HD Power Short

AlSun

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
I have a WD Caviar 205AA drive, that was the main drive for a secondary computer. Last night, the computer stopped working and after some testing I found out that the drive is short circuiting the power when it's connected. Luckily it didn't damage anything else, but now I can't plug in the HD anymore, and there is information on it that I want. Does anyone know a way to get at the data? Perhaps the power connector of the hard drive can be replaced? Would it make sense for me to go to a repair shop or is the data lost? Thanks for replies!

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
that stinks -- those recovery companies charge an arm and a leg to recover data. It could cost 100's to 1000's of dollars. I guess you could try opening it up to see if there is a unshielded wire or something causing a short.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Yea I doubt a repair shop will have any clue how to fix the drive...you could possibly see if western digital would fix it if you have any warranty on the drive...im not sure of the drives age...if I were you I would email western digital and if they wont provide any assistance then try to fix it..

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If the card on the bottom of the drive is shorted, you could try replacing it with another card from the same model drive (sometimes it works with a different model from the same series also).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>