Your question

Audigy 2 OEM or Audigy 1

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • OEM
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 9, 2003 6:23:00 PM

Well Im trying to decide which card to get (I know this is similar to some of the other posts, so forgive me) Im a high school student so as youve probably guessed I dont have a lot of money to throw into a new comp. Im wondering whether to get the Audigy 1 or Audigy 2 OEM as I can get them for both about the same price. I dont know what to expect from an OEM version (this is the first time that I will build my own comp), I suppose it is a fine investment, but was wondering if anyone would have any info that might prove valuable to me. Thanks.

More about : audigy oem audigy

August 10, 2003 9:53:39 AM

IMHO you'd be better off with Audigy2 because (in terms of sound quality and real 24-bit playback and recording capabilities) Audigy2 is a whole lot better than the Audigy. The OEM versions of computer parts usually lack the packaging and any extra software bundle (besides the driver CD). It's normally no big deal unless you plan to use a certain program bundled with the non-OEM package.
August 10, 2003 12:25:07 PM

as an audigy 2 owner, i can tell you i love the card...i can also tell you i've never touched any of the software other than the driver cd.
Related resources
August 11, 2003 1:39:06 AM

i'm using motherboard audio still, does audigy 2 makes a <font color=red> very </font color=red> huge difference even using 2.1 speakers.

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>
August 11, 2003 1:40:52 AM

i've never experience a creative sound card before, so i'm also excited in purchasing one.

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>
August 12, 2003 1:49:09 AM

ok, thanks, I'll probably just go with the audigy 2 OEM, that seems to be the general opinion. Besides I already have a nomad jukebox, and it came with the creative playcenter, i think that is one of the software that comes with the regular version, I just wasnt too sure about OEM products, but i guess its ok, thanks
August 12, 2003 6:44:36 AM

I'd say if you take an Audigy 2 you'd better be off with a 5.1 of 6.1 sound setup. Not much use connecting a flimsy 2.1 system to such a sound card. I have the Inspire 6.1 system from Creative and these speakers are pretty damn solid.

Is it a bad thing if there is smoke coming out of my case?
August 14, 2003 12:33:55 PM

Er... no mate. Since when has 2.1 been flimsy?

If you want the highest audio quality then Audigy 2 is a great card no matter how many speakers you have. Plus Audigy offers many features other than the multi speaker support. The other thing is that many people dont have the room or situation to be able to place 6.1 or 5.1 speakers so at least they can upgrade to this in the future.

I am not saying that you can fully benefit from the card with 2.1 speakers because obviously the things like Advanced HD and surround sound playback cannot be experienced to their full potential but to describe 2.1 as flimsy is just wrong. After all I would rather have 2 big Celestion floor standers connected to my card together with a big yamaha sub rather than some cheap £60 5.1 speakers. After all quality is what Audigy is all about.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :) 
August 14, 2003 9:47:56 PM

Sorry, flimsy for 2.1 speakers is a wrong word, I meant that you can't get all of your sound card juice on a 2.1 system. And yes, 6.1 speakers are hard to install around the room sometimes (you should see my mess).

Is it a bad thing if there is smoke coming out of my case?
!