R.I.P. James Doohan

Last response: in Home Audio
July 20, 2005 6:23:42 PM

We'll miss you, Scotty
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1701993,00.h...;

More about : james doohan

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:28:54 AM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:23:42 -0700, Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net>
wrote:

>We'll miss you, Scotty
><http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1701993,00.h...;

They beamed him up. "All engineers are Scots, and all
Scots are engineers." -Scotty

Chris Hornbeck
"Ain't nobody's dirty bidness, how my baby treat me,
Nobody's bidness but mine." - John Hurt
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:28:55 AM

Several years ago he walked past me at the Kirkland Costco, as I was
discussing something at the customer service center.

"Is that who I think it is?"

"Yeah, it is." And he continued on his way.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:00:54 AM

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message...

> We'll miss you, Scotty

Indeed....
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:55:19 AM

Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in news:3k7t9kFt50n3U2@individual.net:

> We'll miss you, Scotty
> <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1701993,00.h...;

This fine gentleman was 84 years old.

I remember seeing episode 1 of TOS on our very first color TV.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 7:25:17 AM

Carey Carlan wrote:

> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in news:3k7t9kFt50n3U2@individual.net:
>
> > We'll miss you, Scotty
> > <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1701993,00.h...;
>
> This fine gentleman was 84 years old.
>
> I remember seeing episode 1 of TOS on our very first color TV.

ONe of the great actors. I never knew until I read the obit
today that he was a D-day veteran, and had lost a finger in combat.

--Dale
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 7:58:59 AM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:58:27 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
<williams@nwlink.com> wrote:

>Several years ago he walked past me at the Kirkland Costco, as I was
>discussing something at the customer service center.
>
>"Is that who I think it is?"
>
>"Yeah, it is." And he continued on his way.

Very cool, and very appropriate. Thanks,

ps: Folks of our generation have lots of poor models
for being male (whatever that means), including
Captain Kirk, so the shining examples like
Mister Scott really stand out. Times are better
now because these earlier guys layed some
better groundwork.

Chris Hornbeck
"All engineers are Scots, and all Scots are engineers."
-Scotty
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:20:42 AM

> One of the great actors. I never knew until I read the obit
> today that he was a D-day veteran, and had lost a finger in combat.

Somebody must have put it back, because I never noticed it missing.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:40:18 AM

I've always loved how proud Scotty was of his heritage, and was not shy
about showing his pride.

James Doohan was one of the main reasons why I love the original Star
Trek so much. Truly class acts like his are in short supply indeed.
He will be sorely missed.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:18:01 PM

tymish@hotmail.com wrote:
> I think he's half the reason I got into engineering.

The NPR piece yesterday quoted Neil Armstrong as saying essentially the
same thing at a recent fundraiser.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:44:47 PM

wrote:

>We'll miss you, Scotty
><http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1701993,00.h...;

I'll remember him as well as the Star Trek, being a part of my
memories from long ago.

RIP

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:03:30 PM

"William Sommerwerck" <williams@nwlink.com> wrote in message
>> One of the great actors. I never knew until I read the obit
>> today that he was a D-day veteran, and had lost a finger in combat.
>
> Somebody must have put it back, because I never noticed it missing.

In the movie "Trekkies" it says he lost it in a gardening accident.
July 21, 2005 5:03:50 PM

I had no idea he was Canadian. And better yet, a Canadian Vet! You have to
be proud of the vets who fought for our freedom overseas, no matter what
side of the border you're on!

John

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> We'll miss you, Scotty
> <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1701993,00.h...;
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:03:51 PM

John <jonnyaudioNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
>I had no idea he was Canadian. And better yet, a Canadian Vet! You have to
>be proud of the vets who fought for our freedom overseas, no matter what
>side of the border you're on!

He was on the CBC staff for many years before making it big on American
TV.

Somewhere around here I have a CBC radio play in which he plays a Swedish
theatre owner. "To-DAY I am WUR-king the LIGHT-ing bOArd."

He did all kinds of character and dialect voices in CBC plays, and he
even sang occasionally.
--scott

July 21, 2005 10:24:21 PM

"Chris Hornbeck"

>>We'll miss you, Scotty
>><http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1701993,00.h...;
>
> They beamed him up. "All engineers are Scots, and all
> Scots are engineers." -Scotty

** Maybe now, when folk in some degree of distress, ironically ask Scotty
to " beam me up " - they have a bit more hope it will happen.

One thing is certain - he will be long remembered.

.......... Phil
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:59:39 AM

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> We'll miss you, Scotty
> <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1701993,00.h...;

Y'know, that character is about as recognizable a figure
as has ever been. A Scotty line will probably be recognized by
almost anybody from the planet.

That's an amazing thing.

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

Ricky Hunt wrote:

> "William Sommerwerck" <williams@nwlink.com> wrote in message
>
>>>One of the great actors. I never knew until I read the obit
>>>today that he was a D-day veteran, and had lost a finger in combat.
>>
>>Somebody must have put it back, because I never noticed it missing.
>>

> In the movie "Trekkies" it says he lost it in a gardening accident.

Maybe Market Gardening.

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> tymish@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> I think he's half the reason I got into engineering.
>

> The NPR piece yesterday quoted Neil Armstrong as saying essentially the
> same thing at a recent fundraiser.

Neil Armstrong was on the moon in '69 ( OR WAS HE!?!), so it's
remarkable how quickly that took effect.

Trek started in '67.

I'm sure Mr. Armstrong was saying many people were so
influenced, but it seems funny, nonetheless.

Doohan was the best movie-submarine-engineer, ever.

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

"Les Cargill" <lNOcargill@cfl.Arr.com> wrote in message news:gpZDe.12003$t43.1589@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Kurt Albershardt wrote:
>
> > tymish@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> I think he's half the reason I got into engineering.
> >

> > The NPR piece yesterday quoted Neil Armstrong as saying essentially the
> > same thing at a recent fundraiser.
>
> Neil Armstrong was on the moon in '69 ( OR WAS HE!?!), so it's
> remarkable how quickly that took effect.
>
> Trek started in '67.
>
> I'm sure Mr. Armstrong was saying many people were so
> influenced, but it seems funny, nonetheless.

J. F. Kennedy's call for a man on the moon came on May 25, 1961.
Both dates were remarkable achievements.

> Doohan was the best movie-submarine-engineer, ever.

I can hear the botswains whistle now.... ;-)
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:50:50 AM

> Y'know, that character is about as recognizable a figure
> as has ever been.

Not quite. Not Superman, Mickey Mouse, or Sherlock Holmes.

> A Scotty line will probably be recognized by
> almost anybody from the planet.

"Ah kinna change the laws o' physics!"

No, but the writers could. And did.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:59:03 AM

William Sommerwerck wrote:

> > One of the great actors. I never knew until I read the obit
> > today that he was a D-day veteran, and had lost a finger in combat.
>
> Somebody must have put it back, because I never noticed it missing.

He was very adept at keeping it out of sight. Tucking his hands
behind his back, balling his hand, etc. The only time it was seen on
the screen during the series was in Trouble with Tribbles, when he
walks in with an armload of tribbles. They also had a stunt hand that
was used sometimes.

--Dale
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:59:04 AM

> He was very adept at keeping it out of sight. Tucking his hands
> behind his back, balling his hand, etc. The only time it was seen on
> the screen during the series was in Trouble with Tribbles, when he
> walks in with an armload of tribbles. They also had a stunt hand that
> was used sometimes.

No doubt he and Martin Balsam are now trading stories.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:10:27 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:20:42 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
<williams@nwlink.com> wrote:

>> One of the great actors. I never knew until I read the obit
>> today that he was a D-day veteran, and had lost a finger in combat.
>
>Somebody must have put it back, because I never noticed it missing.

I was involved in another discussion about this...

First, he was shot 6 times during D-Day.... six. With real bullets.
Damn.

And he lost a finger. Most of the time, it was careful camera work
and hand placement to keep it hidden. From what came out of the
discussion, a couple of guys do remember one or two episodes where you
get a quick glimpse of the hand with only 4 fingers.

A real hero. A fine actor, and from what I can tell, a real
gentleman.

He will be missed.

Paul
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:28:41 AM

Les Cargill wrote:

> Kurt Albershardt wrote:
>
>> We'll miss you, Scotty
>> <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1701993,00.h...;
>

> Y'know, that character is about as recognizable a figure
> as has ever been. A Scotty line will probably be recognized by
> almost anybody from the planet.
>
> That's an amazing thing.

I'm on a wide variety of newsgroups and web forums... there's not a one
that hasn't had at least one "RIP Scotty" thread.

Another tribute the the width and breadth of his influence.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-2, 07/21/2005
Tested on: 7/24/2005 9:28:27 PM
July 25, 2005 8:28:42 AM

A kinda odd thing: He died at 85 from Pneumonia and Alzheimer's and had
a 5 year old child.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island