gebbly

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Recently built a new PC and used an old hard disk with an OS on (win2k). Everything worked fine.
I decided to put a new hard disk in to replace the (by now particularly old) previous hard disk.

I have installed an IBM 120XP.

Once BIOS has started up it recognises the new drive and gives its details correctly so it must be getting power and data should be travelling down the data cable.

However after the initial bios diagnostics checking drives and controller cards etc on the screen I get a blank screen except for :

"Disk I/O error: Status=00008051
Failed to arcread the boot partition to check for a
disk signature "

Has anyone seen this before?
I've tried switching it with the cd-rom drive so that it is on the primary IDE connector to the motherboard.

I've tried booting from the win2k cd and going into repair console and running FIXMBR. Win2k repair console recognises the drive and allows me to select it as the one to repair and then reports that there was a faulty MBR when I attempt to fix it. It then reports succesfully creating a new MBR. But this still results in the same error at bootup.

I cant try and ignore the error and continue with installing the OS because part way through the initial stages of getting the boot process kicked off (one of the many blue menu screens) It just says :

"Disk I/O error: Status=00008051"

and wont let me proceed.

Has anyone got any ideas about this as I'm stumped. I've found a few references to failures to arcread floating around the web but none of them match the particular disk i/o error I get.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
1)
<A HREF="http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm" target="_new">http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm</A>

Maybe something there to help.

2) Also make sure that the jumpers are set to "Master" or if set to that switch to "Cable Select". Try switching them around.

3) If you have windows 95/98/ME boot diskettes you might consider trying to use the commmand: <b> fdisk /MBR </b>
although some people consider this dangerous so last resort stuff only ok? Then try looking at the disk with "fdisk".

4) What is your motherboard and did u flash the latest bios?

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/10/03 11:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

gebbly

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Unfortunately the floppy drive is not working in the PC and at present I haven't figured out why.

This would normally lead me to the conclusion that there was an I/O failure on the motherboard but as I have had another hard disk working fine I am not so sure about this.

I will try putting the drive in another amchine and then if I get the same problem use the utility posted. Thanks for the link.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the jumpers are set correctly as I have a drive of the same model (only difference is it is 180GB instead of the problematic ones 120GB) in another machine and it is working fine.

gebbly

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
In reply to point 3 I did try running FIXMBR which is the win2k equivalent of fdisk /mbr and it reported a faulty MBR and then created a new one succesfully.

The motherboard is an A7V333.

Incidentally I have managed to find a single other occurance of this problem on the net on some german web site and now that I think about it they also had an A7V333. Maybe it is a motherboard problem...

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
for what it's worth, the translation:
hello together
I have an enormous problem also asus a a7v33 Main board revision 1,0,2 bought. bios version 12.
first of all it does not bootet no more from the non removable disk, which went before and if I want to install from win the 2000 or xp CD come the message start from ATAPI CD ROM: "NO emulator". the installation continues then, but before the auswahle the partition comes briefly the message: disk i/o error: status 00008051. and breaks starting from bluescreen.
which can be, which is I does maps already rausgenommen, bios is busy, ide cables changed etc. (non removable disk seagate 30gb and maxtor 80GB)
please help me

thanks

RH: asus a7v333 error message with install i/o error
Of: Vegetto to: 05.12.2002, 15:02

The problem had I with the buddy last week also, that had also two non removable disks, was because of the Jumper attitudes of the non removable disks.
Hooking up a floppy can be confusing/tricky especially on older boards and with older cables. Something smells rotten about that.

The loving are the daring!