Creative Nomad Jukebox, and Jukebox 3

Last response: in Home Audio
July 22, 2005 3:20:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

After reading several positive reviews on portable recording on a Jukebox 3,
I was looking into getting one. However, it seeems that they are no longer
available. Is there any other HD based MP3 players that do a good job at
recording 44.1 wav files? The original 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available for
a good price directly from Creative. Has anyone used on of these or have
any other sugestions?

regards
Ron Wiebe
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:20:54 PM

"Ron Wiebe" <ronwiebe (at) gmail.com> writes:
> After reading several positive reviews on portable recording on a Jukebox 3,
> I was looking into getting one. However, it seeems that they are no longer
> available. Is there any other HD based MP3 players that do a good job at
> recording 44.1 wav files? The original 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available for
> a good price directly from Creative. Has anyone used on of these or have
> any other sugestions?

I have -- they're wonderful. They're a breeze to find on ebay and are
going for a song (if you pardon the pun). I have a page detailing my
nomad jukebox adventures for recording live music here:
http://toddh.net/music/njb/

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

Ron Wiebe wrote:
> After reading several positive reviews on portable recording on a Jukebox 3,
> I was looking into getting one. However, it seeems that they are no longer
> available. Is there any other HD based MP3 players that do a good job at
> recording 44.1 wav files?

Nothing that I am aware of at this time comes close to the
price/performance of the NJB3.

> The original 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available for
> a good price directly from Creative.

Where? They used to have them on eBay but I don't see any there right now.
July 22, 2005 3:20:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Great gadget...

I'll connect mine to the mixer outs to back me up during a live
multitrack session or use it to sneeker material for auditioning around
other places/systems. Found a program that'll interface my JB3 with
iTunes which is a bit cumbersome but gets the job done.

They seem relatively rugged - I've had one drop off a dining table onto
a carpeted floor while playing and it seems fine.

The mini plug is goofy..

Cleaver people have been replacing the 20gb hd with much larger
drives...

Creative has a line of flash drive recorders coming on line that have a
line-in. Presently, it's limited to 128 (?) kbps MP3. I'm wondering
if the compression versus full wav recording is handled in firmware or
on specialized silicon. Anyway, been doing some imagineering using
these a handful of these little recorders about the room, up in the
rafters, in the balcony, certain spot locations, etc. and gathering
them all together during post production. Probably may pick one up to
mess around with....
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:51:36 PM

"Ron Wiebe" <ronwiebe (at) gmail.com> wrote in message
> After reading several positive reviews on portable
recording
> on a Jukebox 3, I was looking into getting one. However,
it
> seeems that they are no longer available. Is there any
other
> HD based MP3 players that do a good job at recording 44.1
wav
> files? The original 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available for
> good price directly from Creative. Has anyone used on of
> these or have any other sugestions?

I have a NJB3 and every live recording session I've done
with it has come out exactly as expected. The latest
firmware makes recording which was always easy, even easier.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:54:45 PM

> "Ron Wiebe" <ronwiebe (at) gmail.com> wrote in message
> > After reading several positive reviews on portable
> recording
> > on a Jukebox 3, I was looking into getting one. However,
> it
> > seeems that they are no longer available. Is there any
> other
> > HD based MP3 players that do a good job at recording 44.1
> wav
> > files? The original 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available for
> > good price directly from Creative. Has anyone used on of
> > these or have any other sugestions?
>
> I have a NJB3 and every live recording session I've done
> with it has come out exactly as expected. The latest
> firmware makes recording which was always easy, even easier.

That's great, but you can't get the JB3 any more. I'm leary of buying one
that doesn't have any warranty. Therefore I'm looking for different
options. Have you, or anyone else, used the original Jukebox or any other
suitable MP3 players with 20 or more gigs of HD space?

regards
Ron Wiebe
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:02:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

"Ron Wiebe" <ronwiebe (at) gmail.com> writes:

> That's great, but you can't get the JB3 any more.

On ebay you can.

> I'm leary of buying one
> that doesn't have any warranty.

Buy two. They're that inexpensive used. Folks who have them are
eying iPod's as most folks overlook their use as high quality digital
recorders.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:28:15 PM

>> "Ron Wiebe" <ronwiebe (at) gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> After reading several positive reviews on portable
>> recording
>>> on a Jukebox 3, I was looking into getting one.
However,
>> it
>>> seeems that they are no longer available. Is there any
>> other
>>> HD based MP3 players that do a good job at recording
44.1
>> wav
>>> files? The original 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available
for
>>> good price directly from Creative. Has anyone used on
of
>>> these or have any other sugestions?
>>
>> I have a NJB3 and every live recording session I've done
>> with it has come out exactly as expected. The latest
>> firmware makes recording which was always easy, even
easier.

> That's great, but you can't get the JB3 any more.

Agreed.

> I'm leary of buying one that doesn't have any warranty.

When I bought mine, new warrantied product was available.
However, the warranty period was only 90 days.

I'd probably consider buying one again from a seller that
would guarantee no DOA.

> Therefore I'm looking for different options.

They'll cost you so much more that you could probably buy 2
or more used NJB3s for the same price.

> Have you, or anyone else, used
> the original Jukebox or any other suitable MP3 players
with 20
> or more gigs of HD space?

iRiver's name comes to mind...
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:04:30 PM

In article <42e10f02_1@netscape.ca> "Ron Wiebe" <ronwiebe (at) gmail.com> writes:

> After reading several positive reviews on portable recording on a Jukebox 3,
> I was looking into getting one. However, it seeems that they are no longer
> available. Is there any other HD based MP3 players that do a good job at
> recording 44.1 wav files?

I've been looking for a more "professional" replacement ever since I
got a Jukebox 3 to replace my DAT. I'm still looking. The current
options are either no more professional than what I have now or cost
more (and do more) than what I want. I'd love to gut a Jukebox, put it
in a sturdy aluminum box, add a mic preamp and XLR connectors, but
then I'd have as much time in it as if I bought a Sound Devices or
something.

When I put aside my fears of the mini input plug working loose when
I'm not looking and use decent mics and preamp with it, I'm entirely
satisfied with the recordings I make with it. I just wish it was more
of a pro piece of gear and less like a throw-away music player, but it
isn't.

July 22, 2005 10:04:31 PM

In article <42e11724_1@netscape.ca> "Ron Wiebe" <ronwiebe (at) gmail.com> writes:

> That's great, but you can't get the JB3 any more. I'm leary of buying one
> that doesn't have any warranty.

So buy two without a warranty. It's still cheap. And unless you drop
it too far or too often, it's highly unlikely to fail.

> Have you, or anyone else, used the original Jukebox or any other
> suitable MP3 players with 20 or more gigs of HD space?

Sure, lots of us have. We like it. That's probably why it was
discontinued. Acutally it was discontinued because there really isn't
much interest in live recording at the common folks' price. Most
people were using them to rip CDs with their computers and wondered
why they had to pay extra for recording features that they never used.

July 22, 2005 10:23:17 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:20:53 -0400, in rec.audio.pro "Ron Wiebe"
<ronwiebe (at) gmail.com> wrote:

>After reading several positive reviews on portable recording on a Jukebox 3,
>I was looking into getting one. However, it seeems that they are no longer
>available. Is there any other HD based MP3 players that do a good job at
>recording 44.1 wav files? The original 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available for
>a good price directly from Creative. Has anyone used on of these or have
>any other sugestions?
>
>regards
>Ron Wiebe

this was posted on RAMPS by Oleg
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/MM-...

martin
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:47:55 PM

>> "Ron Wiebe" <ronwiebe (at) gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > After reading several positive reviews on portable
>> recording
>> > on a Jukebox 3, I was looking into getting one. However,
>> it
>> > seeems that they are no longer available. Is there any
>> other
>> > HD based MP3 players that do a good job at recording 44.1
>> wav
>> > files? The original 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available for
>> > good price directly from Creative. Has anyone used on of
>> > these or have any other sugestions?
>>
>> I have a NJB3 and every live recording session I've done
>> with it has come out exactly as expected. The latest
>> firmware makes recording which was always easy, even easier.
>>

> That's great, but you can't get the JB3 any more. I'm leary of buying one
> that doesn't have any warranty. Therefore I'm looking for different
> options. Have you, or anyone else, used the original Jukebox or any other
> suitable MP3 players with 20 or more gigs of HD space?
>
> regards
> Ron Wiebe

I bought an Archos Gmini 120 for this exact purpose. So far it's working
good.

You can record wav 16/44.1, anolog line-in and digital in/out, usb 2.0
connection
and the record meter is big and easy to see

Joachim
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:47:56 PM

"Joachim" <jo.nospam.forme@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I bought an Archos Gmini 120 for this exact purpose. So
far
> it's working good.
>
> You can record wav 16/44.1, anolog line-in and digital
in/out,
> usb 2.0 connection and the record meter is big and easy
to see

I found this sort of pricing on the web:

http://www.wiredzone.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=32000568&sourc...

If my NJB3 bites the dust, this would be very high on my
list.

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:24:05 PM

Ron Wiebe wrote:
> After reading several positive reviews on portable recording on a
> Jukebox 3, I was looking into getting one. However, it seeems that
> they are no longer available. Is there any other HD based MP3
> players that do a good job at recording 44.1 wav files? The original
> 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available for a good price directly from
> Creative. Has anyone used on of these or have any other sugestions?

The Sony Hi-MD walkmans can record and play back in uncompressed PCM format,
or a # of other formats. My buddy's got the $400 model and he loves it. I'm
saving up for one now, myself. I highly suggest you take a look.
---
Splat
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:36:06 PM

Splat wrote:
> The Sony Hi-MD walkmans can record and play back in uncompressed PCM
> format, or a # of other formats. My buddy's got the $400 model and he
> loves it. I'm saving up for one now, myself. I highly suggest you
> take a look. ---

Little more info...... The one my buddy has is the MZ-RH10 with the display
and he paid around $300, actually. I've heard recordings he's done and they
are pretty damn good.
---
Splat
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:04:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

> Little more info...... The one my buddy has is the MZ-RH10 with the display
> and he paid around $300, actually. I've heard recordings he's done and they
> are pretty damn good.

I've used ordinary Minidisks -- at 4X compression, in fact -- as "check
recordings" for live mixing, and they sound pretty damn good for
something so cheap and convenient (and so little attention paid to the
mix being fed to them).
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:25:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Can the JB3 use regular AA batterties as well as the propriatory Lithium Ion
ones?

Ron Wiebe
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:07:53 AM

"Splat" <spamspamspamspamSPAAAAAMMMMM!> writes:
> Ron Wiebe wrote:
> > After reading several positive reviews on portable recording on a
> > Jukebox 3, I was looking into getting one. However, it seeems that
> > they are no longer available. Is there any other HD based MP3
> > players that do a good job at recording 44.1 wav files? The original
> > 20gig Nomad Jukebox is available for a good price directly from
> > Creative. Has anyone used on of these or have any other sugestions?
>
> The Sony Hi-MD walkmans can record and play back in uncompressed PCM format,
> or a # of other formats. My buddy's got the $400 model and he loves it. I'm
> saving up for one now, myself. I highly suggest you take a look.

But can they get uncompressed PCM to the computer in less tan realtime
and without an ADDA conversation? I've never been able to get a
straight answer from anyone on that regarding HiMD stuff, but would
welcome it!

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:12:08 AM

On 22 Jul 2005 18:04:30 -0400, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

>I've been looking for a more "professional" replacement ever since I
>got a Jukebox 3 to replace my DAT. I'm still looking. The current
>options are either no more professional than what I have now or cost
>more (and do more) than what I want. I'd love to gut a Jukebox, put it
>in a sturdy aluminum box, add a mic preamp and XLR connectors, but
>then I'd have as much time in it as if I bought a Sound Devices or
>something.
>
>When I put aside my fears of the mini input plug working loose when
>I'm not looking and use decent mics and preamp with it, I'm entirely
>satisfied with the recordings I make with it. I just wish it was more
>of a pro piece of gear and less like a throw-away music player, but it
>isn't.

Do I understand correctly that you must be able to touch the
Jukebox 3 to work it? If not, mounting it in a Hammond cast
aluminum box, flying leads to rugged box-mounted jacks, etc.
and generally treating it as if it were a bare hard-drive
might work.

But, if must touch it, then maybe some modification of the
cast box widget idea might help. Maybe a rigid, handholdable,
backplate to which the Jukebox thingy and rugged jacks to
interface it to the outside world are rigidly attached. Maybe
some protection for the connectors to the Jukebox from hand
contact, including immobilizing the jack/plug interface.

Sometime soon, there may be no such thing as "professional"
and "portable" in the same widget. If that's already happened,
hopefully, good workarounds are still possible. At least if
you don't count the cash value of your time cooking one up.

Thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"Said 'Hey Baby, did you get that letter?
If you take me back, I'll treat you better.'
Nobody's business but my own,
But my own." -John Hurt
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 4:12:09 AM

"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote in
message news:hp03e1pcq40ag2llspm4qf2fi8cmcj6us6@4ax.com

> Do I understand correctly that you must be able to touch
> the Jukebox 3 to work it? If not, mounting it in a
> Hammond cast aluminum box, flying leads to rugged
> box-mounted jacks, etc. and generally treating it as if
> it were a bare hard-drive
> might work.

There is a wired remote, but I don't know if it is
full-function enough.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:05:57 AM

Todd H. wrote:

> But can they get uncompressed PCM to the computer in less tan realtime
> and without an ADDA conversation? I've never been able to get a
> straight answer from anyone on that regarding HiMD stuff, but would
> welcome it!

Yes and yes. The USB transfer time is not blazing fast,
still limited by reading a relatively slow medium, but a few
times better than real time.

Caveat: They play games with how many times you can
digitally upload your own recordings via USB. The second
time, they erase it for you from the disk. What you can do,
however, is perform the second and any subsequent transfers,
should any be necessasary, by playing the recording from the
device with the app that comes with it and recording that in
real time via software like TotalRecorder. This is a bit
perfect transfer method and you can do it as many times as
you wish.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:24:04 AM

> Can the JB3 use regular AA batterties as well as the
> propriatory Lithium Ion ones?

Not internally. There's the usual DC power jack for the
external charger/eliminator, and you can hook up an external
battery pack through it.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:49:45 AM

In article <hp03e1pcq40ag2llspm4qf2fi8cmcj6us6@4ax.com> chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net writes:

> Do I understand correctly that you must be able to touch the
> Jukebox 3 to work it?

There's some kind of remote for it, but I don't have one and I've
never seen one. I'm sure it doesn't do a lot more than start and stop.

PMI imported a gizmo for a while that was like a docking station for a
Walkman-sized recorder. It had XLR mic connectors going to a pigtail
with a mini plug, more battery power, a full sized headphone jack
(also going to a pigtail to a mini plug) and a place to stick the
recorder down with Velcro. It cost too much, but it was kind of
clever. Still, it doesn't eliminate the mini plugs, it just protects
them a little.

> Sometime soon, there may be no such thing as "professional"
> and "portable" in the same widget. If that's already happened,
> hopefully, good workarounds are still possible. At least if
> you don't count the cash value of your time cooking one up.

Well, they keep skating around it. The trouble is that the trend seems
to be toward solid state media (flash memory cards) which can't
compare to the storage capacity and cost per recorded minute of hard
drives. The Marantz PMD?660 looks pretty nice and is priced fairly but
I want to have enough recording capacity so that I don't have to dump
the memory (or have a lot of ca$h invested in short term storage)
immediately after a recording. At a conservative 1 MB per hour (24-bit
44.1 kHz stereo) it would take a few 8 MB flash cards to do a
weekend's worth of recording. When 8 MB flash cards cost $25, I'll
think about it.

July 23, 2005 2:03:32 PM

In article <znr1122079216k@trad> mrivers@d-and-d.com (that's me) writes:

> At a conservative 1 MB per hour (24-bit
> 44.1 kHz stereo) it would take a few 8 MB flash cards to do a
> weekend's worth of recording. When 8 MB flash cards cost $25, I'll
> think about it.

I of course meant to type GB. But I suppose it's too late to avoid
abuse and embarassment now. Go for it, Phil!

August 23, 2005 6:20:56 AM

Bob Cain <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:

>Caveat: They play games with how many times you can
>digitally upload your own recordings via USB. The second
>time, they erase it for you from the disk.

This is thankfully no longer true in SonicStage version 3.2. Sony
appear to be actually listening to their users. Now if they would only
do away with the need for a software application entirely.

With PCM recording, MP3 support, upload conversion to plain-old WAV
files, and other enhancements, the usability of MD has increased
dramatically over the last year.

-----
robin
noisetheatre.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:36:22 PM

"robin" <escalation746@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Bob Cain <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:
>
> >Caveat: They play games with how many times you can
> >digitally upload your own recordings via USB. The second
> >time, they erase it for you from the disk.
>
> This is thankfully no longer true in SonicStage version 3.2. Sony
> appear to be actually listening to their users. Now if they would only
> do away with the need for a software application entirely.
>
> With PCM recording, MP3 support, upload conversion to plain-old WAV
> files, and other enhancements, the usability of MD has increased
> dramatically over the last year.

Does this mean that you can upload via USB as many times as you wish with
any MD recorder if you upgrade the drivers/software?

I am asuming that this is a free download.

Ron Wiebe
August 29, 2005 9:34:28 PM

Ron Wiebe wrote:

>Does this mean that you can upload via USB as many times as you wish with
>any MD recorder if you upgrade the drivers/software?
>
>I am asuming that this is a free download.

Yes, it is. No drivers change, just the SonicStage application itself.
This works with my Hi-MD recorder but I cannot absolutely say it works
with older generation MD units.

Because the upgrade process to version 3.2 is so tedious, and requires
an internet connection, a helpful minidisc.org member has created a
stand-alone installer that you can get from here:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11890

Here's how to make the MD experience a lot nicer.

1. Grab this full installer.
2. Copy it to your MD using regular old drag'n'drop.
3. On any new computer you can transfer the app to the host machine
using drag'n'drop with no software required.
4. Install SonicStage.
5. Use SonicStage to transfer audio files at will.

-----
robin
noisetheatre.blogspot.com
!