DO I HAVE ENOUGHT POWER?

syankey

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
I'm trying to build my first computer. I've got the case, powersupply, fans, P4 800 fsb Gigabyte mobo, P4 2.8 mhz/800 fsb, a maxtor 40 gig 7200 rmp hard drive, 512 Kingston Ram, CD rom, and ATI 9700 All in One Wonder. My question deals with powers supply. As I've read on this post the newer faster componets require more power. I've trying to get the newest fastest componenets withing reasonable prices. I thought I was doing the right thing my ordering my Case with a Antec 380 True Power Supply. I have a promblem with my computer restarting itself for no reason, especially during gameplay. I can usually get a game running for about 1 minute and my computer either freezes or re-boots itself. From what I've read on these boards regarding ATI 9700 cards and power supplys I'm wonding if I'm not getting enought power? So I tryed installing an older GEFORCE II card to see if the ATI card was the problem. I was able to play Day of Defeat for about 3 minutes this time before my system reboots itself. I've looked on the power supply I have and even though its called Antec 380 True power a sticker on the PS says 360w Max output. So if what I'm reading on these boards it true that a PS only buts out maybe 60-70% of its max that would put me at about 216-252 average wattage. Based on what I've read that doen't seem to be enought even for my system not having any additional DVD drives or additionl cards. Anybody have any suggestions. Should I go with a bigger power supply or keep searching for another problem. My computer runs great except when it reboots itself. I'm thinking if I get a new PS to get the biggest and best I can get. Any suggestions on that. Any help would be appreciated. I'm dying to get this baby running smooth.

svol

Champion
That Antec 380W is enough... when someone recommends a 350W PSU they mean 350W max power not continious.

It could be a driver problem or overheating... especially if you run Win2k/XP and have it set to reboot when it crashes.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

syankey

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
I tryed reformatting and installing windows XP again. This time I didn't load it full of drivers. I only installed the chipset drivers that came with my mobo. I then installed half-life and Day of Defeat and strarted testing the game playing online. This time it was good for about 10 minutes then instead of shutting down completely it just shut the game down. When I tryed to open internet explorer I got an error right away and it shut explorer down. So I rebooted my computer and started it all over again. I was in the middle of playing Day of defeat (about 5 minutes into the game) and my computer shut itself down and at the same time it blew a fuse. I live in an older apt building which sometimes a fuse will trip in the kitchen when the refrigerator kicks onto defrost at the same time the microwave is running. Not all the time but sometimes. I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough power from my wall socket? Would a UPS help? I'm currently just using a standard surge protector. Or does anyone think I've got a conflict somewhere thats causing the problem. When I reformat and install windows I got a blue screen error that said "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL" or something very similar to that. I've checked the IRQ screen everything seems to have and IRQ number, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for as far as that goes. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Did you flash to your latest bios?

Did you test your memory <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com/" target="_new">memtest86</A>

If you have two sticks of memory did you try running with just one, and if fail switch to other stick?
Maybe one is defective, maybe they can't work dual channel, maybe u have to relax the timings.

The loving are the daring!

syankey

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
I'll definalty try memtest tonight. Didn't the fuse blowing concern you over the power coming from my wall socket? I have flashed my bios and it is up to date as of last week. I have 1 stick of 512 ram right now. I will test it tonight. I'm also going to try taking this computer to another place to see if it is a power problem in my building.

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Maybe you don't have very clean power. You could try a battery UPS backup. They have power conditioners in them as well. You can get good one for about $100. They are worth it for sure, especially if your power goes out from time to time.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Actually, I think I'd be scared spitless. I would already have that UPS with power conditioning in place.

The loving are the daring!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
U.S. postal service all the way!

Screw UPS they made our stamps expensive :frown:

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Piii_MAN on 08/07/03 08:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

syankey

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
Problem solved. I ran memtest on my memory and came up with bunch of errors. I posted those results on in the memory forum and someone suggested upping my DIMM voltage by .1. That did the trick. My PC now runs great. Passed the memory test with flying colors. Thanks to all who offered any questions.