Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 - Real Upgrade Uncertainty

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
July 19, 2012 1:11:15 AM

Quick and Short

I have a store bought PC that was installed with Windows Vista. Big problems left me to plan " starting the machine from new " since I didn't have anything really important on the HDD I wanted to start fresh and I just backed-up my Steam games onto my USB Drive. I had an external hard drive supposedly backed-up with all the information. So the internal HDD is still in there. The reason why for the start from scratch is because Windows had a bunch of errors that didn't allow me to do much.

It is Windows Home Premium 7. The Full version not the upgrade as some of you might of thought.

So in my head im thinking what would the best way/ normal and safe way to start of fresh is. I thought obviously wipe everything out with a complete system restore to the beginning. But then my dad mentioned about System Mechanic's Scrubber which completely wipes out the whole drive selected. So it ended up in a argument about not having a scrubber bootable CD since it only was able to use cd's and floppys which I didn't have. So he said screw it and decided to install Windows 7 on top on the Windows Vista, which in his head thinks that its going to eliminate everything in the HDD and start off new with W7. Which I think is crazy because how is all that information going to be deleted which Is what I want a fresh start. So im asking is this safe? and also the right way to do it, because I have common sense shooting down my dads thoughts process.

I hope it isn't damaging anything. But anyway I'd like to ask if what should've we done first? Started off with the complete system restore or gone with the scrubber incinerator process because now he didn't have System Mechanic & our Norton backed-up and im pretty sure they would've asked if we wanted to back up System Mechanic. But anyway thanks for your time an and additional info that could help me initiate another starting point to do some research towards.
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 1:21:51 AM

when you instal an OS ontop of another OS, the old windows folder gets located on your HDD and a folder next to it will be called Windows.old signifying its the old files of your previous windows on the drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 1:23:52 AM

Pretty much either way will work. Your dads idea will work perfect and be the fastest.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 1:27:30 AM

dudewitbow said:
when you instal an OS ontop of another OS, the old windows folder gets located on your HDD and a folder next to it will be called Windows.old signifying its the old files of your previous windows on the drive.

Correct if you do a upgrade install, false if you choose custom advanced install, I recommend custom advanced install.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 1:32:44 AM

daship said:
Correct if you do a upgrade install, false if you choose custom advanced install, I recommend custom advanced install.

I do believe it is also created when you do a custom installation as well, Source 1 Source 2
m
l
July 19, 2012 2:00:16 AM

dudewitbow said:

So technically all the amount of space that was used in my HDD, is still the same amount of volume in my HDD as if now. Will problems from the old system occur in this system, if so I could delete all the files and windows right? I probably could use the system Mechanic incinerator to do so, if it's considered a drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 2:02:23 AM

Do a custom advanced install, delete old partitions and format it or just delete and install as the install will format on its own.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2012 2:02:36 AM

hconduc said:
So technically all the amount of space that was used in my HDD, is still the same amount of volume in my HDD as if now. Will problems from the old system occur in this system, if so I could delete all the files and windows right? I probably could use the system Mechanic incinerator to do so, if it's considered a drive.

the new windows OS should create an additional windows folder separate from the ols one, so the old one will have no effect on the new one(unless you had some kind of virus or something). if you wish to not have the windows.old folder, it is deletable which the 2nd source of my above post shows.
July 19, 2012 2:18:32 AM

dudewitbow said:
the new windows OS should create an additional windows folder separate from the ols one, so the old one will have no effect on the new one(unless you had some kind of virus or something). if you wish to not have the windows.old folder, it is deletable which the 2nd source of my above post shows.

Thanks for that will read about it, and my dad did do a custom advanced installation, I wasn't there when it was finished so im not sure how custom it got ha.
m
l
July 19, 2012 3:24:54 AM

Best answer selected by hconduc.
m
l
July 19, 2012 6:17:26 PM

One Question since everything is from the beginning I have 60 important updates, should I install them one by one until theyre all finished then restart or should I just install them all at once and then restart. It seems like alot of updates, and it just seems to me as if it could go wrong with some updates as in the update unable to download/failure attempt
m
l
!