the FW410 and put on record mode so you can hear it.)
> 2. The output of your Pod goes to an input of the FW410.
> 3. Assign that input to be an aux track.
> 4. Assign the output of your dry guitar track to go to the input of the
> aux track. (not a physical connection, digitally assign in sequecer.)
> 5. You should be good to go here.
>

> > 4.Mix.
>
> To help your mix you will want the output of the Pod as hot as you can
> get it before it distorts the input of your sequencer. Then use the
> aux fader as a dry/wet mix. The higher the aux fader the more "effect"
> you'll have and visa versa.
>
> Boy I hope this helps you, I've been out of the game for a while now
> and I'm just getting my feet wet again. Let me know if this works for
> you.
> >

> > Thanks again- sorry if I am not getting it yet! :-)
>
> No problem, good luck to you.
> > LM
> >
> > mbuelow001@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > 1.Recording your guitar directly to your sequencer on an audio track.
> > > 2.Send your effect from the pod to an aux track (monitor effect here).
> > > 3.Buss your direct guitar audio track to the aux.
> > > 4.Mix.
> > >
> > > This will allow you to mix as much effect as you want and your not
> > > committed.

> > > This will allow you to mix as much effect as you want and your not
> > > committed. You shouldn't have to re-amp or re-record. Changeing the
> > > effect will on the Pod will change the effect on the aux track.

> > > I hope this helps, I haven't used Sonar before, I am assuming that it
> > > can do everything I listed.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:09:44 PM

In article <1121872659.346315.213200@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> lmiller1220@gmail.com writes:

> I am confused as to how to achieve the following:
>
> 1- Record a direct, unprocessed guitar track while monitoring the
> "effect" of the POD. Confused on how to make all the connections and
> then monitor only the POD-processed signal, etc.
>
> 2- Later (i.e. at mix time), take the direct gtr track out of Sonar and
> "re-amp" it through the POD, printing the POD-processing of my choice
> to a new Sonar track.
>
> Here's my set up:
> M-Audio FW 410 (2 analog ins, 8 analog outs) into Sonar-based DAW

You need a console. Accept no substitutes. Fifty bucks to Mr. Behringer
(or a few hundred to Mr. Mackie's former company) will make your life
easier and you'll probably even be able to figure out the routing all
by yourself.

July 21, 2005 10:01:30 AM

lmiller1220@gmail.com wrote:
> my brain
> cannot get around the fact that nothing ever physically plugs into the
> input of the POD-- how does it know there is signal to process?

The idea here is to have the effect from the pod sitting on your aux
channel in sonar. Once you buss an audio track to the aux track you
have made a connection, though not physical and not to the input of the
pod. Anyway this allows you to send multiple audio tracks to the
reverb or whatever it is you have on the aux channel. From there you
can mix the 2 signals together and monitor them seperatly.
!