Lesson on 169.254.*.*/incorrect WEP

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I was a concerned with the problem of bringing PCs that
had previously been setup on other Wifi networks onto a
different WiFi network. Folks were experiencing either:
(1) incorrect WEP key errors or,
(2) automatic, private IP (169.254.*.*) assignment from
Windows.

So I brought down my LAN/MN-700 and one WinXP/MN-710 to
try and duplicate these problems. I succeeded in doing
this. By changing channels on the base station, the
WinXP/MN-710 immediately lost connection to the LAN. The
WinXP/MN-710 then connected to a second, dummy MN-700 I
had setup on the same channel, but a different WEP key,
for this purpose. After a hardwire reset to the original
LAN base station, the channel was changed back. The
dummy MN-700 was powered down.

Now however, I was unable to connect via the WinXP/MN-710
to the LAN. I received the "incorrect WEP key" error. I
also received a Windows-generated automatic, private IP
(169.254.*.*). I tried a number of times. The WEP key
had not changed for my LAN, but I could not connect after
a few tries. Finally, after more minutes passed the MBNU
indicated I had "connected". It takes this long.
Minutes.

Then I tried accessing the WAN/Internet, but could not.
I still had the automatic, private IP assigned to the
WinXP/MN-710. I tried to "RENEW". After a couple on
minutes, I was again assigned the same automatic, private
IP. Hmmm.

It turns out the solution was to "ADD" the base station's
router gateway IP to the configuration. You can do this
even under "Obtain IP automatically" under the "Advanced"
tab. After this a software "RESET" to the base station
via the "Base Station Management Tool" allowed me
to "RENEW" to a DHCP server-assigned IP.

The WinXp/Mn-710 is now fully connected. Patience in
allowing WIndows and the WiFi to establish contact seems
important. It is not an instantaneous process.

Hope thid helps!

joker

Uninstall the Broadband networking utility. And use Windows XP to
configure the wireless connection. The Broadband networking utility has
some issues like the one you just mentioned on Windows XP. Seeing as
Windows XP is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless
networking you can use Windows instead.

Ken wrote:

> I was a concerned with the problem of bringing PCs that
> had previously been setup on other Wifi networks onto a
> different WiFi network. Folks were experiencing either:
> (1) incorrect WEP key errors or,
> (2) automatic, private IP (169.254.*.*) assignment from
> Windows.
>
> So I brought down my LAN/MN-700 and one WinXP/MN-710 to
> try and duplicate these problems. I succeeded in doing
> this. By changing channels on the base station, the
> WinXP/MN-710 immediately lost connection to the LAN. The
> WinXP/MN-710 then connected to a second, dummy MN-700 I
> had setup on the same channel, but a different WEP key,
> for this purpose. After a hardwire reset to the original
> LAN base station, the channel was changed back. The
> dummy MN-700 was powered down.
>
> Now however, I was unable to connect via the WinXP/MN-710
> to the LAN. I received the "incorrect WEP key" error. I
> also received a Windows-generated automatic, private IP
> (169.254.*.*). I tried a number of times. The WEP key
> had not changed for my LAN, but I could not connect after
> a few tries. Finally, after more minutes passed the MBNU
> indicated I had "connected". It takes this long.
> Minutes.
>
> Then I tried accessing the WAN/Internet, but could not.
> I still had the automatic, private IP assigned to the
> WinXP/MN-710. I tried to "RENEW". After a couple on
> minutes, I was again assigned the same automatic, private
> IP. Hmmm.
>
> It turns out the solution was to "ADD" the base station's
> router gateway IP to the configuration. You can do this
> even under "Obtain IP automatically" under the "Advanced"
> tab. After this a software "RESET" to the base station
> via the "Base Station Management Tool" allowed me
> to "RENEW" to a DHCP server-assigned IP.
>
> The WinXp/Mn-710 is now fully connected. Patience in
> allowing WIndows and the WiFi to establish contact seems
> important. It is not an instantaneous process.
>
> Hope thid helps!

joker

Both of the problems you described I have only seen On windows XP
computers when Windows isn't doing the wireless connection. the
solution is use windows as it does the job properly. THe software
ignores the WZC service. The software is for OS's before XP that don't
fully support WEP.

Ken wrote:

> I was a concerned with the problem of bringing PCs that
> had previously been setup on other Wifi networks onto a
> different WiFi network. Folks were experiencing either:
> (1) incorrect WEP key errors or,
> (2) automatic, private IP (169.254.*.*) assignment from
> Windows.
>
> So I brought down my LAN/MN-700 and one WinXP/MN-710 to
> try and duplicate these problems. I succeeded in doing
> this. By changing channels on the base station, the
> WinXP/MN-710 immediately lost connection to the LAN. The
> WinXP/MN-710 then connected to a second, dummy MN-700 I
> had setup on the same channel, but a different WEP key,
> for this purpose. After a hardwire reset to the original
> LAN base station, the channel was changed back. The
> dummy MN-700 was powered down.
>
> Now however, I was unable to connect via the WinXP/MN-710
> to the LAN. I received the "incorrect WEP key" error. I
> also received a Windows-generated automatic, private IP
> (169.254.*.*). I tried a number of times. The WEP key
> had not changed for my LAN, but I could not connect after
> a few tries. Finally, after more minutes passed the MBNU
> indicated I had "connected". It takes this long.
> Minutes.
>
> Then I tried accessing the WAN/Internet, but could not.
> I still had the automatic, private IP assigned to the
> WinXP/MN-710. I tried to "RENEW". After a couple on
> minutes, I was again assigned the same automatic, private
> IP. Hmmm.
>
> It turns out the solution was to "ADD" the base station's
> router gateway IP to the configuration. You can do this
> even under "Obtain IP automatically" under the "Advanced"
> tab. After this a software "RESET" to the base station
> via the "Base Station Management Tool" allowed me
> to "RENEW" to a DHCP server-assigned IP.
>
> The WinXp/Mn-710 is now fully connected. Patience in
> allowing WIndows and the WiFi to establish contact seems
> important. It is not an instantaneous process.
>
> Hope thid helps!

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

joker,

OK, cool. You know, I was just trying to duplicate the
senario that others described so as to understand it.
I'll take your advice, though. ThanX.

Wonder how SP-2 will do? No doubt better...

joker

SP1 enables 802.1x authentication which can cause problems on wireless
connections that don't have a 802.1x server to connect to. The software
was written for computers that don't have built in support for a
wireless connection such a Windows 2000. That is why the software
doesn't work on XP. IT isn't designed to operate on XP because it isn't
needed. The problem with the 802.1x authentication is because you don't
have an 802.1x server on the network.

To solve the 802.1x problem use the MN-700 & WPA security which Windows
XP only supports after installing the needed path. The MN-700 only
becomes a 802.1x authentication server when in WPA mode.

So both problems have already been solved. One is use the proper
software to perform the connection. The other is to use the correct
hardware or purchase a dedicated server to do the 802.1x authentication.