Status
Not open for further replies.

I am getting ready to do some post processing on a LOT of voice-only
files. It never ceases to amaze me how transparent the RNC is in the
Super Nice Mode for this purpose. It beats everything else I've tried by
a LONG shot. Way to go, Mark!

mcp6453 wrote:
> I am getting ready to do some post processing on a LOT of voice-only
> files. It never ceases to amaze me how transparent the RNC is in the
> Super Nice Mode for this purpose. It beats everything else I've tried by
> a LONG shot. Way to go, Mark!

Scary, you know?

Guess I'll have to throw out all them Neves and stuff. ;)

--fletch

Sidhu

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004

this would be a nice time to educate me on the real advantage i would
have of spending USD350 on the RNC. (after i pay customs in india)

If i were to have the RNC i would use it during tracking. There was
this other thread which stated that taming peaks during tracking in a
well setup digital domain was quite pointless, as tere is actually
enough headroom to record reasonable levels withought clipping, and use
a good plugin afterwards.

Since the RNC is also very transparent, i doubt one can relly use it to
add color.

thanks
Sidhu

Sidhu wrote:

> If i were to have the RNC i would use it during tracking. There was
> this other thread which stated that taming peaks during tracking in a
> well setup digital domain was quite pointless, as tere is actually
> enough headroom to record reasonable levels withought clipping,

With good equipment, this is probably true -- unless you have a wildly
unpredictable source.

Sidhu <nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com> wrote:
>this would be a nice time to educate me on the real advantage i would
>have of spending USD350 on the RNC. (after i pay customs in india)

At that price, it is a real deal. It will let you bring your average
levels up without bringing the peak levels up. It is useful in tracking,
in mixing, and on the 2-buss.

>If i were to have the RNC i would use it during tracking. There was
>this other thread which stated that taming peaks during tracking in a
>well setup digital domain was quite pointless, as tere is actually
>enough headroom to record reasonable levels withought clipping, and use
>a good plugin afterwards.

Yes, this is true. But if you want things louder and denser,
compression is still a good idea.

Protection limiting, though, is really not a good idea with all the
available dynamic range. And the RNC isn't very good asa protection
limiter anyway.

>Since the RNC is also very transparent, i doubt one can relly use it to
>add color.

No, but it will still add squash and make things denser by bringing the
average levels up.

There used to be an interesting and highly-colored limiter that was
made in India for the local broadcast market. I know All-India-Radio
used the things for transmitter protection.... there have to be a bunch
of them out there. I'll think of the name in a bit...
--scott

Sidhu

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Sidhu <nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com> wrote:
> >this would be a nice time to educate me on the real advantage i would
> >have of spending USD350 on the RNC. (after i pay customs in india)
>
> At that price, it is a real deal. It will let you bring your average
> levels up without bringing the peak levels up. It is useful in tracking,
> in mixing, and on the 2-buss.

At a price of 350USD ?

> >If i were to have the RNC i would use it during tracking. There was
> >this other thread which stated that taming peaks during tracking in a
> >well setup digital domain was quite pointless, as tere is actually
> >enough headroom to record reasonable levels withought clipping, and use
> >a good plugin afterwards.
>
> Yes, this is true. But if you want things louder and denser,
> compression is still a good idea.

Ofcource, i use compressors a lot. My question was how much of a
difference will compressing the source during tracking make over using
compression in post ? Unless i mildly compress both during tracking and
in post. Still not convinced this would make a lootta difference. But i
really have not ever done that.

> >Since the RNC is also very transparent, i doubt one can relly use it to
> >add color.
>
> No, but it will still add squash and make things denser by bringing the
> average levels up.
>
> There used to be an interesting and highly-colored limiter that was
> made in India for the local broadcast market. I know All-India-Radio
> used the things for transmitter protection.... there have to be a bunch
> of them out there. I'll think of the name in a bit...
> --scott

Thats real intreasting. I would imagine that the higly color'ed
compressor you talk about, would be so, more because of cheap build
rather than by design. I really dont know, but 'Ahuja' by any chance ?

AIR updated their studios a while ago, what they forgot to do was
update their techies. They have DAT machines and CD players now, but
try sending them anything other that 1/4 inch. They reject it! :~\

thanks a ton. Id love have a couple of cheap but charecter compressors
added.

Sidhu

Sidhu

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004

Unless we have a wildy unpredictable source (bad drummer?) i would tend
to disagree, i almost never have any trouble tracking 24bit. But I can
understand it's equally easy to clip the converters. One does need to
be carefull.

Sidhu

"Sidhu" <nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com> wrote in news:1122046478.179526.161320
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> If i were to have the RNC i would use it during tracking. There was
> this other thread which stated that taming peaks during tracking in a
> well setup digital domain was quite pointless, as tere is actually
> enough headroom to record reasonable levels withought clipping, and use
> a good plugin afterwards.

I respectfully disagree.
It can be quite easy to overload (clip) the converters on your audio
interface going in.

"P. Chamney" <joe@blough.com> wrote in message

> It can be quite easy to overload (clip) the converters on
your
> audio interface going in.

Sure, misadjust preamp's gain and the preamp and/or the
converter clips. Avoiding this can take some skill.

The important question is not whether you can overload the
converters going in, because you can always do that if you
are careless.

The important question is whether or not taking reasonable
steps to avoid overloading the preamp and converters causes
other problems.

In the real world, tracking means shoving a signal with at
very, very most 80 dB dynamic range through a modern
coverter with at the very least 96 dB dynamic range.

P. Chamney <joe@blough.com> wrote:
>"Sidhu" <nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com> wrote in news:1122046478.179526.161320
>
>> If i were to have the RNC i would use it during tracking. There was
>> this other thread which stated that taming peaks during tracking in a
>> well setup digital domain was quite pointless, as tere is actually
>> enough headroom to record reasonable levels withought clipping, and use
>> a good plugin afterwards.
>
>I respectfully disagree.
>It can be quite easy to overload (clip) the converters on your audio
>interface going in.

Then TURN IT DOWN.
--scott

"Sidhu" <nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com> wrote in message

> Since the RNC is also very transparent, i doubt one can relly use it to
> add color.

If you want color you'll have to look elsewhere. Most times today when I
hear people talk about compression they're talking more about the color than
the actual volume leveling. I think that's why some are disappointed (if
they misunderstand these things) when they hear a RNC (or more correctly
DON'T hear a RNC). I have to look at the meters to even be sure it's working
a lot of times.

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1122068175.237565.65310@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com writes:
>
> > Unless we have a wildy unpredictable source (bad drummer?)
>
> Send the drummer home and get a replacement.

Drummers with a wildly unpredictable (to the engineer, obviously not to
the bandleader) dynamics are sometimes the most engaging part of the
music. If a drummer can play from a whisper to a scream within the
song and it works, why send him home? ("Elvin, sorry, just leave. I
need to replace you with someone easier to record") Just record him so
it records without clipping or squashing. Why get a replacement who
plays with less dynamics? Nothing wrong with the drummer. Just
needs to be dealt with.

Sidhu wrote:
> Unless we have a wildy unpredictable source (bad drummer?)

I'm thinking "amateur vocalist who can't decide whether to eat the mic
or keep it two feet from the mouth." Especially if you have no way to
manually ride gain (increasingly common these days, sigh...)

In article <1122068175.237565.65310@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com writes:

> Unless we have a wildy unpredictable source (bad drummer?)

Send the drummer home and get a replacement.

Sidhu <nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com> wrote:

>Ofcource, i use compressors a lot. My question was how much of a
>difference will compressing the source during tracking make over using
>compression in post ? Unless i mildly compress both during tracking and
>in post. Still not convinced this would make a lootta difference. But i
>really have not ever done that.

In the modern digital world, it won't make any difference if you compress
during tracking or in post.

But you'll find the RNC will beat most other compressors hands down in
either application, for clean compression.

>> There used to be an interesting and highly-colored limiter that was
>> made in India for the local broadcast market. I know All-India-Radio
>> used the things for transmitter protection.... there have to be a bunch
>> of them out there. I'll think of the name in a bit...
>
>Thats real intreasting. I would imagine that the higly color'ed
>compressor you talk about, would be so, more because of cheap build
>rather than by design. I really dont know, but 'Ahuja' by any chance ?

No, it was named after a location.... I will think of it.

There also was a Russian compressor called the "Audion" which was very
popular in broadcast applications in Asia in the late eighties. They
were full of really bad op-amps and kind of noisy, but the were still
fun compressors. I have one and I still use it now and then.

>AIR updated their studios a while ago, what they forgot to do was
>update their techies. They have DAT machines and CD players now, but
>try sending them anything other that 1/4 inch. They reject it! :~\

I hear rumors that JAI is not manufacturing tape right now, and the
guys trying to restart Zonal are horribly backordered because they
are getting enormous orders from AIR and from the South African SABC.
--scott

Sidhu

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I hear rumors that JAI is not manufacturing tape right now, and the
> guys trying to restart Zonal are horribly backordered because they
> are getting enormous orders from AIR and from the South African SABC.
> --scott

I dunno about JAI making tape anymore or not. But I needed a couple of
spools for a project recently, and managed to get hold of them quite
easy. We had a correspondence regarding Tapes via email a while back.
If you're intreasted ill be more than willing to send some over.

Sidhu

Sidhu wrote:

> Ofcource, i use compressors a lot. My question was how much of a
> difference will compressing the source during tracking make over using
> compression in post ? Unless i mildly compress both during tracking and
> in post. Still not convinced this would make a lootta difference. But i
> really have not ever done that.

The difference, if you have high dynamic range converters is
simply the flexibility you have later in the game. If you
do it in tracking you are stuck with it. If you wait you
can play with it. At the end of the day, with good
converters and good algorithms the sound won't be better or
worse simply on the basis of where you did it.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

mcp6453 wrote:
> I am getting ready to do some post processing on a LOT of voice-only
> files. It never ceases to amaze me how transparent the RNC is in the
> Super Nice Mode for this purpose. It beats everything else I've tried by
> a LONG shot. Way to go, Mark!

I have an RNC also....do you ever use it for post-processing after
recording the "raw" audio? If so, how do the results vary? Thanks!

Jonny Durango

> I can imagine it working real well on the mix buss then....
>
> Sidhu

Passable to good, depending on the program material.

Predrag

Sidhu wrote:

> Thats real intreasting. I would imagine that the higly color'ed
> compressor you talk about, would be so, more because of cheap build
> rather than by design. I really dont know, but 'Ahuja' by any chance ?

LMAO !

I know one of the Ahujas and his company rather well. ;-)

Graham

> Unless we have a wildy unpredictable source (bad
> drummer?)

It's hard to imagine a real-world source that would be so
bad as to need compression to be effectively recorded with
even just 16 bit resolution.

> i would tend to disagree, i almost never have
> any trouble tracking 24bit. But I can understand it's
> equally easy to clip the converters.

It's easy to clip mic preamps or just about anything else
electronic.

> One does need to be carefull.

Thats one reason why very few sucessful recordists are
monkeys.

In article <1122084977.379621.300980@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> vdubreeze@earthlink.net writes:

> Drummers with a wildly unpredictable (to the engineer, obviously not to
> the bandleader) dynamics are sometimes the most engaging part of the
> music.

The engineer shouldn't have a problem capturing what the bandleader
likes. But if the bandleader realizes, when hearing a recording, that
the drummer is a problem, something needs to be done.

> If a drummer can play from a whisper to a scream within the
> song and it works, why send him home?

No reason to, because it works. The problem is when the drummer is
playing at scream level when the rest of the band is whispering (or
some other situation) and it DOESN'T work. The problem is rarely that
the drummer plays inconsistently, when there's a problem it's usualy
that his playing isn't consistent with the dynamics or tone of the
song. Somebody needs to tell him that. It really shouldn't be the
engineer making excuses, it should be the band telling him to get with
the program or go home.

In article <dbst7801kqt@enews2.newsguy.com> arcane@arcanemethods.com writes:

> The difference, if you have high dynamic range converters is
> simply the flexibility you have later in the game. If you
> do it in tracking you are stuck with it. If you wait you
> can play with it.

The problem with a consoleless and hardwareless control room is that
you often want to have a compressed (though not necessarily with the
final settings) version in the monitor mix when tracking. This can
help other players as well as avoid distractions. With today's setups,
it's not quite as simple to patch a compressor into the tape return
path (compressing just what you're hearing in the monitor) and just
leave it set so the dynamics variations aren't objectionable.

<vdubreeze@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Mike Rivers wrote:
>> In article <1122068175.237565.65310@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com writes:
>>
>> > Unless we have a wildy unpredictable source (bad drummer?)
>>
>> Send the drummer home and get a replacement.
>
>Drummers with a wildly unpredictable (to the engineer, obviously not to
>the bandleader) dynamics are sometimes the most engaging part of the
>music. If a drummer can play from a whisper to a scream within the
>song and it works, why send him home? ("Elvin, sorry, just leave. I
>need to replace you with someone easier to record") Just record him so
>it records without clipping or squashing. Why get a replacement who
>plays with less dynamics? Nothing wrong with the drummer. Just
>needs to be dealt with.

I think Mike is taking about those drummers who have wildly unpredictable
dynamics that -are- unpredictable to the bandleader.

You can't do anything about the drummer who constantly breaks out into solos
at inappropriate times while the bandleader glares at him in a mix of anger
and horror, though.

Last time I saw Mose Allison playing with a local pickup band, I thought
Mose was going to walk out any moment and just leave the drummer there
alone.
--scott