Zoeymae

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
I have a 120GB SATA that I need to re-format...blah, blah, blah. Is there an optimum partition size for a drive this size? What might the partitions be? I'm installing Win2000 Pro. and assuming I have programs, games, downloads, images, etc., what might be the best strategy for functionality in partitioning this drive? I have an 80 GB additional drive that will be used as extended partitions or possibly a linux drive. How would you go about laying out this hardware?

Thanks

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
If the partitions are NTFS I don't think the partition size matters very much.

Use the partitions for organization more than anything else. Example. If you ghost or otherwise backup copy your OS partiton it is easy to rebuild your core system.

I like to keep my OS seperate from other software and data. That makes sharing them across a network safer, even a home network (Never share the OS partition!!!!!).

The loving are the daring!

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
it's also good so you don't lose your pictures and music, etc if you need to reformat/reinstall on your OS partition.

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Some folks also make a 512M or 1G partition for the swap file. Though I don't know if that increases performance at all.

Zoeymae

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Okay....so, is there a program that will load the SATA drives or drivers so that I can format from the floppy and make any partitions that I need?

Thank you

svol

Champion
From what I read it doesn't increase performance, more likely decrease it. It is best to put the swap file on a much used partition of a fast drive... preferably not the one the OS is installed on. If you can place it on a partition at the outer side of the drive it should theoratically be the fastest solution.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

svol

Champion
Well if you know from which LBA sectors it runs you can figure outs its place manually. But I don't know if the LBA start counting from the outside or from the inside.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've never needed more than 30GB for the OS partition, even with all my program installation files there. I'd make the first partition 30GB and use the rest for storage.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>