Which Guitar Recording Amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Michael L.

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Michael,

Much to the horror of many a self-aggrandizing amp hustler here-

For recording, technology has enabled bypass of the guitar amp. IF
you've got the right signal chain, you can go straight into the board
and ROCK.

Live playing in a large venue, tube amps still rule.

There's no shortage of hateful geezers in complete denial about this.
Live, laugh, love and TRUST your OWN EARS.

Regards,

Marc
(Amps: '59 Tweed R.I. Bassman 5F6A, and '80 MusicMan HD210 One*Fifty)
These are completely unnecessary for recording, but fun to record with,
if (Shure SM57) mic'd in a soundproof studio.

Michael wrote:
> I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
> Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
> style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
> preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
> pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
> I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
> one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
> one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
> than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Michael L.

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Check out the Crate V32. Lots of class A tone, channel switching, cool
looking.
DaveT

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Interesting that you think 15-30 watt amps are recording amps (unless you're
in a soundproof studio or don't need to worry about neighbors). I always
think of "recording amps" as a few watts, like the Fargen Bastage (described
as a recording/bedroom amp, 4 watts) or an Emery Superbaby (6-12 I think,
depending on which power tube). Me, I'd get an Emery Superbaby (cool choice
of power tubes) or a THD Univalve (with built-in attenuator) for recordning.
They're a bit more than your budget though.
--
Phil Wilson

In article <gHqEe.157925$go.114732@fed1read05> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?U=5FNatural=5F=DForn=5F=DEussy?= writes:

> For recording, technology has enabled bypass of the guitar amp. IF
> you've got the right signal chain, you can go straight into the board
> and ROCK.

That might be a solution to the recording technology, but it doesn't
help the playing psychology. Hearing your guitar come out of the
control room monitors (with the added latency of the software) is
rarely as satisfying as hearing it come out of an instrument
amplifier, even a small one, in the conventional position.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Phil:

I have no worries about neighbors so a 15-30 watt is fine.

I think the Emery Superbaby you mention is made by the same guy who
created the ADA Rocket A20R. I really want to get feedback on this amp
(no pun intended) comparing it with the other amps I mentioned.

Thanks,

Michael L.

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Mesa Mark series combo (probably Mark III in your range), but MUST have
optional EQ and Reverb. Look for the 60W model, it has a better
sounding speaker, and 60W in that amp will get gig levels, anyway. No
need for 100W. Going rate seems to be about $700, but you may find one
at $600. This amp will do NICE clean with reverb, all the way to insane
gain. Toss those distortion stomp boxes!

Michael wrote:
> I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
> Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
> style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
> preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
> pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
> I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
> one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
> one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
> than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Michael L.

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

about 5 years ago i was in a "rock" band. the best sound i found for
distortion was a marshall 900 series amp. i had the anniversary model
but i believe any of the 900 series will give you that great rock
sound. its got great attack and defined punchy bottoms. very live and
exciting to hear. no wonder so many people use them for rock. you can
maybe get one for $400 used.

currently i use a lot of clean guitar (strat deluxe plus) and i think
the fender twin reissue kills for clean. kills the mesa stuff, kills
the marshall (marshalls clean tone blows in my humble opinion, at least
in thier tube stuff). i auditioned everything in guitar center and no
one was even close.

they cost about a grand new maybe used for $600.

i guess this isn't a huge revelation. both of those amps are staples
for thier dirty and clean tones respectively.

i really can't chime in on the guitar processor discussion. except that
i haven't personally ever heard a processor that sounded like an amp.
they always sound at least a little different to me. less live, less
punchy, more controlled. now thats not to say bad. some people like
that sound. and i haven't made an effort to listen to every processor
out there either.

i don't think there is anything in am amp that can get both of these
tones so you may have to choose (or go with some type of simulation
software). also the idea of throwing a pedal on a clean amp and getting
a great dirty tone seems unlikey.

the marshall and fender i mentioned are engineered very differently. i
doubt any pedal will take you from one to the other.

you may be able to look for amps with marshall 900 and fender twin-ish
sound that are less expensive.

my 2 cents.

my 2 cents.

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

I don't complete disagree with the "DI rocks" statement but there are
certain sounds that are hard to get with a simulator. Clean guitars and in
many cases heavily distorted guitars can on many occasion sound better using
a simulator but everything in between are harder to get. Especially if
you´re trying to do only slightly chunchy guitars which will be mixed loudly
in the final cut. It's not so much that they sound artificial but more that
they simple don't have the same "in your face" feel as the real thing. For
those reasons I would pick an amp with a good crunchy sound more than a very
versatile one because the rest can be done quite well with a plugin, a Sans
amp or some of the equivalents.
"U_Natural_ßorn_Þussy" <mister@yourthroat.edu> skrev i en meddelelse
> Michael,
>
> Much to the horror of many a self-aggrandizing amp hustler here-
>
> For recording, technology has enabled bypass of the guitar amp. IF you've
> got the right signal chain, you can go straight into the board and ROCK.
>
> Live playing in a large venue, tube amps still rule.
>
> There's no shortage of hateful geezers in complete denial about this.
> Live, laugh, love and TRUST your OWN EARS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc
> (Amps: '59 Tweed R.I. Bassman 5F6A, and '80 MusicMan HD210 One*Fifty)
> These are completely unnecessary for recording, but fun to record with, if
> (Shure SM57) mic'd in a soundproof studio.
>
> Michael wrote:
>> I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
>> Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
>> style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
>> preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
>> pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
>> I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
>> one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
>> one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
>> than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>>
>> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Michael L.

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

If you want good clean tone, lose the Lace pickups...

On 23 Jul 2005 02:27:06 -0700, "Michael" <mustang3@mediaone.net> wrote:

>I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
>Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
>style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
>preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
>pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
>I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
>one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
>one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
>than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>
>Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
>Michael L.

your name here!

malachi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

What I find myself doing more and more is to record the guitar direct with a
good preamp clean to a track and then trying various amp simulators to get
the right sound (in the mix).

Then, if I can't tweak the sound I want with virtual amp models, I send the
guitar track out to a real live amp and mic the amp (reamping) to get the
sound I'm looking for.

I use a Fender Cybertwin amp for this purpose. I find that I really don't
like the sound of this amp with an acutal guitar plugged into it, but for
some reason it works great for reamping.

malachi

"HKC" <henrikkrogh@mail.dk> wrote in message
>I don't complete disagree with the "DI rocks" statement but there are
>certain sounds that are hard to get with a simulator. Clean guitars and in
>many cases heavily distorted guitars can on many occasion sound better
>using a simulator but everything in between are harder to get. Especially
>if you´re trying to do only slightly chunchy guitars which will be mixed
>loudly in the final cut. It's not so much that they sound artificial but
>more that they simple don't have the same "in your face" feel as the real
>thing. For those reasons I would pick an amp with a good crunchy sound more
>than a very versatile one because the rest can be done quite well with a
>plugin, a Sans amp or some of the equivalents.
> "U_Natural_ßorn_Þussy" <mister@yourthroat.edu> skrev i en meddelelse
>> Michael,
>>
>> Much to the horror of many a self-aggrandizing amp hustler here-
>>
>> For recording, technology has enabled bypass of the guitar amp. IF you've
>> got the right signal chain, you can go straight into the board and ROCK.
>>
>> Live playing in a large venue, tube amps still rule.
>>
>> There's no shortage of hateful geezers in complete denial about this.
>> Live, laugh, love and TRUST your OWN EARS.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Marc
>> (Amps: '59 Tweed R.I. Bassman 5F6A, and '80 MusicMan HD210 One*Fifty)
>> These are completely unnecessary for recording, but fun to record with,
>> if (Shure SM57) mic'd in a soundproof studio.
>>
>> Michael wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
>>> Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
>>> style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
>>> preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
>>> pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
>>> I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
>>> one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
>>> one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
>>> than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>>>
>>> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Michael L.

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Sounds cool Malachi. I think maybe you just found a niche for that amp!

Michael wrote:

> I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
> Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
> style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
> preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
> pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
> I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
> one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
> one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
> than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Michael L.

We really don't know what you need yet. My guess is the
Classic 30, or the Blues Jr.

Then again, a Marshall valvestate can be a fine recording
amp.

--
Les Cargill

U_Natural_ßorn_Þussy wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Much to the horror of many a self-aggrandizing amp hustler here-
>
> For recording, technology has enabled bypass of the guitar amp. IF
> you've got the right signal chain, you can go straight into the board
> and ROCK.
>
> Live playing in a large venue, tube amps still rule.
>
> There's no shortage of hateful geezers in complete denial about this.
> Live, laugh, love and TRUST your OWN EARS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc
> (Amps: '59 Tweed R.I. Bassman 5F6A, and '80 MusicMan HD210 One*Fifty)
> These are completely unnecessary for recording, but fun to record with,
> if (Shure SM57) mic'd in a soundproof studio.
>
> Michael wrote:
> > I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
> > Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
> > style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
> > preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
> > pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
> > I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
> > one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
> > one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
> > than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
> >
> > Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Michael L.

Yeah maybe if your talking about amateur home recording.

Walk into any pro studio and it's 99% tube.

Chris

Phil Wilson wrote:
> Interesting that you think 15-30 watt amps are recording amps (unless you're
> in a soundproof studio or don't need to worry about neighbors). I always
> think of "recording amps" as a few watts, like the Fargen Bastage (described
> as a recording/bedroom amp, 4 watts) or an Emery Superbaby (6-12 I think,
> depending on which power tube). Me, I'd get an Emery Superbaby (cool choice
> of power tubes) or a THD Univalve (with built-in attenuator) for recordning.
> They're a bit more than your budget though.
> --
> Phil Wilson
>
> "Michael" <mustang3@mediaone.net> wrote in message
> > I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
> > Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
> > style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
> > preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
> > pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
> > I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
> > one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
> > one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
> > than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
> >
> > Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Michael L.

Am I the only person on this NG who when someone mentions playing live
doesn't think of the local open mic blues jam and when someone mentions
recording doesn't immefiately think of sitting in front of their home
computer playing to a drum machine?

When I think live I think 1000 capacity venue packed.

When i think recording I think pro studio 2" tape.

Chris

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Great. SWWC

Guncho wrote:

> U_Natural_ßorn_Þussy wrote:
>
>>Michael,
>>
>>Much to the horror of many a self-aggrandizing amp hustler here-
>>
>>For recording, technology has enabled bypass of the guitar amp. IF
>>you've got the right signal chain, you can go straight into the board
>>and ROCK.
>>
>>Live playing in a large venue, tube amps still rule.
>>
>>There's no shortage of hateful geezers in complete denial about this.
>>Live, laugh, love and TRUST your OWN EARS.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Marc
>>(Amps: '59 Tweed R.I. Bassman 5F6A, and '80 MusicMan HD210 One*Fifty)
>>These are completely unnecessary for recording, but fun to record with,
>>if (Shure SM57) mic'd in a soundproof studio.
>>
>>Michael wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
>>>Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
>>>style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
>>>preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
>>>pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
>>>I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
>>>one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
>>>one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
>>>than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>>>
>>>Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>>Michael L.
>>>

> Yeah maybe if your talking about amateur home recording.
>
> Walk into any pro studio and it's 99% tube.
>
> Chris

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

That's because your "thinking" is *incredibly* myopic and limited.

Guncho wrote:

> Am I the only person on this NG who when someone mentions playing live
> doesn't think of the local open mic blues jam and when someone mentions
> recording doesn't immefiately think of sitting in front of their home
> computer playing to a drum machine?
>
> When I think live I think 1000 capacity venue packed.
>
> When i think recording I think pro studio 2" tape.

No offense intended here, but i really have to question how often you do
either.

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,alt.guitar.amps (More info?)

Pignose.

Don't laugh. Try it.
You'll be absolutely shocked.
--scott

Michael wrote:
> I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
> Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
> style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
> preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
> pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
> I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
> one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
> one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
> than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Michael L.

I consider myself a guitarist as well as an audio engineer...but
definately a guitarist before anything....the BEST sounding amp I've
ever found by far is the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia ....it's also a very small
amp...I think only about 15-20 watts. I've heard that other Dr. Z amps
such as the Maz series and others sound just as good or better. I could
not find one single flaw with this amp. The tone controls truly "shape"
the tone and not "warp" it.....I swear it is impossible to make this amp
sound harsh and brittle or muddy and dull.....the tone knob sweeps from
round and bassy to crisp and sparkly....really I can't recommend this
amp enough.

Anyhow, I truly believe that a great sound "on tape" starts with a great
sound in the ears. So if the amp sounds great and you're a mildly
compotent engineer you'll get a great recording. Anyhow, just my $.02

Jonny Durango

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Michael wrote:

> I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
> Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
> style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
> preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
> pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
> I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
> one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
> one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
> than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Michael L.

The ADA is a very responsive little amp, get it, and it it doesn't do
everything you need, you can always sell it or get a second amp down the
road. The Pro JR is a nice little amp, or get a Mesa Boogie 22+ Caliber
which is a great all around amp with recording out.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Pignose.
>
> Don't laugh. Try it.
> You'll be absolutely shocked.
> --scott

I like the way you can change the tone by opening the back different
amounts (or not at all). However the volume control gets too loud too
fast to adjust easily.

Guncho wrote:

> Phil Wilson wrote:
>
>>Interesting that you think 15-30 watt amps are recording amps (unless you're
>>in a soundproof studio or don't need to worry about neighbors). I always
>>think of "recording amps" as a few watts, like the Fargen Bastage (described
>>as a recording/bedroom amp, 4 watts) or an Emery Superbaby (6-12 I think,
>>depending on which power tube). Me, I'd get an Emery Superbaby (cool choice
>>of power tubes) or a THD Univalve (with built-in attenuator) for recordning.
>>They're a bit more than your budget though.
>>--
>>Phil Wilson
>>
>>"Michael" <mustang3@mediaone.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm looking for a guitar amp that's good for recording mostly a Fender
>>>Strat Plus with Lace Sensors and a Gibson Les Paul with PAF's. Music
>>>style is mostly pop-rock, rock, and blues. Good clean tone is more
>>>preferable than good distortion since I can get good distortion with
>>>pedals. Although, good of both is ideal. My budget is up to $600.
>>>I'm considering ADA Rocket A20R (a rare amp--I have a chance to snag
>>>one), Peavey Classic 30, Fender Pro Jr., and Fender Blues Jr. Which
>>>one do you recommend? I heard the ADA is very good. Is it way better
>>>than the others mentioned? Any others worth considering?
>>>
>>>Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>>Michael L.
>>>

> Am I the only person on this NG who when someone mentions playing live
> doesn't think of the local open mic blues jam and when someone mentions
> recording doesn't immefiately think of sitting in front of their home
> computer playing to a drum machine?
>
> When I think live I think 1000 capacity venue packed.
>
> When i think recording I think pro studio 2" tape.
>
> Chris

That's good thinking, but it might be 20 years out of date.

The going got weird, and the weird turned pro.

Especially with respect to "pro studio 2\" tape". And
you might get a thousand people into a Hard Rock Cafe,
but...

--
Les Cargill

jdavyd williams wrote:
> Guncho wrote:
> >

> > Am I the only person on this NG who when someone mentions playing live
> > doesn't think of the local open mic blues jam and when someone mentions
> > recording doesn't immefiately think of sitting in front of their home
> > computer playing to a drum machine?
> >
> > When I think live I think 1000 capacity venue packed.
> >
> > When i think recording I think pro studio 2" tape.
>
> No offense intended here, but i really have to question how often you do
> either.

I've played many gigs at the top venues in Vancouver and Toronto and
recorded in a few pro studios.

www.garageband.com/starstar
www.garageband.com/chrisgunter

www.horseshoetavern.com
www.s2n.net

Chris

Les Cargill wrote:
> Guncho wrote:
>

> > Phil Wilson wrote:
> >
> >>Interesting that you think 15-30 watt amps are recording amps (unless you're
> >>in a soundproof studio or don't need to worry about neighbors). I always
> >>think of "recording amps" as a few watts, like the Fargen Bastage (described
> >>as a recording/bedroom amp, 4 watts) or an Emery Superbaby (6-12 I think,
> >>depending on which power tube). Me, I'd get an Emery Superbaby (cool choice
> >>of power tubes) or a THD Univalve (with built-in attenuator) for recordning.
> >>They're a bit more than your budget though.
> >>--
> >>Phil Wilson
> >>
> >>"Michael" <mustang3@mediaone.net> wrote in message

> > Am I the only person on this NG who when someone mentions playing live
> > doesn't think of the local open mic blues jam and when someone mentions
> > recording doesn't immefiately think of sitting in front of their home
> > computer playing to a drum machine?
> >
> > When I think live I think 1000 capacity venue packed.
> >
> > When i think recording I think pro studio 2" tape.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> That's good thinking, but it might be 20 years out of date.
>
> The going got weird, and the weird turned pro.
>
> Especially with respect to "pro studio 2\" tape". And
> you might get a thousand people into a Hard Rock Cafe,
> but...
>
> --
> Les Cargill

What's 20 years out of date?