Current window becomes de-selected randomly

ryankrewer13

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Whether its an internet page, microsoft word, or even a video game chat box, randomly the current active window becomes de-selected (it even changes colors as if you clicked to another) This has been happening randomly for a little while now and i cant figure out what is causing it.

Currently running windows 7. Just upgraded to an i3 sandy bridge and an asus pro3 gen3 board. Problem persisted though the upgrade so i have to assume its something with windows.

Ive also tried 3 different sets of mice and keyboards, sweeping old drivers etc.

Any ideas? has anyone seen this before? its so annoying!

Solution
Have you scanned for viruses? You probably have. If not, run something like malwarebytes. If you have scanned, what did you run?

You can also open up task manager and look for any suspicious processes. Google the process though before deleting any file locations.

You can also run sfc /scannow in the command prompt. This will scan your system files and replace as necessary.

roadkill922

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Have you scanned for viruses? You probably have. If not, run something like malwarebytes. If you have scanned, what did you run?

You can also open up task manager and look for any suspicious processes. Google the process though before deleting any file locations.

You can also run sfc /scannow in the command prompt. This will scan your system files and replace as necessary.

Solution

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
First, check "Sticky-keys" settings, it's possible you have alt/ctrl/shift/windows set to stick mode, where they turn on when pushed and apply to your next keypress as if you were still holding the button (so if you hit alt, then tab, your computer would act like it was alt+tab).

Did you reformat with the new motherboard? It could simply be some flunky program running at startup, could be a buggy install of a program like Logitech Setpoint as well.

Does it happen when you are only typing? How about when just using the mouse? What if you are away from the desk?

ryankrewer13

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Well this is the test, i just finished un-installing a bad version of McAfee. I literally had to remove the registry values because it would just pop up with a blank, white window when trying to un-install. I re-installed microsoft security essentials and ran a full scan. no viruses. I did find some mal-ware/ spy-ware with Spybot and promptly deleted it.

I made sure the sticky keys was off, ive done that before and never again will i be fooled by it. So far ive typed this whole post with success. So i am going to assume it was the spy-ware.

Thanks for the ideas, ill go ahead and run the scannow to be sure nothing is missing. And now ill stress to my mom that keeping the computer clean is just as important at taking out the trash.

Thanks guys!

Neel Khakhar

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013

i got it solved..the problem i think is adobe..get to system config-->start up--> n deselect all adobe programs..n reboot..see if it is solved.. :)