mike88

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
I'm gonna get a 2500+ (with slk900u) i wanna take the fsb only to 200, this will be my first time overclocking and I don't want to take it too far. So... should i get corsair twinx 512mb (2x256 c2 models) pc3200 or geil twin modules of ddr433 pc3500.... at 400mhz both are rated to run at

2-3-3-6 1T (the geil rated to run at 433 same timings)
but at 400mhz would the corsair have a better chance at running at faster timings than the geil? the corsair is cheaper too i believe...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i think probably the geil memory could run 2-2-2-5 at 200mhz fsb...so i would go with whoever is cheeper...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

G

I got some Geil GOlden Dragon and I never managed to run the sticks under 2-3-3-6. I didnt try to raise de voltage over 1.75 tough. But still good ram for the price stable and all...

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I've tried to contact Corsair tech support (email and phone for over a week) - re a compatibility question - haven't been able to get through and they haven't returned 3 messages. Based on their lack of support - I wouldn't pay premium $ for their memory. I have never failed to reach Geil or Kingston - Kingston is good, also.

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
May want to try the <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=130" target="_new">Corsair Forum</A> if ya haven't tried already.

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Been there - done that - but not a word from Corsair or their Ram_Guy.

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Geil will only do what they are rated for. They are not an overclockers memory type. If you want to run memory above DDR400/PC3200 then you need to buy modules rated for what you are planning to do. If you want to run you memory bus at a 466MHz DDR signal then you need DDR466/PC3700 and not DDR433/PC3500 overclocked to a 466MHz DDR signal.

You can try messing with it but it gets mad.

BTW: Jake... did you buy your memory yet? If you did I would like to see how it worked out for you.

Live near Toronto and like to game but you can't make it to Quakecon?
<A HREF="http://www.lanmash.com" target="_new"><b>LANMash2 is the same weekend 200+ gamers!</b></A>

G

Ya probly right Bum, but at least I can say the memory is running perfectly at the advertised speed. So im quite happy and Kingston HyperX would have costed me a good 50$ more and for some reason its pretty hard to find corsair mem in canada...So its all good im happy with Golden dragon's cool look too heh.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
but if he is underclocking the ram i would think that he would at least be able to squeeze out a little better timmings? right?

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Not the newer Geil. It runs up to the specs and basically no more. You might, might, be able to get more out but it is more or a rarity than the norm.

They run awesome and stable at their specs. Just don't ask for more from them than they are rated. With Geil you are getting a good product for the price but you are getting what you pay for, nothing less and nothing more.

<A HREF="http://www.lanmash.com" target="_new"><b>LANMash2 is the same weekend 300+ gamers!</b></A>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Also... I see a lot of people still are tied up with timings... They are less important than they used to be under SDRSDRAM and previous meory architectures.

Don't get me wrong, better timings will improve system and memory performance but not as much as small increases in frequency speeds. Shaving a few clocks of is not going to impact the overall performance as going from PC3200 to PC3500 or PC3700 with the FSB adjusted to match the memory bus at that higher frequency. Millions of cycles compared to hundreds of thousands of cycles is no contest. There are other memory settings that are now becoming more important now than CAS, RAS, tRP, etc. latencies like Page Hit Limits, Idle Cycle Time Limits, and having too short of a tRC or Bank Cycle Time latency setting.

<A HREF="http://www.lanmash.com" target="_new"><b>LANMash2 is the same weekend 300+ gamers!</b></A>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Hey Bum_ ..., Haven't bought memory yet - shortly after I was posting questions for a new computer build - took a direct lightening shot - fried my computer, 2 TV's, 4 phones, etc - melted the house number off my place. Lightening - some nasty stuff - direct building hit - everything connected to phone, electric and cable got fried. So I'm back to trying to repair old rig - then I'll build a new one.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
OH no!

Just curious....after the lightining strike...were all the metal door handles in your house hot?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Don't know - I was at my computer, by the window - the lightening hit the roof trim just above me - with the flash (blinding) and "explosion" - knocked me off my chair. Took a couple of minutes to "shake it off" and go around checking stuff - but by the time I went outside (wasn't in a great hurry), the door handles wern't hot - or I didn't notice. I was just plain pissed off.

Now I'm doing insurance crap - and that's soooooooooo much fun.
I'm posting this at a library ...

Sucks. Big time.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
If you plan on getting matched pair then you will have better luck with GEIL. Typically the higher the clock speed the ram, the more noiser it is which means the lower the timing youcan set.The corsair running at 400 will have better timings than the geil running at 433 but if that paticular geil stick running 400 mostly likely would have the same timings. Just get the geil pc 3200 version if you plan on just doing 200.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

Hasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Howsa...

Hrm.. I just bought 2 slabs of Golden Dragon PC3200 400mhz ULD CL2 512mb. Along with a new mobo (MSI NEO-FSIR2) and p4.. but I had a shitload of problems getting the system stable, it would rund windows xp like a charm, but when I tried to run games or anything that was memory hungry I got the BSOD, anyway.. I tried every possible combination of hardware and os'es.. W2k3 crashed (BSOD) during install and w2k was not a real option since it don't support HT. Anyway after a while I tried ramping up the DDR voltage and the system was more stable, I fired it up some more (2.8) and it's dead stable, now I cannot remember the timings, but I set them for the fastest possible, worked like a charm. The memory is even cool to the touch when running benchmarks for hours.. the new packaging is really neat.. anyway the modules I bought wasn't "matched" since I find that hype friggin' annoying, but as long as they're two same modules from the same producer, what's the big friggin' deal?. Anyway just remember if you go Geil fry em with high voltage, mine is rated for 3.1V which on my mobo says is not recomended :).. Ahh and the Geil modules was way cheaper than the Twin XMS 3200LL Corsair modules (Both 1Gb total size)... I saved about $135 going Geil instead of Corsair..

Hope I gave some.. hmm help..

PS! Sorry about the lightning strike Jake, rebuilding data is a bitch even if it's only non important stuff.. Good Luck..

SecretIan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Ok, I am going to have an ASUS a7n8x mobo soon with a barton 2500+ cpu, and twin 256 mb sticks of RAM (for dual channel) I wanna get the best memory for the price, while ignoring overclockability (PC3200 would be fine for me, I dont wanna have to get new RAM if I ever wanna get a nice 400mhz fsb cpu). Basically, I wanna be able to run my RAM at 333mhz w/ best timings, but I also wanna save as much money as possible. To me(based on this forum), it sounds like the Geil golden dragon is the best for me. Am I right?

Also, do you guys know a website where I can get the golden dragon RAM and also the full product name? I have never used anything from Geil before.

One last thing, is it worth it to get a pair of RAM that officially supports dual channel, or will two of the same module bought at the same time be the same thing? Thanks a lot for the help guys.

-"Shoot coward, you will only kill a man"-