win xp installation looping to setup

G

Hi all. I have just put together my first build. I am having problems installing win xp. It just keeps looping to the etup screen where you selet where to install windows. I have tried changing the BIOS settings, taking out the cd on restart. But i just keeps asking for the cd and going back to the set up. Anyone have any ideas why? Here is my setup:

MSI K7N 420
xp 1800
on board lan, video and sound
micron 512mb pc2100
pioneer 16x dvd
lite-on 32x12x40 cdrw
80gb western digital hard drive
antec 350w case

G

Have you formatted the HD? If not then do so and try again. If you have, then I need to know if it simply restarts on its own or if it halts and you reset it. If it halts on it own is it prompting you for a specific file?

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
You need to be more descriptive for anyone to help.

I'm not sure it is disk format issue as the setup should direct prompt you to format the disk. Hopefully, you understand the directions from the setup. In case you don't, create a partition then format it. When the disk is formatted, the space should read something like "NTFS partition" or "FAT 32 parition" (pick NTFS BTW). If you it reads "unpartitioned space", you need to follow the instructions to format it. Make sure you hit the keys as directed. If you really follow these instructions and still have a problem, then it may be an issue.

Obviously, you have the bios to boot from the cd, otherwise you can't enter setup. Since, xp never even reaches installation, you shouldn't boot from the HD... but then, you shouldn't have to restart unless you have installed xp... or unless you're bypassing the formatting of the disk and exiting the setup over and over again.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
you might need to update the bios. maybe.

it worked for my epox 8kha+ (which is an older board, granted)

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?</font color=blue>

G

Thanks for the replies. I have formated and partition the hard drive in the win xp setup. The set up will install some file on my hard drive and then say that the computer will restart to continue with the set up. But when it restarts, it does not continue with the installation. It instead goes back to the setup where it ask you where to partition and where to put the installation files.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Make sure you're not overclocking anything, especially memory settings. This has been shown to have this similar effect in any Windows installation. So, get into the BIOS and make sure it's set to your memory's specified speed. If it's set to SPD, set the CAS timings manually.

While in the BIOS, check that your CD-Rom drive is in it's highest transfer mode.

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>