Speculation: DDR1.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Wondering about DDR1.
Good ole' home grown, baked the way your mother does, born in the USA, honest to goodness, DDR SDRAM.

Initially when released it was only available in PC1600 and PC2100. At that time it was invisaged that PC2700 would be the final iteration and it would be replaced by DDR2 and/or RDRAM as the common memory type.

So when IS DDR1 being phased out? Whats its final speed rating going to be?

PC3200 is an official standard now, with no signs that its going to stop! PC4500 and even PC5000 seems to be available, though not in low latency form nor JEDEC certified.
RDRAM has gone the way of the dodo pretty much with desktop systems, and DDR2 is in scant supply... And the DDR2 that is available seems to run HOT. (see the ram & ramsinks on a FX5800 or R9800pro 256mb)

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i dunno...i think we should move back to good 'ol sdr sdram!

Well it seems that the a64's memory controler will be using some form of DDR ram...i think it will probably be ddr1...ddrII will possibly added in latter revisions...this is just speculation on my part...

It's final speed rating IMO will be pc3200...we have seen in the past that jdec only takes their standards as high as the fastest cpu's fsb...we never got a pc150 standard...and jdec waited for 200mhz fsb cpu's to release the pc3200 standard...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, PC3200 is NOT a success. Try running it in dual channel mode at the fastest settings on an 865/875 board, you'll find very few modules can. In fact, I believe Cas2 isn't even supported in the JEDEC spec.

Anyway, there are problems with the design. That's why you see the huge latency values for the faster versions. Intel knew this was a problem, and was going to introduce DDRII support already. I believe the enthusiast/hobbiest pushed PC3200 into existance, which lead Intel to delay the switch.

DDRII isn't hot! You see it running hot on video cards because...DDRII 1000 is! But Intel and AMD plan on using it at much lower speeds, 400, 533, and 600.

It's only in scant supply because no boards support it! Intel plans on using it with their next P4 chipsets, and probably won't change their mind, since these chipsets are supposed to support it at 400/533 and 533/600. You think we'll see PC4800 DDR1? You think they can get the latency down? Doubtfull as a production item!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
pc5000 is in the works by kingston...i doubt the timmings will be pretty though...and it will probably be running an insane voltage...either way it will be overclocked pc3500...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, pretty soon they'll be back up to 3.3v like in the SDR SDRAM days!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
lol...yup

What voltage will DDR2 run at?

Also other than a significant clock speed bump...will their be any increase in bandwith per mhz between ddr2 and ddr1...

i mean will 400mhz ddr2 perform the same as 400mhz ddr1

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think DDRII is actually QDR, I think it has a bit more latency in real time, but I don't know why.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
What about the corsair twinnex low latency stuff? How doth that fare at 200fsb?

If DDR2 isn't hot, then explain why a 128mb R9800pro with DDR1 @ 340Mhz doesnt need heatsinks, yet the 256Mb version with DDR2 at the same speed does?

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I haven't seen anything to support that.

I basically thought that it is a die shrink and a voltage drop.

Live near Toronto and like to game but you can't make it to Quakecon?
<A HREF="http://www.lanmash.com" target="_new"><b>LANMash2 is the same weekend 300+ gamers!</b></A>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Less voltage, more amps, and a smaller package to disperse the heat.

Winning combination for excess heat.

Live near Toronto and like to game but you can't make it to Quakecon?
<A HREF="http://www.lanmash.com" target="_new"><b>LANMash2 is the same weekend 300+ gamers!</b></A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, HOT is a relative term. System RAM would only be running much slower. And like Bum mentioned, a smaller package doesn't have as much surface area to act as a sink.

I doubt heat would be a problem on the "slow" system RAM modules. Heat spreaders might still be needed to increase surface area however.