ipod audio recording?

Last response: in Home Audio
July 21, 2005 12:31:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound, (More info?)

Hi,

Other than the Linux Op System "fix", has anyone heard of a way to record
44.1 16 bit or better into an ipod?

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

More about : ipod audio recording

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:37:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

hook it up to a Cantar X
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:42:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

I don't think iPods record at all. That feature was traded off for
showing pictures and PDA functions.
July 22, 2005 2:53:05 AM

"Scott Farr" <scott@farroutpro.com> wrote in message

> hook it up to a Cantar X

Naah, the Cantar X stands alone - needs no iPod. @ $15,000
is should stand alone!
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:55:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

15000 euro :-)- without the batteries

--
Oleg Kaizerman (gebe) Hollyland

> "Scott Farr" <scott@farroutpro.com> wrote in message
>
>> hook it up to a Cantar X
>
> Naah, the Cantar X stands alone - needs no iPod. @ $15,000
> is should stand alone!

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:53:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

<<I don't think iPods record at all. That feature was traded off for
showing pictures and PDA functions.>>

Dunno about the latest models, but the 60GB color iPod I got in January
records through an optional mic (made by Belkin) that plugs into the
top. The sample/bit rate must be very low because the top end is pretty
severely rolled off, and it's strictly mono, but it's perfectly useable
as a voice recorder. I use it a lot.

Ted Spencer, NYC
www.tedspencerrecording.com
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:07:11 PM

In article <5tWdnXTsC60Mwn3fRVn-sQ@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> > hook it up to a Cantar X
>
> Naah, the Cantar X stands alone - needs no iPod. @ $15,000
> is should stand alone!

But the Cantar can't download MP3 files or display pictures. Nor does
it have a mini headphone jack.

Naah, you really need both.

July 22, 2005 1:07:12 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> the Cantar can't download MP3 files or display pictures. Nor does
> it have a mini headphone jack.

The Sound Devices 7-Series make fabulous MP3 players (and have a mini
headphone jack.)
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:09:44 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 05:55:40 +0300, "Oleg Kaizerman"
<kaizero1@gmail.com> wrote:

>15000 euro :-)- without the batteries
-- A roughly twice as much compared to well-equiped Nagras and
Stellavoxes some 20 years ago. But, someone is going to have it for
high budget movie production -- me not.

But recently I did a recording of a Zagreb Soloists concert in a local
church using that Sony MZ NH1 HiMD recorder and a Sony stereo mic.
After grumbling and sighing during transfer by their curious Sonic
Stage software, I did a decent M-S recorded CD. A mic stand for
mounting the microphone quite overhead in front of the performers and
a bag with minidisc recodred hanging from it was the only equipment :)

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:22:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

Sorry, the mic is made by Griifin, not Belkin, and it's called "iTalk".

Ted Spencer, NYC
www.tedspencerrecording.com
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:25:15 PM

AdmNaismith@Yahoo.com wrote:
> I don't think iPods record at all. That feature was traded off for
> showing pictures and PDA functions.

AFAIK they never did, other than through a cheesy "voice mic"
appendage.

There's a company called iRiver that used to make an MP3 player that
would record 44.1/16 bit .WAV files via SPDIF or analog ins, albeit
with some small glitch. They fixed the glitch by removing the feature
altogether, leaving only 320 kpbs MP3 file recording via analog ins in
its wake in the successive player. They have now discontinued that one
also and the new model (like Apple) only offers "voice recording" with
a "built-in mic". My guess is that Apple probably put pressure on them
to knock it off, since people using it to record from each other's
ipods threatened to cut into their music store profits. (128k MP3
files going in and out of a bunch of bad A/D converters must have
sounded great, btw).

Anyone know of any other portable music players that offer recording
possibilites, other than the RAMPS-famed Jukebox 3 (which is Mac
incompatible)? I don't want to use it for work, but the idea of having
a recording device handy and already in your pocket is attractive for
non-business-related purposes.

nvt
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:08:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

Lots of iRiver H120s still on Ebay. Very handy to have in a bag rig.
Glitch is a non-issue w/ dialog/doco recording.
Sounds pretty damn good.

Philip Perkins
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:41:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

Try the Hi MD from Sony. Can record PCM audio (analog 3.5mm input) and
USB output to your PC. 1 gig disks hold about an hour at PCM quality i
think. (software converts it to .wav).

Peter Kraan
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 12:09:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound (More info?)

On Jul 23, 2005, Rocktap <p.kraan@xtra.co.nz> commented:

> Try the Hi MD from Sony. Can record PCM audio (analog 3.5mm input) and
> USB output to your PC. 1 gig disks hold about an hour at PCM quality i
> think. (software converts it to .wav).
>------------------------------snip>------------------------------<

There's a brand-new portable Hi-MD recorder from Sony, the MZ-M100, which
records uncompressed stereo WAV files on Minidisc. It's not quite a DAT
replacement, but it does at least have the ability to upload files to a Mac
via some included software.

The info is here:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayMo...
0959

--MFW
August 23, 2005 6:12:07 AM

"Rocktap" <p.kraan@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>Try the Hi MD from Sony. Can record PCM audio (analog 3.5mm input) and
>USB output to your PC. 1 gig disks hold about an hour at PCM quality i
>think. (software converts it to .wav).

To be more accurate it's about 90 minutes at CD-quality (16-bit
44.1KHz) uncompressed WAV on each 1GB disk. Plus you can field-swap
batteries for extended recording time.

Of course it is still a consumer mic preamp on 1/8" connectors. That's
the main limitation. But if you're comparing to an iPod I don't think
you're looking for a Nagra.

-----
robin
noisetheatre.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:28:21 PM

In article <kmtkg1d8a2b6sr76vjr8cratj76n7t63oi@4ax.com>, escalation746
@yahoo.com says...

> Of course it is still a consumer mic preamp on 1/8" connectors. That's
> the main limitation. But if you're comparing to an iPod I don't think
> you're looking for a Nagra.

fwiw, there's also a line-in (3.5mm grrr) as well (at least on the
NH900). I hook to an ouput on the Mackie mixer my wife's vocal group
uses as well as with an external mic preamp.

Jason

--
reverse my name in email address
!