EvilTwin

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
Is there a way to disable just the 1394 Firewire port on the Audigy2? I never plan to use it and don't want it taking up any resources. Can this be done via Jumper, Bios(does Audigy2 have a bios?), or driver setting? I still want to use all audio features and the Midi/Game Port on it. Thanks

svol

Champion
Well if there is a manual look if there are any jumper settings. Otherwise just disable the device under System Properties - Hardware and then under properties of the IEEE1394 controller.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

EvilTwin

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
Thanks svol.
I read the manual and looked at the card. No jumpers.
Does disabling the Audigy2 1394 in System Properties really free up resources, or just turn off the driver?

svol

Champion
Well that depends on your OS. If it doesn't load the drivers then it doesn't get an IRQ assigned by the OS, but it still gets one from the BIOS.

Many new OSes remap the IRQs so it might save resource... but it wont matter much as Win2k and XP put all PCI devices on the same IRQ (didn't found a way to prevent that). Maybe with Win98/ME you will save some resource.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

EvilTwin

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
Thanks svol.
Then I guess I'll disable the 1394 driver in XP Pro. At least the OS won't have to spend any time checking if something is plugged in.