Sign in with
Your question

Problems with computer shutting down randomly

Last response: in Components
August 9, 2003 11:40:13 PM

Well, mostly randomly. I have found a couple of ways of doing it on purpose.

My system:
Epox 8k7a+ mb
AMD Athlon XP 1600 (not overclocked)
2 sticks of 128 MB Crucial DDR RAM
Geforce 2 w/ 64 mb of DDR Ram
Windows XP

Ive been running this system for at least a year and a half and never had a single freeze up or error until recently.

The problems now come in 3 flavors:

1. Computer randomly shuts itself completely off.
2. Computer randomly reboots itself.
3. Computer seems to freeze up and monitor puts itself into hibernation mode as tho the computer were off, but the lights on the computer are all still lit.

Until recently Ive run a 400 watt power supply. Thinking it might be the problem, I switched over to an extra power supply I had lying around, only 300 watt. But it hasnt really seemed to make much of a difference.

Now I say the problems are random. Alot of the time they are. But Ive found some unusual situations where I can make it happen on command. Running Asherons Call 2, as soon as it gets to the character creation screen will cause it to either shut down or reboot. And actually while surfing the web for a solution to the program, I found a website that every single time I tried to go there, would cause the computer so reboot itself.

Im not sure if it has anything to do with the same problem, but Ive also recently been having problems keeping my computer connected to dsl. It will stay connected all day and then drop connection and not reconnect, as tho the modem were off. Rebooting the system often allows it to make the connection again.

Im leaning towards it still being a power problem of some type, but I know next to nothing about that part of computer hardware.

Anyone have any ideas?
August 10, 2003 12:19:38 AM

Some ideas.

1) Check all your cable and power connections are firm. You did the for sure already, but double check the IDE connectors. If you have spares your might try replacing them.

2) Try one memory stick at a time.

3) Any funny sounds from your disk drive?
Are you sure it has space/defragged cleaned up lately?
Have you run any diagnostics on the disk? (Like looking
for bad sectors)(Usually downloadable from HD vendor).

4) Did you do anything to your machines before your troubles began? Add, change or upgrade components?

5) Have you tried running without unnecessary components
like the CD.

6) Have you reseated your add on cards and memory.

7) Do the voltages in the Bios look out of line?

8) Does the temperature in the Bios look abnormal?

9) Do the capacitors or the coils on your mobo look damaged.
<A HREF="http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images" target="_new"> Bad caps </A>

The loving are the daring!
August 10, 2003 6:22:39 PM

Sounds more like an OS/software/driver problem to me if it happens on such weird events while you're not maxing out the PC.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: 
Related resources
August 14, 2003 6:21:16 AM

Also test your ram with MEMTEST86. Any errors reported is bad.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
August 14, 2003 2:15:03 PM

You get any service errors inside your logbook?

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: 
!