Network controller issues and no internet

jaenglish

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
So recently I was having issues with my internet due to comcast doing work in my area but just around when they finished up, I got a whole new problem. My internet was working fine earlier yesterday, but all the sudden it just stopped working. I checked device manager and there are a bunch of unrecognized "network controllers" that have no drivers. This confused me because I never uninstalled anything. I tried to find a CD or something that would have drivers on it for this but I don't have any. A system restore didn't help either. I can't update drivers from the internet because I don't have internet and I don't know what drivers to get anyway. How can I check what drivers I need for the network controllers?

two easy ways..one use cpu-z read the mb info...google the mb info to find the mb vendor and drivers..
or under the network device you need...if you look there is a line called device hardware id. it give you a sting on letters and number. google that and you find the drivers you need.

jaenglish

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

For the second option, where do I look to find the line hardware ID? I'm not really sure what your talking about :pt1cable:

I'm trying the first now though.

under the Device Manager select a device to get its properties page.

On this page, you should have a tab called Details.

On the Details tab, you should have a drop down list with an option called Hardware Ids.

The hardware ID should list the maker and the cards function in a way humans can not read :)

The VEN_XXXX is the actual hardware makers

so 1002 = ATI
10EC = Realtek
ect

Now that does not always run it down enough.

So look at the next part, you should have a DEV_XXXX section

So

VEN_954F = ATI 4350
VEN_8168 = PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Family Controller Realtek
VEN_0892 = Realtek HD Audio

To make like easier many devices are listed here

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

and a walk through for the process here.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-find-unknown-device-drivers-by-their-vendor-device-id/

After you use CPU-Z it is not likely that you will need to do method 2.

jaenglish

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

It shows 4 Hardware IDs. However, all of them have the same VEN and DEV. Neither of the VEN or DEV values are in the pcidatabase though.

Shilogirl

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

Thank you so much! I've been trying for quite some time to update a driver with no internet connection and nothing worked. Once I read your "under the network device you need...if you look there is a line called device hardware id. it give you a sting on letters and number. google that and you find the drivers you need." it was a matter of minutes and I found the driver on a different computer with an internet connection, downloaded it to a CD and installed on the other computer. I am now up and running on the "problem computer"! Thank you very much!

Go ahead and mark it solved and choose the best answer so that we (forum helpers) will know that you are taken care of :) :D

LengthyWarfare

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

Uh, I have same prolem, and I can't donwload anything couse, you know, NO INTERNET.

Haydn97

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Using another computer you can find the drivers and install them to a disk or USB flash drive and install it tovyour computer that way

TRENDING THREADS