$59 RAID support for up to 16 IDE drives!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10119.html" target="_new">http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10119.html</A>

That's right, 8 IDE ports for up to 16 hard drives, and you can RAID them, for $59. And i'ts a geniune, quality 3ware part.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

svol

Champion
Holy peeperdepeep... that is cheap! Too bad I just have my new RAID-controller and I don't need a replacement unless it would give a huge performance increase if you use this card instead of a HPT370 chip with a 2 drive RAID 0 array.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I think 4 drives in RAID 0 would be faster, and 8 drives faster still...And then there's your 0+1 options, imagine two 8-drive clusters, with all the masters being the first RAID 0 and all the slaves being redundant!

Or how about a nice RAID 5 array?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

svol

Champion
If someone gives me some HDs for free... I just got 2 new ones because the old ones where full.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Holi smok, are you gonna open yer Barns&Noble store or something, why would any body need 2+ TB of HD space?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Heck, my server was feeding 3TB/mo to other users last year. Since then that school has taken ever craftier measures to restrict serving without resticting other high-bandwidth uses. I could use about a TB just for storing all my movies!

But if you use, say, 16 250MB drives, you could support 4TB.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe, I am a little dumb probably, caz I am mixing "feeding" and "storing" words in my brain all the time, or just am confused...

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
The cards probably cheap because the PSU needed to power all the drives isn't :eek:

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Excuse my insolence when I ask if a PCI slot can handle that much data, it doesn't look like PCI 64bit...

I had a much better usertitle but was caught trying to hack me a better one so I got my current title as a punishment

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, no, you're limitted to 133MB/s. But with most modern drives only transfering around 45MB/s continuously, and many of the cheaper drives only transfering around 38MB/s continuously, you could do up to 4 drives in RAID 0 without comprimising performance noticeably. As for using more drives, that might not increase performance but would definately increase storage space. So it's an ideal solution if you need a lot of space and don't expect more than 133MB/s transfer rate.