Case Cutting

Kabome

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
I was planning on adding a window to my case and was wondering about the clearance recommended on cutting. I want to make the window as large as possible but I don't want to cut too close to the edge to effect clearing of the slide-in case panel runners as well as structure of the side panel. The last thing I need is the panel folding in half on me before I put the window in.

I have a picture of my current markings <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/kabome/markings.html" target="_new">here</A>. Tell me what you think about the space, or if you have another recommended way of adding the windows, or any experiences/opinions would be appreciated in this area as this is my first attempt at such a thing :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Gee, I thought you wanted a BIG window, that looks fine as long as you're carefull with cutting.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Kabome

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
I dunno, I was just trying to be careful, my case is not the largest either. These were the dimensions I was going to get for the acrylic, so the cut would actually be larger than that.

Oh and also, what tool do you recommend is best... besides a dremel, like which workshop tool is a good one, if I were to not do it myself, as I have some relatives who could probably be more skillful at doing sheet metal work than myself.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
you have sexy toes :smile:

At automotive shops they sell air compressor powered cut off tools...that are like a big air powered dremal...it would probably get the job done much faster and quicker than a dinky dremal drill...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have one of those! I have a cheap one I bought from a farm implement store. You have to cut a little at a time, or the heat will warp the panel.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think you actually want the acrylic to be larger than the hole.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yup very usefull...they are much more powerful than a dremal drill...although for delicate work they cannot really match up to a dremal...

I personally have never cut up my case...but i would have to immagine that the steel used is pretty hard stuff for a dremal to go through...you will probably need many cut off wheels and alot of time...

BTW...why are all side pannels made of acrylic...i have never seen a lexan side pannel...i just found that odd...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Perhaps because Lexan is expensive?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
actually i beleive lexan should be around half the price...could be lexan does not sheild RFI very well...also it is kinda flimsy...and does scratch easly...i dunno about acrylic...

But how can you resist a bullet proof case?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You must be speaking of some fairly thin stuff. People usually want their windows to be flat (glass like), not ripply, and their cases to be quiet.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i have worked with 3/16th inch stuff...compared to other materials it is very flimsy...

I dunno what thickness most cases use...but for the price i cannot immagine them being much more than half an inch...

Kabome

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
Most of the window kits I see put a rubber Window moulding in between the acrylic and the steel of the case. For this to work you need the window of the case to be smaller than the hole to allow for the extra space for the rubber. I know there's other methods of mounting a window using bolts and such but this method seems to be the easiest way of doing it.

molior

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
If you're going to do that I sugest you'll want to be buying the acrylic about the same size as the hole so you can trim to fit the rubber mounting.

Row like mortals, think like gods.

Kabome

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
Actually, I went a completely different route now, instead of adding the window to the side panel, I added the side panel to the window! :lol:

What I did is that I made a side panel for my case entirely out of acrylic, it's one big piece that I cut to fit, and made the clips for where it holds on to the front of the case and where the screw holes go in the back out of sheet aluminum.

Although I can't take all the credit, my father helped me out with it, it looks really great, can't wait to get a cold cathode tomorrow and light it up. I'll take some pics and post'em here once I get 'em. :smile:

molior

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
On that theme I was thinkin' about an <A HREF="http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa/new_case/ak_chc_spec.htm" target="_new">Akasa acrylic case</A>

Row like mortals, think like gods.

Tuskawilla

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2003
the lanboy case i bought came with a side window. the acrylic is larger than the cut hole and has some stubs that hold it in place. I like the idea of cutting the acrylic to fit the side of the case and adhering it to the inside of the side panel. i just think the use of a rubber seal sits less flush with the side than like the lanboy or someother inside mount of the acrylic

Kabome

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
Well, I finished my little project, here's the result:

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/kabome/pics2.html" target="_new">http://www.geocities.com/kabome/pics2.html</A>

It's still a work in progress so I will probably be adding miscellaneous other things over the weeks to come. Do tell me what you think of my current result, and do remember, the side panel IS on the case :smile: It's kind of hard to see but you can see the small brackets holding the panel to the case at the front, and the two brackets for the screws at the back.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i cannot even see that you have the sidepannel on the case...it is a cool look though....especially with all the mesmorizeing lights!

How many bits are in a nibble?