Modem and NIC problem MSI 865PE NEO-2 LS

xeoph

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2003
I just got my new computer all put together and got winxp pro installed. I pop in the MSI driver cd and in the driver selection it doesnt show anything. So I go and browse the cd and install the chipset drivers. Then it detects a network adapter.
I point the device manager to the dir with my network drivers and it doesnt find the right drivers so I look for my specific network driver and its not even in the folder, so i cancel.
I install my video drivers and modem drivers and restart.
I get back into the device manager and look at what hardware is still unrecognized and there are two things. SM Bus Controller and Network Adapter.
I get the drivers off of the MSI webpage for the chipset and install the newer version and drivers for the SM Bus Controller are installed. I extract the NIC drivers and I point the device manager to the right dir (winxp32) and it still doesnt detect the NIC. From that point Im stuck.

Now for the modem. It installed properly and responds and even dials up. But, when it is almost finished connecting to my ISP it will give an error. "computer you are trying to dial isnt responding" try again, "there is an incoming call" no there isnt try again, wow it connected, disconnects and says "the computer you have dialed into stoped responding"...

I have used this modem for about a year. It still works in my parents computer, but not in my new board. There older modem works in my new board connects and works fine. So both work but I think somehow the modem is conflicting in the MSI board. Any suggestions?
Mark

MSI 865PE NEO-2 LS
Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB
512MB Corsair XMS DDR 400
GeForce FX 5900 256MB
Broadxent DSI v.92 modem
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
120GB Maxtor Diamond 9 SATA
48X12X48X16 LiteOn CDRW/DVD combo

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's possible that the modem is conflicting with something ON the board, you should try putting it in another slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>