Seemingly random high-pitched ring from speakers

AltKey

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
Hey there, I've got a question for you all. I have a set of JBL Media 2000 speakers (you know, the PC Gamer rave from yesteryear), and they're bugging the crap out of me. About every 10 seconds or so (the intervals are seemingly random), they emit a high-pitched ring for anywhere from two to ten seconds. The noise persists when I turn off my monitor and gets louder when I turn up the volume on my speakers.

I have two theories on this problem. One is that, hey, the speakers are just old (2000) and ought to be replaced. The other is that it has something to do with the onboard sound chip they're plugged into. I'm using an Asus A7N8X nForce2 board; the "lite" one with the cheap Realtek AC650 instead of the nVidia SoundStorm chip. What do you guys think I'm looking at - err, "listening to" here? Thanks in advance.

AltKey

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
Okay, there's been some development. I downloaded the new nForce2 APU driver from Windows Update, which added a new
"Analog" slider in the volume controls. When I check the box to mute that, the ringing goes away. I'm not sure what the hell I just muted though, heh. Any advice or suggestions from you guys? Thanks.

G

sounds like feedback maybe. this is when your microphone is in front of the speakers which it is driving. sort of an endless loop there that can easily go unstable, and you get loud screeches and squeals and stuff.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I know this is an old post, but if you have not fixed it yet...
Is the sound constant pitch or does it wobble (or phase)?

If it's the former and you have any microphone like equipment (even speakers plugged in the wrong input) it might be feedback.

However I suspet that this is interference from something. If you move stuff around (like your speakers, cables, power strip or even the case itself) and the sound changes charachteristics it is most probably from interference.

Hope this helps...

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

TRENDING THREADS